MarioKart 7: Rainbow Road

Bowlerhat

Hey,

This is my pianocover of Rainbow Road, from MarioKart 7. I'm pretty happy with it, but if there is any feedback, then I'd be happy with that as well. If not, then I'll change the post to Mod Review and then I'll try to get it submissioned. It's like 100% source, so that shouldn't be a problem, but if anyone has anything to say about the arranging, audio quality, performance and/or other stuff then it would be great to share it.

https://soundcloud.com/jorik-bergman/route-de-art-en-ciel

Source:

Thanks!!

I like the arrangement, it is very nice.

The tone however is too hollow. There is too much reverb, it sounds too distant. Piano tone by itself should sound more like this

Did you record this through mic or use midi?

I hear some mistakes, which leads me to believe this is recorded. Recording a piano piece through microphone is really difficult, because you have to practice the piece for at least two weeks or even more depending on the length and difficulty. One small mistake and you have to redo everything. It's not like you can do various takes and take the best parts out of each take. And this is 5 minutes, which is fairly long.

There are some amazing piano VSTs and sample bacnk for free online (again I am assuming you recorded this with a microphone). Doing this with a great software piano instrument and fixing the mistakes through midi would sound a lot better.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks!!

I indeed recorded this through a microphone. 

Compared to the piano in the video, my sound is indeed a lot hollower, but I recorded my track on a normal piano, while the piano in the video is obviously a grand piano. Is it still possible to get the same sound? And if so, how? 

Thanks again for the feedback!

How is your recording setup? Are you doing it on a single microphone, or did you set one up close to the inside of the piano and one outside to catch the ambiance? If not, a two-microphone setup can help you capture both the meat of your performance as well as the ambiance, with which you can mix in such a way as to make it sound as balanced as you need it to be. Just make sure that the two microphones are recording onto two separate tracks.

Hope that helps!

If you really want to do it well, try reading this article.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan08/articles/pianorecording_0108.htm

Like Gario suggested, it would be optimal to have two mics. One to capture the ambience of the room, and one to capture the direct sound of the piano. For example, an omnidirectional mic helps you capture the ambience and width of the sound.

+1 on modifying your mic setup.  There are tons of article out there on techniques and methodologies.  Choose the one that best suits your capabilities (your room, your piano, your recording device/interface) and give it another go.  The performance was rather nice actually.  You play quite well.  I think the reverb just assaulted the details of what it could have been, so it is hard to judge things beyond that.  When it comes time to remix and you want to touch the reverb, look to Pensado for some tips (http://www.pensadosplace.tv/category/into-the-lair/).  Some of his vocal reverb advice is magical on piano.

Looking forward to the next take through a multi-mic setup!  Keep at it!

Wow, thanks to all of you!! 

Since I don't have a second microphone and I'm just a poor part-timing dishwasher who just got out of high school (and thus can't buy more microphones) I can't use a multic-mic setup. But I did just find out that my Zoom H2N has a 4ch suround sound mode that I've never used yet, and after reading through quite a few articles (thanks for that!!)  I think that placing my mic a little further from the piano should help. Until now I always used the XY mode, because I also use that when I record other solo instruments. But the 4ch mode should help to catch the ambiance of the room more. 

On another note, before I remove the topic from mod-review. Is there anything to improve with the arrangement itself? I personally think it's pretty acceptable, but  If I'm gonna rerecord the whole everything anyway then I might as well improve the rest too.    

I would add more variation in the left hand so that you aren't doing the three-hit pattern (with one note with your pinkie and then two chords with your middle finger and thumb) as often. I've been hearing that throughout pretty much the entire piece. Maybe switch to arpeggios every now and then (wherever it makes sense), or switch up the overall rhythm.

I do hear that you've added your own chord alterations, which is a plus, and 3:07 - 3:15 was a good example of varying your pacing.

I don't know if 3:00 - 3:01 was intentional, but it feels out of the key.

Okay, so I think I've improved the audioquality quite a bit. It isn't as clear and awesome as pianosound from that final fantasy track, but it's definitely a lot better. 

This recording does have a few mistakes, though. So I'm gonna spend some time on perfecting the arrangement and playing before submitting anything. But I do wanna throw in this recording to check if the audioquality is good enough now. 

https://soundcloud.com/jorik-bergman/route-de-art-enciel

Thanks for all the feedback!!