Chrono Trigger-Arris Dome Atmosphere Remix

YoshiBlade

Ok so awhile back I submitted this back for a RWS, but I got no feedback and was a little upset...put a lot of work into it. So I really was inspired by Mazedude's ability for atmosphere music and tried to emulate it, but now I just want to see if this is in a post-able direction.

**For a full experience read the accompanying story I wrote, if not NBD** Thanks for the Listen and Feedback!

Remix http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/RWS0303

Source 

This is strange, but I like it!

Since you mention getting this posted, I'd say there's too much source material outside of the end with the computer sounds and there's also robo's theme. Maybe have a minimal melody playing in the background for the end? Something like the low synth from 0:19. I'm not really sure.

I really like the sounds and style you're going for, aside from the ending.... not really sure what that's all about.... is it supposed to sound hopeful? It's rather awkward.

Despite my love for the rest of this arrangement, it could probably do with some more original elements if you pan to submit it. Maybe you could break the arrangement up into sections with some variations or original parts in between?

In general I think it succeeds in arranging the source recognizably, but what was the point of the random computer sounds at 3:02 towards the end? At that point you've basically given up on arranging anything. This needs more sophistication to the arrangement. You just have this ambient track that stops 3/4 of the way through to throw sound effects at people. There needs to be a more substantial way that your computer sounds contribute to the arrangement. Otherwise, it's just tacked on at the end for no reason.

The arrangement itself though, stays in one or two gears the whole time. It just doesn't do much. Maybe integrating another VGM can make it more interesting.

what was the point of the random computer sounds at 3:02 towards the end?

Thank for the Listen everyone! I realize that music and specifically remixing, is a distinct genre of art, but before anyone listens to the track you should read the attached story? I know that's not what will make this Remix good or not, but I was raised to believe this one truth..."Scratch and sniff stickers are the single greatest invention in the history of human endeavors" The reasoning behind is the blending of 2 separate ideas converging to become one new medium of art, that is mostly what I was aiming for....Remember those children's books with the sound effect buttons on the side? Yeah, kind of like that.

I did read it, but without it, it doesn't make as much sense. I think if it depends on the story too much, it's not so much an independent song as it is background music. Irrespective of the story being there, the computer sounds aren't accompanied by anything else, so they're bare. It's like taking a movie and turning it into a blank screen with the sound intact.

• 3 weeks later...

MOD REVIEW

Overall this was pretty awesome. To the claim that there isn't enough 'original' material, that's kind of a misnomer - the handling of the source is pretty creative, in its own right. Moody and atmospheric - much moreso than the source could ever provide. I think it will pass for the arrangement. Production was tight, as well.

That computer bit at the end only makes sense if you read the story. If you want to post this on OCR (which is your intent, since you requested a mod review) there would be no context for that. You'll need to cut that part out if you want to pass the panel. Cutting it off at 3:10 - 3:15 would work out alright - it does provide some interesting atmosphere that compliments the piece overall.

Short and pretty damn sweet, for the most part, I could see this passing if you cut the ending much shorter.

The ancient computer located inside the Protodome should still be operational

Cannot read this without thinking about OCR Protodome

Anyway, yeah, I agree with Gario about the ending if you want to sub this. P good on everything else, make sure that your glitchy fx stuff throughout the mix isn't too loud on the high ends. Some of em (like around 1:49) are pretty hot.