Where to start...

FastnBulbous

Hi all,

I'm very new to the world of game remixes and was wondering if anyone can advise on the best way to get started here.  I've got the gear and the skills but time is fairly limited so I want to try and make best use of it.

OCR intrigues me a lot and I hope to be able to contribute in various ways, just not sure of the best way to make a start.  I had a look at one or two competitions but deadlines seemed pretty tight.  Are there any competitions going that give a generous deadline so I don't exhaust myself with trying to balance the real work with my day job?

Anyways, loving what I've seen so far.  It's good to see the high level of appreciation going on for game music.

If you're new to remixing in general, I'd suggest the Meat and Potatoes compo(MnP). It's usually got a couple weeks on the deadline and is all about conservative mixing. Speaking from personal experience, it's a great place to start if you don't have a ton of time but still want to improve and get involved.

Current MnP: http://ocremix.org/community/topic/41243-mnp-37-xenon-stage-1/

Compo: http://compo.thasauce.net/compos/view/MnP

Thanks a lot!  I'll keep an eye open for the next MnP.  Yeah 2 weeks seems fine.  Maybe once I get into the swing of it the more advanced comps will be more doable.  I'm a relatively experienced producer, just haven't been active for a while and I'm getting the hang of new software and hardware at the same time.

I noticed the calender doesn't seem to have anything going at the moment.  Is there a break for summer or something?