Final Fantasy VII is being remade for PS4

DarkeSword

Looks like my instinct that they weren't just doing a graphical update was spot on.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/08/aonuma-majoras-mask-3ds-wont-be-just-another-remake/

It's almost like developers will hype up their products, then it turns out they add 25 lines of backstory or one new SuperBoss. For the record, Yes Majora's Mask was just another Remake. 

I think gamers are too entitled with their opinions about how Square-Enix should do FF7....... ultimately I hope Square ignores ALL of them and does what they feel is right with THEIR project. 

But it would be great if they rebuilt the bridge with Uematsu, if he did FF7 remake, and they had good relations to bring him back on future FF games, that would just be swell. 

I think gamers are too entitled with their opinions about how Square-Enix should do FF7....... ultimately I hope Square ignores ALL of them and does what they feel is right with THEIR project. 

But it would be great if they rebuilt the bridge with Uematsu, if he did FF7 remake, and they had good relations to bring him back on future FF games, that would just be swell. 

Is this because I asked for a game disc that was also edible? GOD! It's not that hard they're just lazy...WORST. COMPANY. EVER.

Yeah the bosses weaknesses were changed so perhaps you are correct in that respect, but everything else seemed superfluous or even detrimental...not sure what was up with the Fierce Deity fishing pond...seemed like more of an oversight.

Maybe they'll final get it right in FF7...attack with lightning when the tail is down? Up? I really don't remember, but thats about the only substantive change, for the better, FF7 needs. FF7 you're still beutiful and I still love you to this day, your jagged polygons are visual candy. If I wasn't so scared of having my eye poked out, I would hug Cloud Strife

but thats about the only substantive change, for the better, FF7 needs

How about complete asset re-imagining? FF7's assets don't directly translate to more polys and higher res like Zelda does. They need to basically redesign the game (to the extent of as if they were designing a completely new one)

Combat overhaul?

Dialogue re-writing?

The list goes on for reasons why FF7 has not aged well. It just takes a bit of a critical eye to see that. In all most every aspect of game design (story, dialogue, 3D assets, 2D assets, game flow, combat system, music production), FF7 has a lot of room for improvement.

How about complete asset re-imagining? FF7's assets don't directly translate to more polys and higher res like Zelda does. They need to basically redesign the game (to the extent of as if they were designing a completely new one)

Combat overhaul?

Dialogue re-writing?

The list goes on for reasons why FF7 has not aged well. It just takes a bit of a critical eye to see that. In all most every aspect of game design (story, dialogue, 3D assets, 2D assets, game flow, combat system, music production), FF7 has a lot of room for improvement.

It's good to see there is more than just a HD release going on here so that is a very good sign, but to dig a little deeper is this a question of "aged well"? Castlevania SotN has aged well, were as Castlevania 64 has not? I still maintain that there are plenty of games that deserve a reenvisioning, I can think of Vagrant Story or Skies of Arcadia ( and many from Dreamcast library) because they were very good, but were held back by an X-factor, low sales or hardware limitations, think of it like Q. Tarantino. He doesn't remake films, but he takes films or ideas from films that had limiting factors i.e. grind house films or foreign films and creates new art with them. I can't for see him remaking Shaft or some other box office hit. FF7 had its time and it proved itself as one of the greatest games ever, a remake seems like dwelling on past accomplishments rather than trying to forge new ones...I'm mostly just nervous it's going to be FF13, with the 13 scratched out and a 7 in its place. New experience, but still old. Not trying to dissuade anyone from being happy, but just a thought. 

It's good to see there is more than just a HD release going on here so that is a very good sign, but to dig a little deeper is this a question of "aged well"? Castlevania SotN has aged well, were as Castlevania 64 has not? I still maintain that there are plenty of games that deserve a reenvisioning, I can think of Vagrant Story or Skies of Arcadia ( and many from Dreamcast library) because they were very good, but were held back by an X-factor, low sales or hardware limitations, think of it like Q. Tarantino. He doesn't remake films, but he takes films or ideas from films that had limiting factors i.e. grind house films or foreign films and creates new art with them. I can't for see him remaking Shaft or some other box office hit. FF7 had its time and it proved itself as one of the greatest games ever, a remake seems like dwelling on past accomplishments rather than trying to forge new ones...I'm mostly just nervous it's going to be FF13, with the 13 scratched out and a 7 in its place. New experience, but still old. Not trying to dissuade anyone from being happy, but just a thought. 

