OCR03173 - *YES* Lawnmower Man 'Cyber Mower' *RESUB*

Liontamer

Original Decision

Remixer Name: APZX
User ID: 30429

Game Arranged: The Lawnmower Man (SNES)
Song Arranged: The Streets/Suburbia
Additional Game Information: The SNES version of the game, which is where I pulled the original composition from, had Allister Brimble as the composer. However, there are other versions of the game: DOS/Composer: Fergus McNeill, Sega 
CD/Composer: Unable to locate, Gameboy/Composer: Teque London (not able to find a specific person), and Genesis/Composer: Allister Brimble.
Original Soundtrack for the SNES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoxiH0fOTu4&list=PLAED9ADB3D10DCC4B The specific track for the remix can be found at the following link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJP_IswK4p4

Comments: Right so I'm resubmitting this under the ever so slightly different title of "Cyber Mower v2" because I feel it differs too much from my original vision of the track, which the panel had picked up on, but did not feel it worked for OCR. I completely understood where the panel was coming from honestly, and while originally irate I thought about it and ended up agreeing the with panel in the end. Now, the track is still very much Cyber Mower, just with "enhancements" (I hope). Other than revisiting the mix, which I always had personal complaints about, the primary focus was on the middle of the track. I spent a lot of time deliberating on how best to keep a nebulous middle that was more interesting to listen to. To that end I reworked the macro dynamics of that portion of the track quite a lot. Added in some more instrumentation primarily in the form of another layered pad, a lead that borrows mostly verbatim from the source, and some drums that while short lived I can only describe as cyber meets ambient, which really doesn't make any sense. Overall I have to say that I think the track is more energetic now with a more complex flow. Don't know what else to say.

I'm glad you came around to reworking this after the decision, Austin. As we like to say, we're not here to tear you down, only build you up. :-) No need to call this "v2," since we don't name files with revision numbers, and, like you said, this isn't much different from the structure of the first version, just tweaked and enhanced.

The arrangement was generally good before, so I'm glad you didn't try to overhaul it, because you didn't need to do much to get this above the bar. Glad to hear the volume increased as well, all without harming the overall clarity of the piece. Nice work there.

I still felt some of the synths used were plain (only some though), but it's not just about those sound choices, but how they're used. Now all of the textures click better and sound fuller in the middle, which also enhances everything else. This original version was already well on the way to passing but now the overall sound design is markedly more creative, and the middle section sounds excellent.

With the middle section filled out and made more varied and interesting (e.g. 2:31-3:13), now you're playing with power. Good tasteful usage of SFX and pads; the dropoff still contrasts well from the beat-driven sections, but now the piece isn't too empty in the effort to create that dynamic shift. Also, using the phasing SFX only one time at 3:52 instead of multiple times was a good move; now it really serves as a strong transition point for the piece ramping back up. If you were going to keep it in one place, that was the right spot.

I love mixes from games that haven't been represented on OCR before, so thank you also for bringing in the Lawnmower Man soundtrack to our attention. What else can I say? Excellent revisions. Welcome aboard, Austin!

YES

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!  That middle section was such a huge missed opportunity, now it is COOOOOL.  That's the stuff.  All other issues I mentioned have been addressed.  You made a very good 3d soundscape.  This is epic now, I'm super loving it.  Putting it in my favorites folder.

Just a note for next time... the synth you chose for the final solo is indeed a bit plain but the writing is great.  Next time why not experiment with a patch that has some delayed vibrato or some type of modulation that evolves over time, and then apply some other evolving effects too... WOW you'd have something really dynamite there.

YES

Interesting source and interesting arrangement approach. I liked the spaciousness and relaxed feel of the first minute or so. There was good use of automation and layering to provide direction while keeping the actual melody content minimal. Tasteful use of FX in the middle section and after. Really, I think this kind of arrangement that doesn't focus much on melody is tough to do. It's very easy to be too aimless or too repetitive, but you successfully avoided that.

Production is solid, with room for improvement. The kick/bass was a little flabby, and I think a leaner, clickier kick would have suited this better. The solo also was a little plain and Chimpa's suggestion to add vibrato or more glide would be stellar. What's here works though, so cool beans.

YES

Not having heard the original, all I can say is this sounds clean, I can hear a good arrangement, and I'm digging the throwback feel. Also, great choice of source--for sheltered former homeschoolers like me who've never heard of a game like "Lawnmower Man," this is a great introduction to a funky, not-as-mainstream source. Great work!

YES