I'm gonna replay FF7 - how should i do it?

prophetik music

i haven't played ff7 since i used my old psone to play it through after buying the game off the shelf at walmart. i'm interested in playing through it again in anticipation of the re-release of the game. i figure it won't be out till next holiday season (if it'd been this Christmas, they'd have said it!), so i've got time to play it and then get away long enough to replay the remake.

so how should i play it?

i know there's a ton of mods out there - has anyone played through some of them? if i do it vanilla it'll likely be on my PSP, but if there's better translations or improved graphics, i wouldn't complain about that. i don't mind emulation so if there's an option that includes save-states and omnipresent pausing (which helps a lot with babies around!), that'd be awesome.

i have an old ps1 and a greatest hits version of the discs that work fine, and my psp and pc.

I've gone the emulation route by playing the PS 1 discs on my PC...not a great idea. Certain parts slow down and speed up.

Which emulator? I haven't tried emulation since Bleem was the only way to go, but it's getting increasingly important and useful to identify ones that actually work.

i have no concerns about performance as i was able to easily emulate FF12 with every graphics option i could think of cranked before i upgraded my system, so emulation is cool if someone's got a good suggestion for an emulator.

is there any additional content in the pc version?

has anyone else tried any of the mods on the internet yet?

edit: bleck, more interesting as in harder, or more interesting as in makes something different?

is there any additional content in the pc version?

The steam PC version has stupid achievements, and a dodgy cloud (lol) save server that has been down many times for me. It also had* terrible midi records of the music (*I think this is fixed now but it's easy to mod it to have the original PS1 sounds). There's no gameplay difference that I can recall.

The Qhimm modding forums has a group working on the Team Avalanche project, which is a graphical rehaul of the FF7 PC version. They're a little discouraged about the FF7 remake being announced, but I bet with some encouragement people will keep on the project. They're also looking for people to do music and a better translation, last I knew. You could see what is available to patch if you have the PC version and try playing. If anything they have a few upgraded character models.

I've heard Mednafen's emulation is more accurate than Sony's PS3 emulation anyhow.

If you were able to complete FFIX on Mednafen, then yes, it's more accurate. The PS3 (and PS2) crash on the change from disk 2 to disk 3, I learned to my great frustration. (I understand the PS3 does work with virtual disks, just not with physical ones.)

I'd personally be looking for something that supports physical disks. Ripping my entire collection of PS1 games is a task I'd rather avoid.

If I were you I would play it on the PSX or using an emulator. I tried playing old games on the PS3 and sometimes they were some problems on the graphics (I have the original CDs) I don't know why, It even happend on the PS2 games... maybe it was just my PS3

As someone who did this not too long ago, use an emulator. I don't have quite as many large chunks of spare time like I did when this game came out. I replayed it on ePSXe, which has a great fast-forward/frameskip functionality that I toggled to a controller button using joy2key. Honestly, the vast majority of battles in this game can be run through by just holding down the "ok" button. You'll take a bit more damage, but like most FF games, it costs very little to have a constant supply of 99 healing items.

Once you replay it (and I may be treading on some folks' hallowed ground here), I'd be interested to hear how you think the writing/story holds up. Having not played it since 97-98, I had forgotten most of the story and dialogue, and was actually kinda surprised at how amateurish and silly it seemed. I remember thinking something like "ah, so terrible YA fiction started in Japan, afterall..."

That MIDI music was actually excellent... if you installed the Yamaha XG softsynth that came with the original copy of that game.  Most people didn't and so it sounded absolutely horrible.  And then all later versions didn't even come with the softsynth, and then modern OSes don't let you install the softsynth anyways... yeah, it's pretty ridiculous.

edit: bleck, more interesting as in harder, or more interesting as in makes something different?

Not so much harder (FF7 is kind of super easy, not to brag) but definitely a bit more varied in how you have to use characters if you're not building them entirely to spam as many summons as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. So a different mission take on FFVII. I dig it. Actually there are so many different ways to play VII its kinda funny I rarely hear about this anymore. Here's a challenge. Try not to use any healing items once your team is together. (during the op is ok, since you can't heal yourself from the start) It makes for an neat test. ^^: