OCR03185 - *YES* Chrono Cross & Chrono Trigger 'Timewarp'

DragonAvenger

• DjjD (feat. Giles Teskey, Jeff Ball, LuketheXJesse, Krank, Ben Briggs...)
  • Jacob Diaz
  • http://soundcloud.com/djjdstudios

• Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross
  • Timewarp
  • "Sealed Door" and "Dead Sea"
  • Man, where do I even begin with this one. It started like...8-9 months ago when I showed one of my friends a small 30 sec clip of Dead Sea. I got inspired by DrumUltima's wip from years ago. When I started to get really into it, I showed it to Dustin (TheoryofN) and he stated that "Sealed Door" was really similar and that it would work really well. From there, I added rhythm guitar clips from my good friend Giles, talked to Ben and Drew about adding some solos, talked to Jeff to lay down a small violin segment over the rhythm guitar part Luke had already added, and finally spoke to Krank (formerly known as Dj Bjra) to finish off the last of the 3 solo spots. 

All in all, it was a mission to get this one finished. I hope you guys enjoy it!

I contemplated if this was a DP, because there are a lot of really cool things going on, and the production is pretty sweet as well. I ended up panelling it mostly due to the repetitiveness of the arpeggio in the background and due to the solos making things get a bit away from the source at times. Aside from that, I have no problem giving this a YES, just felt it was a little below the point of a direct post.

YES

I get your concerns totally Deia.  However, I find that it is that arp that ties the track together and keeps the source present even during the solos.  I love this track, it is mellow, groovy, detailed, and cohesive even with that many people involved.  Each solo is unique and super well done.  Could have just been a DP.  Favorites folder.

YES

Wow, the level of detail on this track is stellar! It is true that the background arp repeats for the majority of the track, but really it feels more like a glue than a crutch, forming some kind of solid base to tie the track back to the source while just about every other element evolves and develops around it. The solos are strong and give a lot of character to the mix, but the rest of the backing track is so compelling that it doesn't feel like you're just throwing star power at your remix to compensate for a weak concept. On the contrary, it's the little string stabs, drum fills, and other organic instruments that I find myself appreciating the most on repeat listens.

Really, this one's firing on all cylinders. Super strong, ambitious track, maybe the best thing you've submitted so far Jake! Bravo!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I find that it is that arp that ties the track together and keeps the source present even during the solos.

She's right on the money; the arp serves as a base, not a crutch. Always a big fan of anything that uses "Sealed Door," by the way, one of Uematsu's underrated classics. Excellent piece, and nothing more to add other than "Nice work, Jake & everyone," and "Let's go." :-)

YES