FEEDBACK NEEDED: Additional Artist Profile Fields for Plugins/Libraries??

In addition to specifying DAWs and instruments, I'd like for artists to be able to indicate on their profiles which plugins and/or sample libraries they commonly use.

I don't want OCR to maintain a massive list of plugins/libraries as part of our own system though - too much maintenance. DAWs are one thing, but the number of plugs/libs out there is ginormous, and KVR do a fine job covering most of it.

So, there are a few different ways we can do this:

1. A single text field "Favorite Plugins/Libraries" where artists can simply type in something like "Kontakt, Omnisphere, Spitfire Albion, Reaktor, & Sylenth1"
  2. Two text fields - "Favorite Plugins" and "Favorite Sample Libraries" so that the two items are divided, but still involving manual text entry, comma-separated,
  3. A list of common choices for 20 or so plugins, PLUS a textbox for additional plugins/libraries - so very common plugs like Kontakt, Omnisphere, Massive, Sylenth1, Spire, etc. could be included... would want to limit this to 20 options MAX, FYI, for usability

What do y'all think? Anything's better than nothing and I feel like this information could be useful.

I'm also not sure if "Favorite" is the best word... theoretically someone could LOVE a plugin and not actually own it, or even use it... open to suggestions, but it might be the best option simply because no better option exists.

I would go for #1; most concise IMO, and it doesn't make it so OCR has to have a plugins/libraries database (right?). The only "problem" is, if the person doesn't type in the developer name too, it might not be super identifiable, and perhaps ambiguous in certain cases. For example...

sfz and sforzando may be the same Italian notation in music, but they're two different plugins---sfz by Cakewalk and sforzando by PLOGUE.

So, MAYBE add a fourth option?

• One text box for the developer name, and one text box for the plugin/library name. i.e.

u-he Zebra2
    Cakewalk sfz
    Impact Soundworks Plectra Series 4: Turkish Oud

If it's possible, a tag system like many BBS software uses might be nice.  Let it be a fill-in, but with autocomplete suggestions, so that tags can be consistent for the purpose of searches, etc.  Anything anyone else has already entered would be suggested.  This has many of the strengths of #3 without a giant list of clutter.  Not sure I see the advantage of #2.

"Favorite" is probably best--with this community I don't think people will list plugins they don't use, especially if it's in the same section as DAWs.

• 6 months later...