[WIP]Stickerbrush symphony - Donkey Kong country 2

Sokkasm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_o8zXd8Upk

I think this is the composition I want to work with. I'm having trouble with mixing though; I pretty much just laid down every instrument and now I'm not sure how to make everything sound less muddy! I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask about that though

edit:updated 

thank you all for the suggestions! I went back and took the advice on choosing better instruments, specifically the bass. The EQing tips were also very helpful

A remix of a remix, remixception. (I love the brawl version)

But seriously, I like it, the biggest problem is the drums sound very fake and are repetitive, and the guitar sounds like it needs an upgrade.

Maybe also you can have a part where the beat and the mood changes in the middle, to have more contrast in the song.

I think a realistic drum VST with humanization added would make it much better. Also, I don't know if the guitar is midi or recorded. If it is midi, same thing, a better virtual Instrument would improve it. If you recorded it yourself, I'm not sure, maybe you have to master the guitar track to make it sound more bright.

Just sticking to the EQ/Mixing side of things, I've got some suggestions...

I'd start by doing some subtractive EQing on every instrument, as opposed to boosting things trying to get the right sound. That's when things start to get muddy, and before you know it every track is battling to be heard. I don't hear many offending higher frequencies in your song, but the kick, bass and the guitar undertones are all competing for a similar frequency space, and that's when you start getting phase cancellation (2 signals in the same frequency that are out of phase with each other, resulting in a level loss) and other unpleasant sonic shiz.

There's a ton of online literature about subtractive EQing. Snoop around on youtube and see what you find. I don't know FL, but here's a video that breaks it down a little (in Irish brogue, no less)

Then to expand on that, you can start 'carving out' frequencies for each instrument so that each occupies its own little slice of audio land. I like to use a parametric EQ so that it's a visual thing.

The sounds are a bit General Midi-ish for my taste, but I'm a believer that you can create vibe from just about anything so if you're strapped on VSTs, you can still make things feel interesting. Alas, I would definitely get rid of the slap bass patch and use something smoother.

• 3 weeks later...

Just sticking to the EQ/Mixing side of things, I've got some suggestions...

I'd start by doing some subtractive EQing on every instrument, as opposed to boosting things trying to get the right sound. That's when things start to get muddy, and before you know it every track is battling to be heard. I don't hear many offending higher frequencies in your song, but the kick, bass and the guitar undertones are all competing for a similar frequency space, and that's when you start getting phase cancellation (2 signals in the same frequency that are out of phase with each other, resulting in a level loss) and other unpleasant sonic shiz.

There's a ton of online literature about subtractive EQing. Snoop around on youtube and see what you find. I don't know FL, but here's a video that breaks it down a little (in Irish brogue, no less)

Then to expand on that, you can start 'carving out' frequencies for each instrument so that each occupies its own little slice of audio land. I like to use a parametric EQ so that it's a visual thing.

The sounds are a bit General Midi-ish for my taste, but I'm a believer that you can create vibe from just about anything so if you're strapped on VSTs, you can still make things feel interesting. Alas, I would definitely get rid of the slap bass patch and use something smoother.

This was very helpful, thank you