It's not always about making new experiences. Final Fantasy VII deserves a remake exactly because it is such a good game. It is so good that repackaging it in a modern production value makes it so that so many more people can experience what Final Fantasy VII is. Young gamers. Older gamers who didn't play games like FF when they were younger. People who don't take craphics game seriously in general. They're taking FF7 and bringing it to so many people who didn't have the chance to play it (or the stomach for its aged quality).

The remake makes it *accessible*. It makes it so that FF7 a valid modern game you can recommend to someone alongside Mass Effect or The Last Guardian. This is why you remake games. Your statement that games should only be remade when they need to be fixed is, well, wrong, at least with what I value and what I think developers should value in the industry, which is bringing amazing experiences to everybody, not just the people who have the benefit of nostalgia. Final Fantasy VII is too amazing an experience to leave as a relic of the past.

to me, when I hear final fantasy, the only type of battle mechanic I want to see is menu type battles (ff1-10) When I played ff13, free roaming battles and not being able to fully control my other partners just felt wrong to me... that or kingdom hearts just helped set my standards for free roaming battles too high.lol.

It's not always about making new experiences. Final Fantasy VII deserves a remake exactly because it is such a good game. It is so goodthat repackaging it in a modern production value makes it so that so many more people can experience what Final Fantasy VII is. Young gamers. Older gamers who didn't play games like FF when they were younger. People who don't take craphics game seriously in general. They're taking FF7 and bringing it to so many people who didn't have the chance to play it (or the stomach for its aged quality).

The remake makes it *accessible*. It makes it so that FF7 a valid modern game you can recommend to someone alongside Mass Effect or The Last Guardian. This is why you remake games. Your statement that games should only be remade when they need to be fixed is, well, wrong, at least with what I value and what I think developers should value in the industry, which is bringing amazing experiences to everybody, not just the people who have the benefit of nostalgia. Final Fantasy VII is too amazing an experience to leave as a relic of the past.

It's good to see there are no plans scrub the PS1 version of FF7 from the history books  :-)

Your statement that games should only be remade when they need to be fixed is, well, wrong, at least with what I value.

For the record I don't want to make it seems like I'm espousing a video game remake dogma with categories when something should or shouldn't be be remade, I probably will love to watch FF7 being played, thought I can't say it's going to be the deciding factor for me in a console purchase. I'm going mostly off of film as it's probably the closest analog, and though film and video games are 2 different mediums, but they are both art and I see this as very much akin to a remake of Psycho or Rear Window.  Psycho/Rear Window were very old and had some pretty cheesy effects and maybe a remake/reenvisioning would expose new people to the film? Maybe put in some glitzy special effects? 

to me, when I hear final fantasy, the only type of battle mechanic I want to see is menu type battles (ff1-10) When I played ff13, free roaming battles and not being able to fully control my other partners just felt wrong to me... that or kingdom hearts just helped set my standards for free roaming battles too high.lol.

This is arbitrary. The idea that FF can only be static turn-based menu combat is arbitrary. They left turn-based combat long before Final Fantasy XIII. In Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, we had free action combat like Tales RPG's. FF Tactics was also a different battle system. You can do non turn-based RPG's wrong, yes, but I don't think that makes a good case for why the Final Fantasy franchise only works best in turn-based menu battling.

Some people, like me, don't like turn-based menu combat and think it's a chore. The idea that my controller is a glorified TV remote instead of being a direct relationship between me and the game character just feels wrong to me (though let's be realistic, I still get enjoyment out of it).

This is arbitrary. The idea that FF can only be static turn-based menu combat is arbitrary. They left turn-based combat long before Final Fantasy XIII. In Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, we had free action combat like Tales RPG's. FF Tactics was also a different battle system.

Yeah, but those were spin-offs.  I think people expect more consistency out of the main numbered series.  Add a "Tactics" or a "Crystal Chronicles" or whatever and people don't expect it to the the same sort of game.  Heck, it could be something instead of a game entirely (i.e. a movie).  But the "core experience" should mean something.

I think the Final Fantasy series has always been about evolving and trying new stuff out. They've very rarely stayed the same from game to game and almost always have tried very new things with each release. 

FF2 totally changed the character advancement system to be based on combat actions.

FF3 introduced a basic job system.

FF4 had ATB combat for the first time and a rotating cast of unique characters.

FF5 used a greatly expanded job system.

FF6 did tons of new stuff, from tactical multi-party battles to the ability to switch people in and out of your party, the esper system...

FF7 was a drastic departure in tone and style, not to mention visuals, plus the materia system, limit breaks etc

FF8 took a whole new approach to advancement again, plus a totally new magic system and pushed even more into sci-fi territory.

FF9 was probably the 'safest' in that it re-used a lot of concepts from earlier games - I'll give you that one.

