About the judge panel. How does it exactly work?

Hello!

I suppose this is a basic question but it is somehow not totally clear to me and I ask it just to understand the process a little bit better I was reading the judge panel faq and I found this paragraph:

Decisions on submissions forwarded to the panel are reached by a majority of a panel quorum; a vote will be closed after three negative votes or four positive votes. Any decision can be further extended to a majority vote of five at the request of a judge. In addition to his power to veto any submission regardless of the panel's decision, djpretzel may also serve as a tiebreaker during particularly divisive decisions.

Does this mean that actually all 7 to 15 judges hear the track and when 3 say no then is over? Or when 4 say yes is also over? Depends then in the order in which the judges hear the track?

You can just check the Judges' decisions topic to see what happens. In general you'll find that it takes about 3 votes, and that Chimpazilla is usually the first to judge it :)

If you browse through that topic a bit you may find some tracks that needed more judges but I doubt any track ever needed to pass through all judges to reach a verdict.

With the new forums in place, I updated the forum links and also clarified the statement on how voting works:

Decisions on submissions forwarded to the panel are reached by a majority of a panel quorum; a unanimous vote will be closed after three negative votes or four positive votes. A split decision will be closed after a difference of three votes (e.g. 5 YES's vs. 2 NO's), or extended to a majority vote at the request of a judge. In addition to his power to veto any submission regardless of the panel's decision, djpretzel may also serve as a tiebreaker during particularly divisive decisions.

Generally speaking, the order in which the panel hears a piece shouldn't matter too much, because

• There have been times where decisions initially going one way have flipped to the other result, but usually by the time 3 judges have heard something, if someone was going to dissent, they would have. For some unanimous decisions, I've sometimes asked for an extra vote due to not being sure if someone else would dissent or not.
  • If a vote is very close, we can have most or all of the judges vote, in case there are enough votes remaining to change the decision;
  • If an artist or the community strongly disagrees with a NO decision and feels it went the wrong way, we'll revisit it.
By being willing to take all of those steps, we try to have a system where the order of voting shouldn't affect the outcome, and if a mistake appears to be made, we'll re-assess it.

With the new forums in place, I updated the forum links and also clarified the statement on how voting works:

Decisions on submissions forwarded to the panel are reached by a majority of a panel quorum; a unanimous vote will be closed after three negative votes or four positive votes. A split decision will be closed after a difference of three votes (e.g. 5 YES's vs. 2 NO's), or extended to a majority vote at the request of a judge. In addition to his power to veto any submission regardless of the panel's decision, djpretzel may also serve as a tiebreaker during particularly divisive decisions.

Generally speaking, the order in which the panel hears a piece shouldn't matter too much, because

• There have been times where decisions initially going one way have flipped to the other result, but usually by the time 3 judges have heard something, if someone was going to dissent, they would have. For some unanimous decisions, I've sometimes asked for an extra vote due to not being sure if someone else would dissent or not.
  • If a vote is very close, we can have most or all of the judges vote, in case there are enough votes remaining to change the decision;
  • If an artist or the community strongly disagrees with a NO decision and feels it went the wrong way, we'll revisit it.
By being willing to take all of those steps, we try to have a system where the order of voting shouldn't affect the outcome, and if a mistake appears to be made, we'll re-assess it.

You can just check the Judges' decisions topic to see what happens. In general you'll find that it takes about 3 votes, and that Chimpazilla is usually the first to judge it :)

If you browse through that topic a bit you may find some tracks that needed more judges but I doubt any track ever needed to pass through all judges to reach a verdict.

Thanks for the answers! I understand now :)

• 3 months later...

I was wondering who I should contact if I believe my submission may have gotten lost in the shuffle.  The email said to contact a judge, but not necessarily which judge I should contact.  I submitted a professionally mixed and mastered song around November last year, and I never saw it on any of the Judge's Decision's forums at all.

Thanks in advance for any help.