*Results* MnP 37: Xenon - Stage 1

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)
Round 37: Xenon - Stage 1

Thumb_Xenon_-_1988_-_Melbourne_House.jpg
Hi HoboKa!
From the game that inspired my name. I heard this song for so many hours of my childhood that I would love to see what people can do with it. Possibly my favourite of David Whittaker's huge repertoire!

-Xenonetix

Midi: http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP37_xenon_1.mid

Youtube: https://youtu.be/lCNMufnJCuk

Deadline: June 30 @ 2PM Tues
Vote Ends: July 2 @ 8pm Thurs

Submit your remix Here when completed. 
**If you have technical difficulty with account activation at ThaSauce, please contact me via PM and I will submit your track and will also tally your vote**

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines
1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
6. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)
- Certain sad or moody source tunes don't have drums or percussion for a reason. So keeping it that way may be the easiest way to retain much of the original feel, such as 

and 

Results

• evktalo got 1st with 9 points.
  • Paladin got 2nd with 6 points

evktalo, please pick the source tune for round 38.

Comments:
Fail host this round.   Been so low on energy these past few weeks what with my hand bein busted...but its a poor excuse.  I'm running out of those...still, thanks for your patience guys and putting up with me.

Yay! Uuhhhh, have to think about the source choice a bit. I've been mostly listening to newer indie stuff lately and I doubt there's that many MIDIs available.

Nice tune, Paladin! I dig the dubby sound choices. There's one simple/chippy synth doing the arpeggio which sticks out as a bit simple/dry, but overall the sound palette is cool. I especially like how you handled the "laggy twang" in the first few measures (or whatever). I think it was a good choice to not incorporate the key modulations (or whatever). Yeah.

Thanks, evktalo. Appreciate the comments, mate. I was happy with it... although listening back now, it could've done with more actual arrangement I feel. I guess the interpretation was pretty simple. That's what I liked about yours - very imaginative arranging, not to mention cool guitar playing. I'm impressed with how you did it all on the day of the deadline, more than anything. Sounds like you could've been working on it all week. Congratulations on your win! Looking forward to seeing what source you decide on.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated likewise! I did start the previous day (figuring out the source on guitar & bass, drum loop "sequencing" and guitar recording), and thought it was total crap, but happily after sleeping on it I was able to glue it together (slap  some more fx on the guitar, record bass + figure out the arp). Pretty good effort:outcome ratio for me still.. I'll see if I can polish it a bit (mixing, transitions and stuff and a bit more splicing of the drumloops) without having to spend a ton of more work.