Final Fantasy VII is being remade for PS4

DarkeSword

EGM: At the very end of FFVII, we see the epilogue to the whole story that takes place 500 years later, so really, you still have another 497 years' worth of games and movies to fill in.... 

YK: Ha, maybe I'll try to do that. In a way, I consider that epilogue to be the true happy ending of FFVII. Well, it's a happy ending even though all the human beings are destroyed. [Laughs]

He's already referring to the epilogue as what he meant by when everyone's dead. He says that the true happy ending is when all humans are dead, and that's during the epilogue that's 500 years later. Note at the beginning he was saying he was going to fill in that 497 years with stories, which definitely means people survived the Meteor impact as originally envisioned. He's admitting the actual END is 500 years later, when everyone's dead, but not any time before. Also note his previous answer in the very same interview.

EGM: Since Dirge of Cerberus is, chronologically speaking, the furthest game in the FFVII timeline, does it have a happy ending? 

YK: AC and DC both have their own resolutions, so don't expect cliff-hangers there. Also, DC isn't the direct sequel to FFVII, Advent Children is. So we can't view DC as the ending to the whole big FFVII saga. Plus, FFVII definitely has so many diverse elements, and different fans have interest in different characters, so if, for example, one person is interested in Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith's relationship, then AC may provide some sort of answers for them. Somebody else might be interested in Vincent, so they might want to explore DC. It's not like this is going to complete the whole story, but it will satisfy fans who have strong attachments to individual characters.

Advent Children is the direct sequel to it. People are alive in it. Therefore, people survived the immediate impact. And remember, Advent Children opens with the very same epilogue the original game ends with, and then it says 497 years earlier.

I really need to watch Advent Children again. They took it off Netflix though. :/

I wonder what happens between the end of FF7 and 500 years later that leads to everyone being dead.. Obviously the FF7 party is dead from old age. But that doesn't explain why humanity dies out. It'd honestly be interesting to see another whole game based in the FF7 universe but featuring all new people, say, 200 years later. But honestly they could keep making stories in 50 year increments, and even have cameos, like you see Cloud in a wheelchair (again).. he'd be all like.. "I used to be a strong young lad... yup, even saved the planet once.. but you don't care about that do you, what with your MakoPhone and your danged... w-w... why are you even bothering me, get off my lawn!"

What's funny is while I was playing through again and saw the ending I thought back to the scene in the Planetarium with Bogenhagen where they're showing the dude die, and up pops a tree on the other side of the world. The ending made me think of that. The lifestream was going to help stop meteor at the end, but where was it getting that power? ;) ALL THE PEOPLE