Final Fantasy VII is being remade for PS4

DarkeSword

They're redoing the soundtrack too, right?  Because they've totally got to redo the soundtrack if they're remaking it.

And they're totally bringing Uematsu in for that, right?  Because goddamnit Squenix don't toy with me on this.

They probably are, but unfortunately I don't think Uematsu is gonna be the one to do the remakes. Look at the Final Fantasy X/X-2 remake. They completely ruined the original FFX OST that Uematsu composed with absolute garbage.

If they leave the OST as is or make Uematsu in charge I think the remake will be worth.

broken boring Final Fantasy game!

Up your butt with an iron chestnut! This game is neither boring nor broken! Your opinion is the reason there are child soldiers in Africa!

You, me, outside, now. Time for some bareknuckle boxing in the streets of St. Louis - where the men smell like rotten shinola and the women look like walking globs of cottage cheese! By the time I'm done with you, you'll be cashing your paychecks from Barnum and Bailey's Secret Sideshow as The Great Quivering Pile of Something! Prepare thyself! >:S

They're redoing the soundtrack too, right?  Because they've totally got to redo the soundtrack if they're remaking it.

And they're totally bringing Uematsu in for that, right?  Because goddamnit Squenix don't toy with me on this.

This may be personal opinion but given that Sakuraba was unable to successfully remake his own music from previous Star Ocean games for Star Ocean 4 I don't think Uematsu will be able to pull it off any differently for the remake of FF7. At least not in any way that would be accepted by fans of the original. 

To elaborate: 

Given that OCR has already "dealt" with SE in the past.  There may be some opportunity to get some ReMixes out for this game.  Just a thought.   :)

Noooo... they should get Nobuo Uematsu, or some other composer. No hate on OCR but it's not at that level

Speak for yourself :) Also you're part of "it", eh?

Composers aren't always the best folks to remix/arrange their own stuff, and I actually think there are many artists here who'd do a great job. That being said, if they hire Uematsu, I certainly wouldn't complain or have any doubts that he would knock it out of the park.

This may be personal opinion but given that Sakuraba was unable to successfully remake his own music from previous Star Ocean games for Star Ocean 4 I don't think Uematsu will be able to pull it off any differently for the remake of FF7. At least not in any way that would be accepted by fans of the original. 

Given that OCR has already "dealt" with SE in the past.  There may be some opportunity to get some ReMixes out for this game.  Just a thought.   :)

Yeah probably not gonna happen. :P

This may be my personal opinion but I don't think any links you posted are examples of a composer failing to remake his own music, so ???

Squeenix + Uematsu have proved more than competent in arranging FF music (FF7 in particular) with their constant efforts in the FF piano collections, the Black Mages, Earthbound Papas, and the Distant Worlds concerts.

It would be a breeze for them to redo the FF7 music, especially with live instruments given their experience and resources. Rarely on OCR do you see someone who just records a full orchestra for their stuff with ease.

There's good intentions behind sourcing it to the fans, but I don't think there's anyone better suited to it than professionals. We *do* have many professionals here, so yes, it's possible that OCR could pull it off with really tight quality control, but why do you think Squeenix would bother when they have their proven talent with decades of experience and better resources?

That being said, writing for the FF7 remake would be a dream come true for everyone, so dreaming is okay. ;P

There's also the issue of implementation. Video game composing isn't just about writing tracks and sending them to the game developers, so I'm sure the devs would appreciate having a music team to communicate with instead of an internet forum community.

If there's any broken boring Final Fantasy game they should fix, it's Final Fantasy 6.

You and I are now mortal enemies. Our clans are now in a permanent state of feud. My Iga ninjas will battle your Koga ninjas until the end of time! YOUR BLASPHEMY HAS INITIATED BASILISK.

I won't rest until all you Final Fantasy haters burn in a golden hell! Ninja Scroll reference!

A singular composer would be ideal for the sake of cohesion and quality between the entire soundtrack. LIKE I SAID NO HATE. We can agree to disagree :-)

I could see myself doing Interrupted by Fireworks, but only because I think I have the ability to perform it in a way that is true to the original, which is what would be the most important thing, and how the FFX remastered soundtrack kinda dropped the ball a little (apart from the awful mastering)

Just as an aside the differences between each artist and their variety is one of the things I like most about OCR, the community's ability to not make a bunch of songs that sound the same is a good thing

They already have official orchestral scorings of several of the tracks, done by Uematsu, so they might well take those and hire someone (one person) to do the rest of the soundtrack in the same style.  There's an infinitesimal chance they'll hit up the fan community--this ain't Capcom.  With Uematsu gone, it doesn't seem like they place any significant value on music at all, so we'll probably be lucky to get anything vaguely tolerable.

