OCR00601 - Chrono Trigger "Ruined World (Eternal Derelict)"

orkybash

You know how Florida had that string of hurricanes a few months back, right? Well, right after Hurricane Charlie had gotten a little ways away from my neighborhood, I had to go help one of my mom's friends tape up some cardboard over a broken window.

So I was walking to her house, and as odd as it sounds, the first thing I thought of after stepping outside was this mix. It's one of the best I've ever heard. :)

• 5 months later...

All I can think of right now to describe this track will never do it justice. It stands on its own, and my upcoming comparison won't show that, but this mix is unique. No one else on OCR sounds anything like CotMM, and hats off to him for accomplishing this. That said...

This song reminds me deeply of the music of A Silver Mt. Zion (not so much the newer stuff with the choir and the swelling, exploding, incredibly loud musical joy they've developed, but more along the lines of the quiet, reflective, and far more hopeless sounding He Has Left Us But... era); slow, somber, sorrowful, simply beautiful.

This will be in my playlist quite a bit in the future, and is easily my favorite CT mix, if not one of my favorite OCR mixes at all.

• 2 weeks later...

The first time I heard this, I thought it was crap. The second time, I thought it was OK. The third, it was good. The fourth time however, I realized that this remix is truly great. Very atmospheric and, like djp said, "epic." The reason for the premature sour misjudgement could have been because it was one of the first remixes I heard on this site over 3 years ago. I mean, the first remix I heard was Blind's "Dream of Zeal", a bit hard to measure up to even to this day. Still, this remains one of my favorite CT remixes.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is totally different for being CotMM, no beats at all and there are lovely strings that pierces through the depressive mood this hole song engulfs.

I get very poetic when I hear beautiful stuff, so I guess this one really is one of them. It doesn´t get very melodic, but come to think of it, "Ruined World" didn´t really have one, it was just a bell beating randomly with the wind blowing at the side. But at the end, you CAN hear a melody, "The Day The World Revived".

Very different of you, CotMM, and very good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow. :) Good job with this. I don't know how but this song completely holds my attention for every freakin second. If you've listened to the Flaming Lips this is like one of their non-vocal/atmospheric tracks that are thrown in each album, which I tend to like. So kudos for that, and kudos big time for taking such a simple song and making such a simple ReMix that can grab attention and heartstrings like beggin' strips to dogs. This is pretty mindblowing stuff.

• 5 months later...

This is my favorite piece of work on this site. It's also one of the first OCRs I ever downloaded. Whether that colors my perception or not doesn't really matter- this remix is the the video game remixing scene's answer to legendary and powerful works like Adagio for Strings. Like Adagio for Strings, it is (if not the most) one of the most emotionally evocative pieces in its class. Absolutely stunning.

But I bet I'd be shutting my speakers off pretty fast if someone came in my dorm and it happened to be playing.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So far in my race to 1000, this is easily the worst remix so far.

Yes it evolves, yes it creates a scene of imagery. But it evolves just about as fast as prehistoric man from a protozoa, and it conjures up imagery of me sitting long and hard on the crapper in a meditative state.

If this is such an obscure song that THIS was well thought out upgrade to it, then I never want to hear the original song. If this is a piece that sounds like it comes straight from an epic moment in a movie, then I need the movie to accompany this because I can't get enjoyment out of this alone. Sometimes music that is part of a movie soundtrack only belongs with a movie and cannot standalone. I feel that this is one of those pieces.

CotMM for the most part is higher on the food chain than this regarding his remixes.

• 5 months later...

I suppose it helps to know the context of this song in the game (e.g. the review preceding this one), but this song perfectly accomodates the scene in Chrono Trigger. this piece is so sad and it incorporates No Hope into it fairly well. I definitely like this better than Children of the Monkey Machine's similar mix for Silent Hill (maybe that's because i've never played it, though). Although hardly a song, this piece is epic

• 7 months later...
So far in my race to 1000, this is easily the worst remix so far.

Yes it evolves, yes it creates a scene of imagery. But it evolves just about as fast as prehistoric man from a protozoa, and it conjures up imagery of me sitting long and hard on the crapper in a meditative state.

If this is such an obscure song that THIS was well thought out upgrade to it, then I never want to hear the original song. If this is a piece that sounds like it comes straight from an epic moment in a movie, then I need the movie to accompany this because I can't get enjoyment out of this alone. Sometimes music that is part of a movie soundtrack only belongs with a movie and cannot standalone. I feel that this is one of those pieces.

CotMM for the most part is higher on the food chain than this regarding his remixes.

To be fair, there really isn't much to the original... they sound quite similar, with CotMM's having more depth, of course but the fact remains. It's not really a song at all... it's more a mishmash of sounds that create the feel of a dystopian future. It is a strange mix to listen to if you're not familiar with the source tune and the scenes it accompanies, but if you do know it, you see how it fits.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey, I was just letting Shuffle go through my OC Remix folder, and this came on. It somehow inspired me to make a video, so I opened Sony Vegas, and after about an hour of picture and clip hunting and track motioning, I pumped out this and threw it up on YouTube. I guess it falls under the definition of a 'music video' but I'd refrain for actually calling it one. I'unno. Just watch if you want.

Do see description, please.

• 1 year later...

I've never written a review on this site before, but I felt that this piece deserved the effort. I originally downloaded it years ago, probably when it was first released.

Initially, I didn't like it, as I was in the mood for something with more of a melody or beat. However, at some point later I listened to it when in more of a downer mood, and found that it fit perfectly. Since then, this piece has become my favourite on the site, and over the years since then I've probably listened to it hundreds of times.

This one isn't for when you want to dance or feel badass or whatnot. This one is when you just want to sit or lay back quietly, close your eyes and think on life, or when you're feeling down and want a score to reflect your mood.

I want to thank Children Of The Monkey Machine for this piece. It has helped me through some hard times.

• 3 years later...

After listening to this for years and years, I'm listening again tonight, and realize I never posted my appreciation - so I went and re-found this posting. No one may ever read it now, more than a decade later, but know that you took many to a special place with this: a ruined, abandoned future of wind and cold rain, of hunger and loss. Truly, truly, truly special. Thank you.

• 8 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00601 - Chrono Trigger "Ruined World (Eternal Derelict)"