OCR01498 - Super Street Fighter II Turbo "I Don't Fight Boys"

djpretzel

Well, goddamn is one way to put it.

The groove of Malcos + the piano of RTF? That is a recipe for instant success right there.

I love how it starts out with one groove, then switches to another but never loses the momentum. It's beautiful.

This is now my excuse when I do horribly in Street Fighter; I was too busy grooving to this song!

Nice. One of my favorites from the project.

Xenon's right about the groove changing on this one. What first sounds like an Asian/Bossa Nova hybrid evolves into breaks and ambient.

This mix is silky smooth. I wish it didn't cut off abruptly at the last pad, but no matter.

Little "story behind the music" moment:

This is my third attempt to remix Chun-Li’s Theme. My previous two arrangements were also destined to Shael Riley’s “Blood on The Asphalt”. The first one was actually pretty bad and died along with my old hard drive (lost lots of fun stuff there). After that I though the track would certainly be taken and remixed by someone else, but it remained free, so I went and tackled it a second time, which turned out to be a quite decent effort (I owe loads to this project, I improved a lot awhile working on it), however, it was messy and, in a very specific way, not following the genre lines Shael established, so I ended up dropping the track a second time. By that time, Malcos was already banging the project like mad, he had already done Balrog, Dhalsim and started remixing Cammy (another track with quite a background). After a while he mentioned he wanted to collab with someone on it and I stepped forth. In the meantime, for whatever reason, I started writing a third arrangement of the Chun-Li’s theme (ok, a like the source, sorry), which was coming out much better then the other two, after Malcos took a listen on the WIP we agreed to start sweeping tracks. While he worked on Cammy, I worked on Chun-Li, and so on and so forth, in some sort of musical Tennis. During this period Shael was really busy and almost never available, so I was really hoping he would like the end result. Hopefully, he did.

… or at least I think he did, never really asked actually.

RTF and Malcos' collabs were my favorite songs from the BotA project. You guys do outstanding collab works. I have to mirror what djp said about this. It's so smooth and perfectly put together that it's pretty much impossible to tell who did what on this song. I hope to hear more collabs from you two in the future.

Also, I'm shocked as to how far RTF has come in so little time. I remember hearing some of your stuff on vgmix around a year ago and thinking it was all right, and now you've been blowing me away with your music. Props to you, man.

Also, I'm shocked as to how far RTF has come in so little time. I remember hearing some of your stuff on vgmix around a year ago and thinking it was all right, and now you've been blowing me away with your music. Props to you, man.

Thanks dude. It's just a good deal of homework, eating lot's of vegetables for vitamins and obeying my mom.

Very chill. It just grooves well from start to finish.

Some parts of the song remind me alitte of music you would hear from a sonic theme.

Definitely worth mentioning that at 3:29 the piano groovin' just starts kicking ass and taking names, luck for all of us the background beat isn't a whit behind.

I'd say this is now one of my favorite SF remixes.

Excellent work.

You guys do outstanding collab works. I have to mirror what djp said about this. It's so smooth and perfectly put together that it's pretty much impossible to tell who did what on this song.

That's because I was kidnapped by an evil organization and infused with Malcos cells to use some of his awesomeness. DJP is spelling my name wrongly, it is K'aio.

Wait, is this the right fighting game?

Really enjoy this track. Actually, it's my favorite out of the entire project. Just goes to show you what great stuff the combined efforts of two great remixers can accomplish. Look foward more stuff from you two.

Edit: I have to say, some of the titles on the songs from this project made me lol. Who came up with that stuff? :lol:

Tokyo Slapdown!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hotness. Can I end it right there? :)

This remix incorporates different styles with a lot of thought put into transitions. I've always thought of Chun-Li's stage music as kind of bland if not stereotypical, but this spin on the music (even in the first 15 seconds) makes me really enjoy it a lot more than I used to.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Smooth.

Great solos and very catchy chord comping. The percussion is great, with perfect panning, and some very well put-together layering. Great synth choices, and lots of nice textures. Nothing completely knocks me out of my chair, but it's really solid work and is great to loop. I've been jammin with this one for the last half hour or so. Nice work, I think you guys should collab more frequently. :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Such an awesome take. And IIRC that's a Garageband loop that opens up the track. Wherever the loop was from, it fits well.

Light jazz really suits Chun-Li's theme, though I would have never expected it. Along with the AWESOME synth writing, and fun comping, the ideas in this mix really shine and are such a great example of the creative interpretation that makes artists like Malcos & RTF and the community at large so great.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01498 - Super Street Fighter II Turbo "I Don't Fight Boys"
  • 5 years later...