FF7 - Jenova Absolute

Hipnotyk

https://soundcloud.com/matthew-s-harrison/jenova-absolute

Hey everyone.  I'm so happy I found enough time this weekend to get this into a state where I can share it.  I guess you could call this about 99% complete, because at some point I feel like I'll want to add another percussion instrument.  This is how I imagined Jenova Absolute back in 1997 as a middle schooler figuring out each individual line on my clarinet.

Although I had played plenty of RPG's and enjoyed hundreds of tracks, FF7 coincided with my growth as a musician and the music in this game literally changed my life.  I have served 5 years in the U.S. Army as a musician and I'm still baffled I get to do this for a living.  Although I'm a very experienced live sound engineer, I've decided to broaden my horizons and start arranging, mastering and remixing the songs that kept me enthralled in making music as a kid and ultimately leading to where I am today.

Any input is appreciated and I hope you all enjoy.  If you have a few extra minutes to listen to the other tracks on my SoundCloud, that's great and I thank you but I'm primarily looking for comments on Jenova as my first two tracks were pretty much for learning the ropes.  Jenova uses my new Kontakt/Damage instruments and I haven't had time to go back and re-remaster my first two projects just yet.  

lovin your tunes. checked out the rest of your soundcloud and was amazed. I too redid some FF7 with orchestra gold. I did this like 6 years ago when I was just learning how to mix, master, program dynamics, etc.) and found them in an old back up hard drive and decided to upload them again. You can check out the thread here http://ocremix.org/community/topic/41346-ff7-complete-soundtrack-coveredremastered/#entry789671

I learned alot since then but its been a while since I composed anything new but there is alot of things I would change if I were to do it again. (dynamics, less reverb, better mixing.) but It turned out good for the time.

Hey, appreciate the comments.  The orchestral samples used in Jenova Absolute are all from the Kontakt library, while most of the percussion comes from Damage (a large percussion library you can get with Kontakt if you purchase Komplete).  The Angelic Choir came with the Ableton Live 9 Suite.

In the previous two tracks, those were all Ableton instruments that I made before Komplete arrived.  I need to go back and update the Cosmo Canyon track as I threw that up on a whim, and had yet to really dial in the articulation, note lengths and dynamics.

I'll be balancing active duty with being a full time student for the next four months, but if my course work isn't too rigorous I'll find some time to polish up Cosmo or fix up a few more tracks.  I've wanted to re-create stuff from all of my childhood favorites, which would be virtually any RPG from the SNES/PS1 era.