Studio One 3 - My new main DAW

The S1 piano roll is solid. Very intelligently designed all around. The draw curve selection process can get convoluted but I don't see any logical way around that. I dislike how they have the tab at the end of the note that you click for deletion. It's a cool idea but I don't think it's as effective when you're trying to run around quickly entering notes and resizing whatever needs resizing.

Also the batch MIDI editing isn't that strong. In Cubase I have macros that quantize entire sections with different offset values (like if I want my kick drum to be looser than my hihat) with a single command. I can very easily change relatively velocities of the entire sequence with a single easy to reach function, I can transpose the entire sequence to the key of the song or whatever information is in my chord track, set up complex legato rules that automatically create legato transitions of my entire sequence with one click (very useful for orchestral programming). Something else that's really cool is that you can set a MIDI/instrument track to follow the chord track (cubase has a chord track that lets you enter the entire chord progression of your song) and so whatever you play will be locked to the chords that are set (or the relative scales, there are tons of input transforming options). So what you can do is enable QWERTY input (cubase lets you use your typing keyboard to record MIDI input) and just play any random keys and it'll be in key to the music. All this stuff coupled with the completely programmable MIDI function editor makes it really tough for S1 to compete with Cubase right now. But who knows, S1 4 might bring it closer.

And to this day there is no piano roll that even comes close to the Cubase Drum Editor. S1 and Reaper try but they fall short in the most simple and frustrating ways... :(

I've read a lot that S1 is poorly optimized and maxes out the processor easier than most other DAWs.  I wonder if they've optimized it better in the new version.  The scratch pad is kinda cool.  I demoed it a couple years back and don't remember in making an impression on me, but then again I'm so used to my own unique convoluted workflow, macros and custom shit in Reaper I'm not sure any other DAW would be able to replicate that. :-)  the Melodyne integration in S1 is amazing though and I wish Reaper had that. :-(

The S1 piano roll is solid. Very intelligently designed all around. The draw curve selection process can get convoluted but I don't see any logical way around that. I dislike how they have the tab at the end of the note that you click for deletion. It's a cool idea but I don't think it's as effective when you're trying to run around quickly entering notes and resizing whatever needs resizing.

I don't think that's how it works; I think you're describing the bigger problem, which is that clicking on a note with the pencil tool (anywhere in its duration) will delete it. The tab you see isn't for deletion, it's actually a visual indicator of the note's velocity value. It has no functional significance.

I've read a lot that S1 is poorly optimized and maxes out the processor easier than most other DAWs.  I wonder if they've optimized it better in the new version. 

This may be a result of the DSP being done in 64-bit floats, which can increase computation resources. Hard to disspell hearsay. :P

Oh daaamn, looks to be true. That's just silly. I mean, the FL studio alternative (at least when I was using FLstudio) was to click twice to remove a note, which is just as dumb.

This topic has turned to "I think this is better." -"No way man, I think this is better!" -"Whattttt? You're all crazy, I think Saw Studio is the best!"

Oh daaamn, looks to be true. That's just silly. I mean, the FL studio alternative (at least when I was using FLstudio) was to click twice to remove a note, which is just as dumb.

This topic has turned to "I think this is better." -"No way man, I think this is better!" -"Whattttt? You're all crazy, I think Saw Studio is the best!"

Well, there is an option to allow both left/right click in the piano roll, so you could right click to remove any number of notes. *shrug*

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've not only seen what S1V3 offers but actually gone ahead and upgraded, I can finally say that I'm ditching Cubase and going all-in.

PreSonus know what they're doing, they've made some amazing changes, added new features, and (most importantly) maintained the approachability and stability and workflow this DAW is known (and loved) for.

I'm super-psyched and I'm just sharing the news here in case someone else is looking to switch, or looking for their first DAW.

I'm now something of an S1 evangelist/fanboy, and while I still respect & love 'em all, S1 is my new best friend, and I look forward to a long relationship with it.

I've had studio one ever since the beginning. Will upgrade to V3 once I get my Custom PC