Mega Man X: The Sigma Fortress Remix Gauntlet 2015

DarkeSword

I just realized I messed up the filename badly.  It should be 

• Rock Hard Mandrills - Ghetto Lee Lewis feat. Jason Covenant & Willrock  - Caffeine Shoveling Hunter Turtloids - (Rainy Turtloid in X-Hunter Stage 1).wav

I messed up mine too so don't worry. Wrist slaps for the two of us

No, I really mean expect some shitty music because I'm drawing a blank with this song.

It's ok though, it's expected to get rounds like these in any compo so I'll be looking forwards to my last round instead.

I commiserate with you good Sir_Nuts. This is maddening I've been pressing the key for the better part of 2 hours, but each time it feel like the only sound is a buzzer saying "WRONG!"......Is inspiration something that works of it's own accord or can you get it to bend to your will? I feel like I've been marooned by my creative faculties and now I gotta figure a clever way to build a boat, then get some wind in my sails. 

Music will go up later tonight folks. Sorry, got caught up with some other things last night.

Also, remember guys, if you're having trouble coming up with an idea for your remix this week, you have team members you can bounce ideas off of. Get on Skype or something and start brainstorming. There's nothing wrong with having your team members come up with the seed of your arrangement, so long as you're the one expanding it out into a full piece.

I commiserate with you good Sir_Nuts. This is maddening I've been pressing the key for the better part of 2 hours, but each time it feel like the only sound is a buzzer saying "WRONG!"......Is inspiration something that works of it's own accord or can you get it to bend to your will? I feel like I've been marooned by my creative faculties and now I gotta figure a clever way to build a boat, then get some wind in my sails. 

Well, for these compos I usually think ahead of some directions I could go with the song I picked.  I had a couple of directions planned for this round.  Sometimes, when I hear the second source, I have an "a-ha!" moment and a new, better direction comes up in my mind.  Some other times though, all the plans you had are incompatible with the song for the week, and you can't think of anything good to do with it, so for those times I just accept it will suck and roll with it.

As for inspiration, it comes and goes for me.  I get periods where I can do several songs in a row and then I go for a month without doing anything new.  Listening to new music brings new ideas most of the time, regardless of the genre.  Sometimes I listen to a new latin jazz song and get inspiration to do a glitch hop track ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.  Go figure, inspiration is just weird.

Of course, you can just be talented and put out great music without even being inspired, alas, I just hack stuff together so I gotta take advantage of inspiration when it strikes.

Listening to new music brings new ideas most of the time, regardless of the genre.  Sometimes I listen to a new latin jazz song and get inspiration to do a glitch hop track ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.  Go figure, inspiration is just weird.

lol, unfortunately for me I don't really have a sense of direction on which genres I like more or Inspire me more... So I just hop into a OCR radio and let the randomness magic do the work for me.Really helps me out from time to time.

Well, for these compos I usually think ahead of some directions I could go with the song I picked.  I had a couple of directions planned for this round.  Sometimes, when I hear the second source, I have an "a-ha!" moment and a new, better direction comes up in my mind.  Some other times though, all the plans you had are incompatible with the song for the week, and you can't think of anything good to do with it, so for those times I just accept it will suck and roll with it.

Well, in your situation I would just take the uninspiring theme, and isolate a single melody from it, and try to put that to use, maybe use some different chords on it that make it inspire you more, or changing the rhythmic feel around a bit until you like it, most often that helps.

Listening to new music brings new ideas most of the time, regardless of the genre.  Sometimes I listen to a new latin jazz song and get inspiration to do a glitch hop track ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.  Go figure, inspiration is just weird.

I tend to get inspired by the soundscape of music that really resonates with me. For my round 2 entry, I basically imitated the vibe I heard here (unless you already saw me post it lol):

https://soundcloud.com/biggiantcircles/borderlands-2-tropical-paradise-exploration

My thought process was that I listened for what I recognized and considered how I could do it. I recognized that it had granular pads (-> I used glassy pads), congas/bongos (-> I used djembes and other world percussion), wooden percussion (-> I used Damage and various auxiliary percussion like shakers, claves, and rainsticks), a steel-drum-esque arp (-> I used various bells I synthesized in my free time that sound like they belong in a tropical rainforest), etc.

I usually just put the melodies over some seventh chords and call it a day.

But actually my approach is similar to Sir_Nuts, I usually get a couple of different ideas for my theme in my head then hope that the other theme for my round can be used in a reasonably comfortable way.

