*NO* Bomberman 64 'Bomberman Enigma'

Liontamer

My handle is nightvision (all lowercase), my email is nightvision04@hotmail.com

The song was origonally battle music from Bomberman 64 (First of two games). It was origonally a 1:12 long track, now completely remixed and extended.

Email me if you have any more questions, thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/usf/bombermanusf.zip - 17 "Boss Battle"

The original doesn't have much you can really play off of from an arrangement standpoint. Didn't sound like much here beyond offering beefier sounds and trying to give substance to a melody that was present in the original for maybe 10 seconds (:42-:52, I was right).

Pretty rough synths here on lead. Once things got fuller at :32, the lead kind of mushed into the other sounds, like there was some weird delay on it. Sound balance was pretty sloppy, the track didn't have much in the way of dynamics, and things weren't awful but at the same time weren't very musical.

Decent first effort, and the track had some notable intensity, but that was about it. Really needed to be reigned in and given more development and direction, though trying to arrange such a source tune, I'm not sure how much more you could have done with it without going into very liberal territory. Never say never in this community of course.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

The source seems like a difficult one to arrangement, but even that aside, there are several problems here that prevent this one from passing. For one thing, the production is not good. The bass (which is a good sample, don't get me wrong) is incredibly loud and overbearing, making it difficult to hear some of the other parts. Putting compression/limiting on the track was nice in order to prevent clipping, but it causes unmusical pumping as a result of stuff like the bass which is mixed way too loud to begin with. I recommending going easier on the compression AND toning down the loud parts, to make a more 'stable' soundfield. The synth guitars don't really bother me all that much, but it sounds like you have some sort of weird effect on them like flanging, phasing, or chorusing that makes them sound wore than normal. As the song progresses and more elements are added, the heavy compression and lack of careful mixing/EQing makes things sound quite muddy.

Looking at the structure of the track, there is not much of a central riff, motif, or melody for the listener to follow. That's not necessarily a bad thing if you can compensate for it by having a set of interesting sounds, rhythms, or progressions. However that is not really the case with this mix. There are a few cool ideas here and there but they are stretched out and repeated too much to hold up the song as a whole.

NO