OCR03241 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 'Honour, Pride, Green Tea'

Chimpazilla

Submission Information
  • Games Arranged: Final Fantasy VII
  • Name of Arrangement: "Honour, Pride, Green Tea"
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Cosmo Canyon, Cid's Theme
  • This mix was a fun little ditty I honestly did over a year ago and never submitted maybe I was just lazy I don't know and I'm honestly writing a godawful run on sentence so I'm sorry about that. 

But yeah, I'm really into Eastern Ethnic Instruments like the Shamisen, Erhu and Guzheng (to the point where I own a Shamisen and Erhu(too bad I wasn't confident enough to actually record the parts in to layer them with my samples lel)). I felt like these two sources really lent themselves to that ethereal sound and decided to finally sub this mix. That's pretty much it mang. 

This could possibly have been a DP.  The plucked string samples sound a bit stiff, most noticeably in the intro, but I'm not sure how one would make them less stiff with this type of writing, therefore the samples are used really well.  The arrangement gets repetitive with that motif over and over, that is my biggest complaint, but the instrument set is fantastic, as is the supportive writing.  The woodwinds in particular are a highlight.  I wish the track had been mastered just a little louder, but it has lovely dynamic range.  Really enjoying this overall.

YES

• 3 weeks later...
Noticeably stiff timing, I'll agree there. I don't think it's purely excused by the instrument set, but what's here was fine. Pretty much agreed with Chimpa's critique; a little repetitive with the main "Cosmo Canyon" backing pattern, but the overall concept was creative and also varied enough. The combination and intergration of Cid's theme clicked well, and though the dynamic curve could have been wider, what's here works very well. Nice job with the solo shot, Callum; you've arrived. :-)

YES

Yeah, intro is pretty rigid with the exposed plucked strings.  It becomes less noticeable once other elements join and it blends better.  Gonna agree on the comments that the backing cosmo canyon pattern could/should've been varied up more.  Still, the interpretation on both themes was really well executed.

Nice sequencing work on the wind leads.  While they won't necessarily pass as live instruments, it's obvious a lot of detailed work was put in to get details like pitch bends put in throughout.  Nice transition to Cid's theme.  The lower strings supporting the leads sounds particularly Jack Chan <or insert your favorite martial artist here> movie-esque.

Lots of attention to detail throughout.  Really enjoyed listening to this one.  Nice work.

YES

• 3 weeks later...