Final Fantasy VII is being remade for PS4

DarkeSword

I actually initially wrote "best" as well, but edited it out in order to not cause class wafare between different FF fans. It certainly is my favorite. The story's pretty heart wrenching.

Though I think the remake has the potential to knock it off the throne, simply because it's going to be the FFVII narrative but retold through modern game design and lots more production candy like voice acting (which probably means we can expect a lot of new dialogue that fill in the "role-play" stuff we did as kids). I'd argue Crisis Core's game framework is a better vehicle for telling the FFVII narrative, and I really hope they derive aspects of the remake from it.

On that note, I've been wondering recently how the rest of the FF7 Compilation will fit into this. Are they just gonna make the remake with additional plot points derived from the other games? Are they going to remake the other games? Are we finally going to get Before Crisis in North America, somehow?

Personally, my dream for the remake is gameplay derived from Crisis Core, but with multiple playable characters, and an in-game remake of Advent Children as post-game DLC. Then a remake of Crisis Core.

On that note, I've been wondering recently how the rest of the FF7 Compilation will fit into this. Are they just gonna make the remake with additional plot points derived from the other games? Are they going to remake the other games? Are we finally going to get Before Crisis in North America, somehow?

Personally, my dream for the remake is gameplay derived from Crisis Core, but with multiple playable characters, and an in-game remake of Advent Children as post-game DLC. Then a remake of Crisis Core.

I really want Crisis Core gameplay as well. Turn-based battle and top-down navigation = blech.

I don't think there's a need for including Advent Children. It's not a game, people aren't asking for it, and the plot is sort of an unnecessary continuation of FF7, only existing to pad around big fight scenes.

A remake of Crisis Core is also unnecessary since it was recent enough (PSP).

I wonder, would everyone make the same clamor for the remake if it weren't for the PS3 tech demo? Would SE pursue the remake if it had been the case?

Not a lot of people were aware the Square had the rep to make tech demos so they could strut their stuff for each new console generation.

There was;

- FF: Agni's Philosophy for the PS4

- Aforementioned Final Fantasy VII for the PS3

- Final Fantasy VIII for the PS2

- Hell, before they split from Nintendo, they even had a Final Fantasy VI tech demo for N64!

Perhaps since internet viral marketing was climbing into adolescence, it just happened to arrive at the most opportune moment? I dunno...

Also, if anyone's wondering, Nomura is also showing interest in remaking both Final Fantasy V & VI.

I wonder, would everyone make the same clamor for the remake if it weren't for the PS3 tech demo? Would SE pursue the remake if it had been the case?

Not a lot of people were aware the Square had the rep to make tech demos so they could strut their stuff for each new console generation.

There was;

- FF: Agni's Philosophy for the PS4

- Aforementioned Final Fantasy VII for the PS3

- Final Fantasy VIII for the PS2

- Hell, before they split from Nintendo, they even had a Final Fantasy VI tech demo for N64!

Perhaps since internet viral marketing was climbing into adolescence, it just happened to arrive at the most opportune moment? I dunno...

Also, if anyone's wondering, Nomura is also showing interest in remaking both Final Fantasy V & VI.

I think it mostly comes down to this

FF7_zps0y1y0ahn.jpg

I think it mostly comes down to this

FF7_zps0y1y0ahn.jpg

That hypothetical button must be awfully close to their "TROLL FANS" button. :P

Interesting tidbit posted about two weeks ago (before the remake reveal):

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Final-Fantasy-7-PS4-Version-Isn-t-HD-Remake-We-Hoped-68802.html

Pete Haas:

Earlier this year, Kitase said that a Final Fantasy 7 HD remake would be a costly undertaking. He said that rebuilding the game with modern visuals would take more time than making Final Fantasy 13, which took the studio five years.

I.. don't know what Square Enix is doing. Apparently, neither does Kitase. :P

Kitase goes on about not wanting to do a verbatim remake of the game. Anyway. I'd appreciate a new way to play it. I assume most of those who played the original have grown in one way or another in ~20 years.

Kitase:

If I may speak as a game creator, if we were to produce a remake of VII, for example, I would be really tempted to delete things and add new elements, new systems or whatever because if we were to make exactly the same thing now, it'd be like a repeat.

I trust Square with this remake more now than I would have a few years ago. I believe they can do it and even if they change it up a lot, like the battle system and other things, it'll be good...  I hope it looks similar enough to Advent Children that we could play the game then watch the movie and it'll feel like a real sequel rather than being so much better looking than the original Ff7

• 3 weeks later...

Neat topic. Regarding the remaster, I think its in capable hands. Given X & X2 Remaster team are some of the dev members that worked on VII as well. In the past, the game was fitting for its time. The in-game engine was another story. I didn't mind it back then. Compared to now, its very limited. I am curious if they might add quick select, or snap attack options we've been so used to in recent FF titles. And the "Crisis Core" chapter, yeah I would love to see it also added. (I never got to play CC, but I was able to obtain the Collector's Edition of FFVIIAC "Last Order".) Given the additional abilities we'll get to use, I wonder if they might add more hidden options too.

• 3 months later...

http://nichegamer.com/2015/11/nobuo-uematsu-is-not-working-on-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake/

On the 1 hand, they can easily take the source music and orchestrate it with live orchestras, etc -- we've seen Distant Worlds

On the OTHER hand, and what I think would be a lot more interesting, is a whole new score -- the more the merrier? Two brilliant soundtracks for Final Fantasy VII? Will it live up to the demand?

http://nichegamer.com/2015/11/nobuo-uematsu-is-not-working-on-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake/

On the 1 hand, they can easily take the source music and orchestrate it with live orchestras, etc -- we've seen Distant Worlds

On the OTHER hand, and what I think would be a lot more interesting, is a whole new score -- the more the merrier? Two brilliant soundtracks for Final Fantasy VII? Will it live up to the demand?

I'd be against a whole new score but it wouldn't surprise me if the new OST went the direction that FF7:CC did.  Something new but somewhat influenced by the original. Besides, and this may sound sacrilegious, after hearing this I'm starting to think Uematsu is losing his touch.  (though a significant part of the hatred I have for this theme probably comes from that poorly sequenced piano)

There may be some opportunity here to get some OCReMixes in this game....  jes sayin'!!  

• 4 weeks later...

I'm watching playstation experience live and they are showing it off right now!  Sadly, the game doesn't look like its going to be up to the production standards of games like FF15 and Witcher 3.  Rather, something more modest.  What do you think?  I can't wait to see what the open world looks like.  Will it take 10 seconds to walk from midgar to Kalm or is it going to be much bigger?  And is it going to be possible to outrun the midgar zolem like you can do already?

Hrmm I probably put it a little strong. I think Cloud's skin should definitely have the type of look it does (and I especially dig the facial details) due to the Mako.. CID should definitely have the smoker look to him more than Cloud who had a different type of toxin, but I doubt they will go as far as what you'd expect in real life for someone of that age. 

I think what they made clear with the other characters (who appear much more clean) is that living under the plate for so long didn't have too much negative affect on them.

Maybe they sell special lotion.

Maybe it's weird that I judged all the characters based on their skin quality.