OCR03188 - *YES* Touhou Fuujinroku: Mountain of Faith 'Temple of the Omnisword' *RESUB'

Chimpazilla

Contact Information

>       ReMixer name: HeavenWraith
>       Real name: Antanas Palaitis
>       Website: http://www.heavenwraithmusic.net
>       Forum user ID: 50325

Submission Information

>       Game: Touhou Fuujinroku: Mountain Of Faith
>       ReMix Name: Temple of the Omnisword
>       Original Name: Native Faith
>       Original Author: ZUN

With huge help from Timaeus, the track received a thorough EQ surgery and sparkles more than ever.

Oh my goodness, I think I can hear everything clearly now, wow nice!  Yep, I see that timaeus was the right person to ask for help on this.  I'll admit that this track isn't really my cup of tea, I still find it too busy for my taste, but I gotta give credit here, the eq cleanup is significant and I think the mixing is actually working now!  With this many elements and the speed of the writing, that is no small feat.  Achievement unlocked!

YES

I was a fan of the arrangement from the start, and that remains a pass. The production isn't ideal, but IMO, the drumwork shouldn't be louder than the leads. I also thought the panning was WAY too wide during the rock sections, enough to where it was a meaningful problem; people on monitors may not mind, but on headphones it's disorienting, and I'm generally pretty permissive with wide panning.

Some of the sound here was dry in places, but serviceable; it's a much better thing to have than the other way around like the clutter all of the previous versions.

The quiet section from 2:21-2:52 still didn't make sense; I get the intent of the dynamic contrast, but the way that section is produced doesn't sound like someone's playing in the distance, it just sounds like the master volume was cut, which is just careless and doesn't make sense.

Hated the synth triggering at 3:03-3:13, which just sounded ridiculous, but it was brief.

The remaining issues I mentioned, particularly the panning, make this a NO (resubmit), but this is close now, and Chimpa's right on the strides that have been made this time around. IMO, this still needs further tweaks to be above the line, but it's in great shape regardless. Anthony, you NEVER give up, and it's working.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh my goodness, I think I can hear everything clearly now, wow nice!  Yep, I see that timaeus was the right person to ask for help on this.  I'll admit that this track isn't really my cup of tea, I still find it too busy for my taste, but I gotta give credit here, the eq cleanup is significant and I think the mixing is actually working now!  With this many elements and the speed of the writing, that is no small feat.  Achievement unlocked!

YES

What Kris said, in this case. TOUHOU MUSIC IS SO SPASTIC!! Goodness, so many notes... quiet section wasn't hitting me as 100% perfect but it also didn't jar me like it did for Larry, and the clarity of the overall mix does let you hear the guitar & many, many, many kick & snare & synth hits. There are special challenges in choosing to embrace the Touhou madness and do something that maintains the uber-brisk tempo and machine-gun sequencing, and I think they've been handled well enough. Energy is through the roof... musical caffeine! Some of the sections Larry identified COULD have used a bit more polish, but they breeze by so fast that it really didn't bother me much. This has been revised several times and this incarnation feels ready for prime time, to me; there's perhaps a tendency to see multiple revisions and be a little more sympathetic, but I don't think I'm doing that nor do I think it's necessary for this mix as it now stands.

YES

Here we go, #5...

Right off the bat, I'm liking the mixing job courtesy of Timaeus. Definitely at a good volume level and clarity; in fact, I think I hear details that I haven't noticed before. Some of the problems are still here, like strangely dry synths and a quiet section that loses a little too much energy, but most of this is as good as it can be. Your vision is finally getting sold - the craziness makes a little more sense, because it sounds more purposeful. I think I hear something coming.... could it be? ...... yes, I think it's a.........

YES!

Man I love this source.

Opens up pretty calmly, setting up a good sonic atmosphere.  Once the drums kick in, the energy picks up a ton.  Drums do sound a bit rough around the edges when exposed, but blend in better with more elements in play.  

I'm not 100% on board with some of the lead synths, with the somewhat disjointed sequencing and the wide panning/stereo effect that I think Larry is referring to.  I also agree that the quiet section lost too much energy/volume and doesn't sound cohesive with the rest of the track.

Otherwise, for the majority of the track and its various elements, this is clicking for me.  Guitars and drums bring a ton of energy to the table and are well sequenced/performed.  I think it's a close one, and I definitely understand Larry's position, but this track has reached a tipping point for me in the positive direction.

YES (borderline)