Don't be afraid to alter rhythms and fragments of the melodies to some degree. While going too liberal might not be good (as I sometimes tend to do on occasion) things don't always need to stay extremely close to the original. It can be a little easier to make a compelling and fresh take on the themes when you impose less limits on yourself. Maybe lots of people have already thought about this but I'm just throwing out some thoughts in case it helps. I'm a little sleepy so I hope I'm making sense :<

Just in time for Round 3 I'll post my thoughts on Round 2 entries!

Arsonist - I don't particularly like this track tbh, sorry ;_; Production-wise it's fine, the percussion is fun and the instruments are clear. I like the rhytm in the intro and the first sections with Mammoth's theme are cool. The guitar sample is crappy though. The rhytm change near 1:30 is cool but after it the song gets a bit stale. Source usage isn't particularly strong in the arrangement since it's basically Mammoth with a bit of Doppler near the middle (and the bass is pretty unfitting here imo).

Tiger Millionaire - Intro is cool, very unique sounding. Production wise it could be better. The drums sound very crushed and the soundscape feels muddy, making it hard to understand what each instrument is doing (too much stuff going on in similar sections of the spectrum). Source usage is cool, especially with the variations on Neon Tiger's theme (a source that I find terrible haha). The second half starting with Doppler is pretty cool. Nice song, I feel production could be improved but it's neat.

Arma Gonna Topple That Dopple v0.1 - The v0.1 in the title says a lot about the song. It's very barebones in production and arrangement. Transitions aren't very strong and I'm pretty sure there are a few off-key notes in some melodies. This is pretty unfinished and it shows, sadly.

MMMDop - My favourite from the round! I like the chip sound, reminds me of Shovel Knight's soundtrack (intro makes me think of the water stage in that game). I don't have much to say about this since it's pretty good IMO. Arrangement is great with some very clever uses of both sources together and production is, for the most part, super-clean. Break near 1:30 is very cool and almost a trademark in Willrock's songs haha. Guitar playing is cool too. Change at 3:13 is very good and the arpeggios in the 3:39 solo are amazing. Very nice work!

I Don't Run At All - From the get-go production seems rushed. Guitar lacks power and the drums are very low. Vocals sound nice, even with the rickrolls haha. Ending with the clean guitars is really cool. Source usage is great and fun. I like this song, with a better production it'd be one of my faves of the round.

Is é mo aingeal imithe - Another of my favourites! Instruments used in this song are great. Source usage is cool and production is pretty clear. The only complaint I have with this song is that some instruments sound weirdly tuned, especially the piano and the choir-ish samples seem to have weird tuning. Also, there's a bass note in the first riff that is very dubious to me. In any case, that's a bit of nit-picking since this is cool.

Red Shifting Drift - Yet another one I liked a lot! This feels like typical Gario to me, energetic song with many chip and electronic elements. Production is cool and the arrangement is fun although I felt it dragged on a bit. I felt MMMDop was an overall stronger song so this one got my second place.

Thermoception - This one is interesting. The playing in the instruments is cool but also feels a bit loose as if you missed some timings or something. Arrangement is very cool with some very clever mixes of both sources. I'm not really sure what to say, it feels nice and the arrangement is good but it lacks some polish. It was definitely a contender on the strength of the source usage though.

Winter Weather Advisor - Very interesting armonies here. Brass instruments are very fake-ish but the writing is amazing. I also really like the piano and e. piano writing. Drums are uh... unique I guess? I can dig them in some parts but I really dislike them in others haha. This song grew on me with a couple listens but I'd still change the drums to be easier to listen! In any case, it's pretty good and interesting.

Just Give me a Minute - It's clear this was rushed. It has the potential to become something good but right now it's a bit messy. Production is muddy and the song is super short so uh, that's that. Last section (like final 10 seconds) is very good!

Dark Times, Happy World - Not a very big fan of this one. While production is clear, I feel the arrangement lacks excitement or something to carry it. Right now it's just, to me, a few melodies that go after the other without much structure behind them. Sources were easy to identify but weren't used in interesting ways IMO.

Beetle Dopplerganger - My song! I rushed the mixing and some of the writing but I feel it turned out decent haha. I may fix it in the future.

Tropical Relaxation Method - Very nice song. Mood is unique and source usage is interesting if a bit too liberal (reason why I didn't vote for it). The part with Peacock usage was very good and I'd have liked to hear more of that (especially of the progression in 1:26). In any case, super creative arrangement and nice production!

Like before, sorry if I sound harsh or nit-picky!