Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Oil Ocean remix

noTuX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Bump.

I wasn't really sure if I should start a new topic, or just bump this one since I am picking back up on this old WIP under an different name.  Let me know if I should, mods.

Hey everyone!  This is the artist formerly known as Blue Magic.  I decided to retire the old user name (long story).  Anyway, my new remixer name is NoTuX and after a bit of a break, I'm slowly easing myself back into music and remixing.  I plan on re-remixing alot of my old WIPs and submitting them as well as putting out some new stuff.  Ultimately, I would like to go into full on music production eventually since I will be receiving my dad's studio equipment.  I promised him I will put it to good use, so this is kind of a new start.

Anyway, here is an updated version.  It's kinda conservative, so I'm not sure if it is OCR worthy.  Let me know what you all think.

Holy crap, has it really been nearly 4 years????

I finished this a while back, but after check out Joshua Morse's Super Sonic Fusion Collection on bandcamp, I was inspired to revisit it to make further improvements. Of course, its is nowhere near his quality, but I feel like I definitely improved my sound. So, I thought I'd share what I have.

New version: 

This piece has got a lot of different feels going on from the different instruments, and I for one like it! You've got the kinda grungy, oily feel from the original in the bass and such, a sorta hip-hop vibe from the percussion (perhaps mostly from the 'uh!'), and that exotic eastern sound from the leads. Quite an audio smoothie, which goes down smooth and clean, like gasoline. That said, I think you've got something pretty special here. The variety in sound is engaging and enthralling while not quite being distracting. It evokes distinctive desert imagery, with more than a touch of industry. Nice work on this!

8 hours ago, Souperion said:

This piece has got a lot of different feels going on from the different instruments, and I for one like it! You've got the kinda grungy, oily feel from the original in the bass and such, a sorta hip-hop vibe from the percussion (perhaps mostly from the 'uh!'), and that exotic eastern sound from the leads. Quite an audio smoothie, which goes down smooth and clean, like gasoline. That said, I think you've got something pretty special here. The variety in sound is engaging and enthralling while not quite being distracting. It evokes distinctive desert imagery, with more than a touch of industry. Nice work on this!

Thanks a lot! I had a blast redoing this mix, but I'm still not satisfied with the guitar section, so I'll keep tweaking that part.

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2019 at 6:12 PM, noTuX said:

Holy crap, has it really been nearly 4 years????

I finished this a while back, but after check out Joshua Morse's Super Sonic Fusion Collection on bandcamp, I was inspired to revisit it to make further improvements. Of course, its is nowhere near his quality, but I feel like I definitely improved my sound. So, I thought I'd share what I have.

New version: 

Sorry for the wait on hearing back on a review, but glad to check this out now.

I'm not bothered by anything being "too conservative" here, as you have a lot going on to set it apart from the original song. The lead seemed to be too loud relatively to the rest of the instrumentation, but not big deal. There's something about the backing string stabs and synths that seemed I guess off-key with the lead instrumentation, and made the writing feel unfocused and scattershot. I mean, right from :10 and later at 1:01 and other times, there's a metallic "pang" sound that sounded off-key. A musician J who knows theory could explain what I'm sensing more clearly.

The ending was also a let down; probably not enough to mean a NO vote on the panel, but it was pretty sudden and underwhelming; see what you can do for something with a bit more substance, especially with this only being 2:39-long.

Solid base here, Damon. Just need to smooth out some of the clashing writing and make sure the ending's fully developed. Otherwise, this is solid per your usual quality. :-)

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that you'd like some more feedback, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and I'll review it again! Good luck!