OCR03154 - Mega Man 3 "Harder Than Steel"

Liontamer

With OCR around, I hardly ever feel the need to buy music.  I pre-ordered History Repeating.  Money damn well spent.  Their lyrics are cheesy but often clever, their arrangements are a lot of fun, and their playing is fantastic (listen closely to the guitar solo in Annihilation of Monsteropolis--most guitarists just sort of smush their fingers all over the strings at that part, but they hit every note.  I finally understood "hammer-on/pull-off" outside of Guitar Hero once I saw this live).

If only they'd write faster.. I believe they all have full-time non-music jobs, so I get it, but man it's hard to wait years between each of their albums.

The Megas' album History Repeating: Blue is I think some of the best use of Mega Man source material I have heard in the VGM remix community, at least for it's cohesiveness in one album.  Similar to what MindWanderer said, it was money well spent.  I bought the album and decided to listen to it when I need to drive my motorbike across the city in crazy traffic to run an absurd bureaucratic task, and I think the album looped around four or five times before I got back home.  The first half builds incredibly well.  History Repeating: Red, where this track comes from is also worth a listen.  Like djpretzel said, the stories they tell in the songs warrant a close listen.

Sounds like an 80s remix with less reverb on it. Very well done!

I agree with that, but I wonder if it was done on purpose or a result of the iffy mixing / mastering.  Granted not all "rock" mixes need to be mixed with high energy and impact, but I personally would have dug it more with a more balanced mix. It's an awesome arrangement though and it's cool to finally see a vocal mix posted on youtube not get absolutely slaughtered. 

I'm new to the Megas, so perhaps I'm late to the game, but WOW this is an impressively engaging and agressive vision - lyrical rock to Mega Man. And damned if the lyrics aren't REALLY good - these aren't just words for the sake of words. I see what people are talking about with the 80's power rock - it's actually perfect. I can't imagine that's an accident. Congrats to this entire group - pretty amazing.  

I will be checking out more from these artists.

• 2 weeks later...

It's almost like Mega Man meets Punch-out with the 80's style boxing anthem mixed with Hard Man's theme, and I totally dig it. I've really loved the Mega's music ever since I heard their take on Air Man, and they do not disappoint with this mix. The song not only builds on Hard Man's theme in the way that a ReMix should, the lyrics and the way the theme swells and builds with the chorus near the end also tells a pretty good story, which is a plus. This is an incredible ReMix and an instant download for sure.

• 5 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR03154 - Mega Man 3 "Harder Than Steel"