Chimpazilla

Contact Info:
Remixer: Nate Tronerud
Full Name: Nathanael Tronerud
UserID: n/a

Submission Info:
Game: Dragon Quest IV
Arrangement: Chapter 2: March of the Tomboy Princess
Original SongAlena's Theme (link leads to YouTube)
Composer: Koichi Sugiyama
System: NES/Famicom
Comments: Having adapted Ragnar's theme from Chapter 1, I've moved on to Chapter 2 in a similar fashion. As before, I attempted to orchestrate the original tune whilst avoiding Sugiyama's own choices from the symphonic suite. I decided to take a narrative approach to the arrangement, and so the track follows loosely the ups and downs of the story during this chapter. Beginning lightly and distantly in the celesta, and at a slower tempo than the original, Alena escapes the confines of her home and makes her way out into a dangerous world. The music grows dynamically with the whole orchestra as she attempts to prove herself. Finally, the movement finishes with a short and quiet variation on her theme in the upper woodwinds that ends with an airy, open harmony, that signals the end of the chapter and a continuation of the story.

As before, I used a MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM. The specific sample libraries utilized in this arrangement were CineBrass Pro, East West Quantum Leap, and LA Scoring Strings in Logic Pro 9.

Thank you!

I'm really liking this adaptation of this source.  It sounds magical and moody and Harry Potter-esque in the intro with the celesta, and when that piano begins at 0:28, I love the soft piano tone, it conveys sadness even while the writing is upbeat.  The deep bassoon that follows drowns out the piano a little bit, but it is comically ominous.  When the soundscape opens up at 1:07 it sounds wonderful.  The flourishes at 1:23 are excellent.  I really like the writing and instrumentation in the second half of this track, and the mixing is good except the bass is a touch too loud between 1:07-2:05, it is somewhat boomy.  The outro seems so quiet by comparison to the preceding section, I wish there was a more smooth cooldown section leading to the outro.  I also wish the epic section lasted longer, this is a short track.  You used your samples quite well here.  If this doesn't pass, please tame the bass from 1:07-2:05.

YES

Great arrangement.  Great orchestration, great dynamics, great interplay.

Minor quibble: the piano solo in the beginning is sequenced pretty flat for this genre.  A pianist performing a section like that is probably going to go for a much more delicate dynamic; inject some of his/her own personality to the performance.  It sticks out as flat in an otherwise dynamic arrangement.

Major quibble:  So damn short.  Oh well.

YES

Note, we'll need a different arrangement title, because what's here is essentially the official name of the source, i.e. "Tomboy Princess's March."

Props for actively distinguishing yourself from Sugiyama's Symphonic Suite version. When Nate says, "The music grows dynamically with the whole orchestra as she attempts to prove herself," you absolutely get that imagery from the way things shifted at 1:07 and continued to intensify all the way until 1:30 finally topped off the energy level and stayed there until 2:05. Short arrangement and melodically conservative, but it personalizes the source nicely and says a lot!

YES

Wow, way to do a lot in only a little bit of time.  I love the tones and writing in the intro.  Great dynamics in this piece.  Solid production.

Personal preference warning: with how big the build is, it felt like there should be some sort of cymbal (roll or crash) to accentuate the downbeat at 1:48.  Anyway, as a whole, transitions are really good.

Nice work

YES