If there's any broken boring Final Fantasy game they should fix, it's Final Fantasy 6.

Seriously this is a poignant observation. You remake games that had something flawed about them that can be corrected, FF7 has really nothing that can substantially added that would change the game for the better. It's like when they release BluRay updates to Citizen Kane...ok that's nice, but if I had any compliants about Citizen Kane it wasnt that it was in B&W or that it wasn't in HD

I'm not sure that FF6 had anything that could be "substantially added" either, but Square's remakes don't generally do that.  They add mostly small things, like some postgame content.  FF7 could certainly benefit from some small tweaks (like better in-game instructions for getting Vincent and a more comprehensible ending) that would make a noticeable difference.  Most of FF6's bugaboos are less critical but harder to remove (grinding, random drops, the Coliseum), although there are some combat bugs they could fix.

FF7 has three major things that drastically need improvement. One is the graphics. The models just look awful by any standards. Even by PS1 standards, they really don't look good (just compare to FF8 or FF9). So for that reason alone, a remake would be awesome. Another issue is the translation, which was not entirely faithful to the original Japanese.. to the point where fans have been working for years to completely re-translate it. Lastly, the music (while a personal favorite of mine!) has poor production.. again even relative to other PS1 games. 

In comparison, FF6's sprite graphics look beautiful even by today's standards, particularly the enemies, bosses, and summons. The music, despite the SNES limitations, still sounds really nice. Again relative to other SNES games it's a standout. And then the translation is considered to be quite good overall. 

On the gameplay side... there's definitely stuff to be fixed in both games, so it's a tossup there (IMO). Especially after playing a game like Bravely Default with such a fantastic battle system.

everyone look how cool this guy is for hating on the thing everyone likes

You think people who do that are cool? Shitty role models, man.

... ... ...

Jabbing aside, it was sarcasm.

[FF6] And then the translation is considered to be quite good overall. 

Even though the storytelling is carried almost entirely through cheesy one-liners. FF6's dialogue, if they remade the game, would need a complete re-write (so that conversations carry the way real people would talk to each other). FF7 suffers a little less from this issue, since the dialogue consists of more than just exposition interspersed with "I want to help you." "Why?" "I don't know... ... ..."

Seriously this is a poignant observation. You remake games that had something flawed about them that can be corrected, FF7 has really nothing that can substantially added that would change the game for the better.

final-fantasy-7-cloud-model-up-close.png

I rest my case.

The best thing about the remake is that a lot of scenes could be replaced with cutscenes, there'd really no reason to make them playable. For example the "memory" in the hotel when you arrive at Kalm once leaving Midgar. Hell, it could even be truncated. And long scenes of nothing but dialogue, instead of just clicking through numerous blue boxes will be some silky smooooth voice over. When people remember FF7 with their nostalgia goggles they forget a large portion of the game is just people standing still and talking. It'll be interesting to see how much of the dialogue they voice and how much still comes up in text boxes, though.

It could be streamlined and more efficient! The story could ACTUALLY be so much more engaging! It could come out before 2020!

Oh no.  Guys, I just had a thought.  We're going to have to see cloud dress in drag.... in HD!  We're going to have to go through the honey bee inn!  We are going to have to have a minigame for CPR.  We are going to have a dolphin launch us 50 feet into the air to the upper city!  There are just so much parts of this game that can't be faithfully reproduced in modern day.  I wonder just how much of the game is going to change.

Oh no.  Guys, I just had a thought.  We're going to have to see cloud dress in drag.... in HD!  We're going to have to go through the honey bee inn!  We are going to have to have a minigame for CPR.  We are going to have a dolphin launch us 50 feet into the air to the upper city!  There are just so much parts of this game that can't be faithfully reproduced in modern day.  I wonder just how much of the game is going to change.

Why aren't those things reproducible?

We're going to have to see cloud dress in drag.... in HD!

Hm, I wonder if they'll actually create different models for the different items in the outfit you could get.  (Hopefully just not for the underpants.)

If they take the FFXIII-3 approach and create premium custom costumes for regular gameplay, this would be a simple addition.

Just waiting for the Cloud-in-drag vs. Sephiroth videos.