OCR01511 - *YES* Shining Force CD 'Five-Sided Square'

Liontamer

Hi there.

My name is Quinn Fox, and I am submitting a song to OCR.

The song title is 'Five-Sided Square,' and is a remix from Shining Force CD (sega CD).

The track can be found at....

See ya!

~Quinn

quinnfox@comcast.net

www.quinn.50g.com

------------------------------------------------------

Shining Force CD - 14 "Open Plains"

I believe that's the right name of the source tune I have, as I've never seen a rip of the soundtrack available. In any case, we have the right one.

I remember we had some judge candidates review this track over a year ago. The track's had a while to simmer on my hard drive since that time. When I first heard it way back when, I didn't like the track much. I'm a big fan of the melodic arrangement and was surprised by how well the minimalism worked. There's good variation in the sounds used to arrange the source as well.

TO mentioned way back that the hats seemed a bit too loud, which I agreed with. Nothing major. The countermelodic writing was pretty smartly written; it's too bad most won't notice it.

The main hangup I had were the drums. They have a decent enough groove, but it just seemed like you fit in a couple of different loops and that was it. Dunno if you were relying on some presets at the base for 'em, but either way, I wish they felt more integral to the mix.

Despite reservations, there was enough creativity in the arrangement of the melody and the handling of the countermelodic material, plus the style was pulled off pretty well. Most attempts with something like this in mind wouldn't sound nearly as cohesive. I could see how a vote could go either way.

YES (borderline)

• 3 weeks later...

This mix is deceptively simple, well written, and displays a wide palette of sonic textures.

The production could've been a little tighter...for example, there were parts where I thought you should've reined in the kick and hi-hat a bit more, but that's the only major issue that stands out to me.

I don't really have a whole lot to add to this vote. Nice work, Quinn.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Very atmospheric, ambient sounding piece. The arrangement is very engaging, with the textures ever changing. This is definitely something different, and treads that fine line between quirky and weird - I could see why Liontamer though that this could end up being an overall yes or no.

I did think the hats were a touch too loud, and there were times when I thought that perhaps relying on slightly altered drumloops was making the percussion elements boring - but as soon as that thought entered my head, the groove changed. Very original, very good, very quirky.

YES