Official Nintendo theme park announced

Long time, no post folks.

Yesterday Nintendo have announced that are teaming up with Universal Studios, to make some NEW theme park attractions based on Nintendo franchises. I guess years from now, everyone will say “why play Nintendoland when you can go to the real thing?” by the time it arrives.

Sooooo... any thoughts? Any ideas of what rides they could do? Any franchises you want them to try and adapt in this theme park? Where do you think the theme park will be?

Share your thoughts everyone!

They should make a Star Fox ride like the Star Wars Star Tours ride from Disney!

Star Tours is probably the best ride I've ever been on in my life. I think I would go on it three times in a row when I was little.

Invading Venom tagging along the Star Fox team, getting sucked into a Star Wolf battle, doing Barrel Rolls? That would be the best.

This headline made my eyes widen.  Star Fox Tours would be amazing.

I'm a sucker for dark rides, even as an adult.  They semi-recently renovated the Alice in Wonderland ride at Disneyland, and people have been loving it.  It's a happy marriage between practical audio-animatronic effects as well as projected animations; it's really well done and I could totally picture this in the Mario World.  Maybe the ride vehicle could be Yoshi somehow?  Pipes w/the flowers going up and down, Bowser at the end, I think it would be cool for children and adults to enjoy.  A similar concept could be done in a Donkey Kong world, riding in a barrel or something.  Mario Kart car rides.  Or, a Donkey Kong ride in a barrel similar to the defunct Soap Box Racers ride at Knott's Berry Farm.  They've also been making some cool hybrid rides where you play a game inside the ride.  But, maybe it'd be cool to go in a completely different direction.  Maybe they could somehow incorporate warp pipes into the ride, so that it the experience would be slightly different every time.

For selfish reasons, I think the park should be in California.

The article explicitly says this won't be a new park, just one or more attractions at once of their existing parks. I'm certainly expecting a kart ride, and probably a kiddie play area. But I don't expect them to add anything more than that. Adults would love to see Star Fox, Zelda, etc. but younger folks don't recognize those brands. (See this video).

The article explicitly says this won't be a new park, just one or more attractions at once of their existing parks. I'm certainly expecting a kart ride, and probably a kiddie play area. But I don't expect them to add anything more than that. Adults would love to see Star Fox, Zelda, etc. but younger folks don't recognize those brands. (See this video).

The Wii was the best selling of the last console gen, the 3DS is dominating, people go nuts for amiibos, smartphone games are in-bound, Pokemon is played by a huge age range, and you're suggesting people below the age of probably 20 or so won't know these characters based on a "teens react" video lol  :razz:

Yeah, I'm a little confused as to why you think kids have no concept of Zelda or Star Fox... Both franchises have had multiple releases on Nintendo 3DS and Wii, and more coming for Wii U. "Teens react" videos are also stupid as a concept, and you should note that even though 19-year-old "Madison" has never seen an NES in real life, 19-year-old me definitely was familiar with cartridge blowing intricacies. I've also beaten Star Fox 64 at least 50 times.

Ok, probably not the best source, and I forgot about Pokemon. A Pokemon Snap version of the Buzz Lightyear/Men in Black type rides is a distinct possibility.

But I maintain that Star Fox and Zelda primarily target the young adult to adult demographic these days. They might be intended for adults to recognize and buy for their kids, perhaps, but Mario and Pokemon target kids directly.

The Wii did so amazingly well not because of the full line of Nintendo properties, but because it appealed to a wider range of audience than the other consoles (which focused on the "core" young adult/adult demographic). A lot of folks only had games like Wii Sports and Sports Resort, Wii Fit, Wii Play, and maybe Mario Kart or Mario Party. The Wii sold 101 million units, Sports Resort 32 million, Mario Kart Wii 35 million, Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus collectively 44 million, New SMB Wii 28 million (probably including pack-ins), but Twilight Princess only 7 million and I can't even think of any other non-Mario Nintendo titles in the running (source: vgchartz.com... I know, not 100% accurate, but usually not far off the mark). Even Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were only 11 and 7 million, respectively.

... or like a crossover where it starts off as a Star Fox flight simulation ride, but then your ship breaks down, so Link comes along to help and you continue the adventure in the world of Skyward Sword, because why not.  Donkey Kong Mine Cart roller coaster.  Ooh now that MindWanderer mentioned Super Mario Galaxy, a ride that simulates low gravity.  And then crossover with Metroid.

I'm betting this will come to Orlando first. They have more room there, plus their Hogwarts is already done. California is really tight on space, and they're focused on finishing their version of Hogwarts over the next couple of years (as well as phase 2).

As for Star Fox and Zelda, remember that both franchises are seeing major entries on the Wii U this year and next (since Zelda got pushed back... mrrgrrgrr). And the colorful, cel-shaded style of the new Zelda I think is at least partially intended to appeal to younger gamers, while Twilight Princess I think was them trying to appeal to the older generation. I think when the original Wii first came out, Nintendo felt they needed a major title that said their new machine wasn't just for kids. I feel that Nintendo is long past that phase now, and seem to be focusing on more of an even balance between young/older, casual/hardcore.

Really excited. Only thing I'm pissed about is that it's with Universal, not Disney. I feel like Disneyland/World would rock Nintendo a lot more and it feels like it makes more sense in Disney.  Idk, I know Disney likes to try and stick to Disney stuff for the most part (though there is a store in Epcot's Japan area that has a *ton* of Nintendo stuff; they flashed a crapload of Pokemon stuff in the front windows and the store is not small). Universal seems more reasonable but Disney seems more fitting. Some or a lot of you may disagree but that's how I see it. I've always seen Nintendo as the Disney of video games.

Hell no, the mouse must be stopped. 

I knew someone was gonna say this.

I'm a hardcore Disney lover. So long as we aren't speaking of a couple films including Frozen.

I freaking love Mickey Mouse to death. I have Mickey Mouse stuff all over my room. I have more Mickey than anything. xD

So that's the thing is that Nintendo has always felt like the Disney of video gaming to me. Mario has felt like the Mickey Mouse of video games to me.

And that's the other thing is like, since I feel that way, I also never go to Universal. I've been quite a few times but I take Disneyland/World over Universal easily, no question. So I feel like to spend a couple hours in the Nintendo area and then basically not be interested in much else at Universal is inconvenient. That's more of a me-thing, though. Overall I just see Nintendo as more fitting for Disney. Universal seems too "cool". Sorry, but as cool as I think I am enjoying Nintendo, we all know Nintendo is not the Xbox 360 with Halo 3 on it.

I used to work at Disney World.  I live 20 minutes from there still.  And I'm totally with Angel City Outlaw.

Disney already owns the rights to (or just flat-out owns) a shitload of media properties.  The last thing we need is to see Nintendo added to that list.

This is true. I do honestly jokingly say a lot that "Disney will eventually take over the world" and I mean, you're definitely right. They've bought out so many companies.

Disney is basically the Ottoman Empire of media. Everyone loves and remembers the good things they made and did internally, but history forgets its brutal conquest and slaughter. 

Every studio has its hell. Honestly Disney's history is not nearly as bad as many, actually. But no history goes without its big bs moments or decades or even centuries hahaha

I would've loved to work at Disney in 1935 but I would've hated to work there any time between Walt's death and the late 80's (or even currently). Anyway, that's going a little off-topic. You're definitely not wrong, I can't disagree.