FF10 used a new combat system - turn-based, but with free switching within combat and character agility mattering way more, plus again totally new character advancement.
FF11 was an MMO, nuff said.

etc.

While technically FF2 and 10 are both "turn based" they're extraordinarily different games in terms of how combat, progression, equipment.. EVERYTHING.. works. 

SE trying new stuff with FF12, 13 (and 13-2, 13-3) is to be expected!

Yeah, but those were spin-offs.  I think people expect more consistency out of the main numbered series.  Add a "Tactics" or a "Crystal Chronicles" or whatever and people don't expect it to the the same sort of game.  Heck, it could be something instead of a game entirely (i.e. a movie).  But the "core experience" should mean something.

I'd argue Crisis Core is of the better Final Fantasy games.

Really, my argument boils down to allowing developers whatever creative freedom they want. If there's no compelling reason to connect the nature of Final Fantasy's narrative with the turn-based combat system (what the game mechanic says about the story, or how it further drives the story), then I say it's just fueled by nostalgic concerns and what people who played previous games want and expect. Which is certainly a valuable consideration in game development, but should not ever be limiting.

As much as we rag on them for repackaging older games and giving us same-y content, why do we then lash out when they take risks that can be viewed standalone as still good games (see: FFXIII reviews) but just hated because they're different? To me, that's a case of franchise entitlement by consumers. Which is dumb. Games are an artform. Developers are the artists. Not to mention if they had been making turn-based combat every game, no doubt we'd start saying they're just being formulaic.

The idea that my controller is a glorified TV remote instead of being a direct relationship between me and the game character just feels wrong to me (though let's be realistic, I still get enjoyment out of it).

See now for all my bluster about FF7 being the perfect game. I agree that the first time I played FF12, I thought it was the best battle system yet. Simply the feeling that you can dodge or escape an attack was refreshing. I think deep down most of the turn based systems used require an unreasonable amount of suspended disbelief" Ok, I just stabbed you with my sword...now you try and stab me" but that's where the Role-Playing aspect comes in.

I agree with Neblix here on all points

also

I'd argue Crisis Core is of the better Final Fantasy games.

I've argued fervently in the past that Crisis Core is hands down the best Final Fantasy game - or at least better than VII itself

It's good to see there are no plans scrub the PS1 version of FF7 from the history books  :-)

For the record I don't want to make it seems like I'm espousing a video game remake dogma with categories when something should or shouldn't be be remade, I probably will love to watch FF7 being played, thought I can't say it's going to be the deciding factor for me in a console purchase. I'm going mostly off of film as it's probably the closest analog, and though film and video games are 2 different mediums, but they are both art and I see this as very much akin to a remake of Psycho or Rear Window.  Psycho/Rear Window were very old and had some pretty cheesy effects and maybe a remake/reenvisioning would expose new people to the film? Maybe put in some glitzy special effects? 

Bad comparison imo. You can't really compare films against games in this context because the primary goal of film is to tell a story where as a game's primary goal is to...well, be a game. Even in story heavy games, they still primarily operate as a game. The remakes of Psycho and Rear Window were unnecessary because those films were never about special effects or any of that. They're already classic horror/mystery films with great scripts and now classic performances by Anthony Perkins etc. Actually, most in the film world consider special effects superficial and remaking a film because of that in its entirety would be a waste of money. Like, Disney no doubt they still have the pre-cgi material from Curse of The Black Pearl. I'm sure if they really wanted to, they could modernize all the CGI in the film - but since the script, acting and characters are already great - there would be no point in remaking Pirates.

FFVII, being a game though...the tech has advanced so much since 97 that there are all kinds of neat gameplay mechanics that you can add, upgrading the soundtrack's production, give the character's voices etc. Might as well give it a graphics upgrade while you're at it. It's worth it and will probably be worth doing multiple times. Like, 20 years from now, they could remake Uncharted using all of the voice-overs and just upgrade the game mechanics and maybe add VR or something. That kinda thing is justified. 

TL;DR. Remaking a game is vastly different from remaking a film as the two mediums serve different purposes. 

I've argued fervently in the past that Crisis Core is hands down the best Final Fantasy game - or at least better than VII itself

I actually initially wrote "best" as well, but edited it out in order to not cause class wafare between different FF fans. It certainly is my favorite. The story's pretty heart wrenching.

Though I think the remake has the potential to knock it off the throne, simply because it's going to be the FFVII narrative but retold through modern game design and lots more production candy like voice acting (which probably means we can expect a lot of new dialogue that fill in the "role-play" stuff we did as kids). I'd argue Crisis Core's game framework is a better vehicle for telling the FFVII narrative, and I really hope they derive aspects of the remake from it.