Mega Man X: The Sigma Fortress Remix Gauntlet 2015

DarkeSword

Warning:  The following reviews are influenced by the consumption of alcohol and in no way reflect the views and opinion of team Rock Hard Mandrills

KingTiger

I can definitely hear where Jordan helped out with this.  The mix is very full, and the arrangement keeps progressing and evolving and staying interesting.  It's for the most part very groovy and a fun song to listen to.  Some of the sound choices I didn't care for much though, and there wasn't really a part of the song that stood out for me.

Darren Smith

I'm not quite sure what to say about this one.  The sound choices were really weird, some of the drums seemed kind of pretty off, and the arrangement just kind of seemed to be going everywhere.  I guess it had kind of a creepy/mysterious kind of vibe to it.  Definitely a creative track though.

Jorito

I feel like you really liked bLiNd's track from week one and decided to go in a similar direction (Dubstep evolving into DnB just a coincidence???)  I really like that you vocoder-rolled us this week.  I thought that was extremely clever and different.  Overall I must say this track was pretty enjoyable.  Lots of energy and kept interesting.  Also it seemed a little less repetitive than bLiNd's mix from last week (even though it's not quite as warm and full on the production side).

ladyWildfire

Lots of really big neat sounds in this one.  Solid arrangement, big beats and some catchy grooves in this one.  Although I felt like the arrangement could have used more, maybe some emotional instrumental solos or some vocals.

Ghetto Lee Lewis

Definitely the worst song in this whole competition so far.  too much reverb, nooby chip sounds, and way too much going on to constitute a coherent arrangement.  Oh who am I kidding?  xP  I have to say I'm very grateful for the help I got this week from Will and Jason.  I'm very happy how everything came together.  Great work guys!

Amphibious

I feel like this is one of the most solid mixes of the week.  Very groovilicious and funky, and yet pretty relaxing too.  Maybe just a little bit too relaxing, could have taken some more risks this week, given the mix some higher energy and easily had one of the top tracks for this compo.

Anorax

Really nice arrangement this week.  I love the direction and vision this song has going for it.  Unfortunately I think the execution could have been a lot better.  The song seems to have quite a few mixing and production issues.  Could have used more energy as well.

Usa

Thought the song started out pretty nice, and then I began getting pretty bored.  But then BOOM, suddenly the song picks up a bunch of energy, and then begins to die off and get boring again, but then OMG IT GETS EVEN MORE UPBEAT AND GROOVY.  I really love how Usa and Sir Nuts worked together on this to create a really interesting and fun song that takes the listener by surprise into a magical adventure of ear candy and drugs.  Definitely one of my favorite mixes of the week.

Supercoolmike

I gotta be honest, for like the first minute or two of this song I felt uneasy, and then I realized the theme was "a centipede's burden".  Well centipedes certainly make me feel really uneasy.  I think you really nailed that if that's what you were going for.  Not the most enjoyable mix for me at least, but a solid arrangement nonetheless.

The Hiryuu

I feel like this song was inspired by Willrock's song from last week, between the chip sounds and crazy guitar solos.  I have to admit some of the guitar licks in this track are really incredible.  This might be the first and/or last time I ever say the guitar in this song sounds way too quiet.  It has a lot of really major production issues.  If the mixing in this song were better it could easily be one of the best songs in the compo.

Pu freak

Frankly I really wasn't impressed at all when I first started listening to this song.  As a pianist, I am extremely picky whenever I hear other people perform.  However, it wasn't long before my opinion changed.  Obviously everything in this song is performed live, not some sequenced crap (yes, I have an utter seething hatred for sequenced piano, or mediocre execution).  The arrangement continues to get more and more emotional and keeps building up energy and evolving.  6 minutes is a long time, and I was cursing the fact that I drank strong alcohol content beer before playing this song, yet I couldn't tear myself away from it until the very end.  This is definitely by far my very favorite mix of the week.  I had never heard of Pu freak before this compo, but now I definitely want to hear much more.

I'm not quite sure what to say about this one.  The sound choices were really weird, some of the drums seemed kind of pretty off, and the arrangement just kind of seemed to be going everywhere.  I guess it had kind of a creepy/mysterious kind of vibe to it.  Definitely a creative track though.

Thanks for the review. It is a very strange song for sure and everything you said about it is true. The second source always ruins my arrangement too. Any tips on what kind of mindset I should have when incorporating both themes? After making both songs match keys I'm at a loss as to how to go about successfully integrating the two. It's always been a problem for me.

Music is being prepared.

Hiryuu, Anorax, and Darren Smith, you guys didn't submit 44.1kHz waves. I have to convert these.

Please make sure you are exporting your wav files in accordance with the standards specified in the first post. :)

I just looked at the source track link I sent in from Audicity and it says it is 2 channel at 44100 kHz with some wierd mono tracks at (1:28 to 2:09) also in 44100 kHz. The bass is way too loud from 1:28 to 2:09. Something must be messed up in my project.

Thanks for the review. It is a very strange song for sure and everything you said about it is true. The second source always ruins my arrangement too. Any tips on what kind of mindset I should have when incorporating both themes? After making both songs match keys I'm at a loss as to how to go about successfully integrating the two. It's always been a problem for me.

Music is easiest to keep organized if you think about it in layers. notes-intervals-triads. Definitely practice your scales, modes and chords.  Knowing what chords you are using is essential to keeping your arrangement organized.  

I just looked at the source track link I sent in from Audicity and it says it is 2 channel at 44100 kHz with some wierd mono tracks at (1:28 to 2:09) also in 44100 kHz.

Sounds like you imported the wav correctly into audacity but you might want to check your export settings. 

I feel like you really liked bLiNd's track from week one and decided to go in a similar direction (Dubstep evolving into DnB just a coincidence???)  I really like that you vocoder-rolled us this week.  I thought that was extremely clever and different.  Overall I must say this track was pretty enjoyable.  Lots of energy and kept interesting.  Also it seemed a little less repetitive than bLiNd's mix from last week (even though it's not quite as warm and full on the production side).

Heh, I wasn't consciously aware about being inspired by bLiNd's track, 't was more that I was feeling fed up with the dubstep thing and I wanted more energy and the DnB transition felt like a good next step. 

Too bad you missed the second rickrolling ;)

KingTiger

I can definitely hear where Jordan helped out with this.  The mix is very full, and the arrangement keeps progressing and evolving and staying interesting.  It's for the most part very groovy and a fun song to listen to.  Some of the sound choices I didn't care for much though, and there wasn't really a part of the song that stood out for me.

I'm gonna toot my own horn here - bLiNd contributed some awesome drum stems he built for me, which I then proceeded to chop up and rearrange and process to some degree. Regarding the drums, the two main kick drums, the main snare, the "snaps" that accompany the snare, and an open hi hat I made out of white noise are mine; and then everything non-percussion is mine - leads, bass, pads, bells, etc. All the mixing too. Jordan was so kind as to master it for me, but I think I can take most of the credit for the warmth/fullness and the progression/evolution :) (Jordan, feel free to chip in with your own thoughts)

I'll post a source breakdown soon.

I'm not sure about C minor, I'm getting Bb Maj as well :/

I agree that it's C minor (besides in the dissonant section, where it's less clear). The scale used as the main melody is a minor scale that definitely contains Eb and Ab. Eb major is Ab, Eb, Bb, so we're in the C relative minor, before 1:02. There, it switches to Eb minor, containing Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, and Gb. On the repeat at 1:15, it sounds like it should go to Bb to resolve into a Bb relative minor key, but the composer decided to use what sounds like the 2nd in the Bb minor key at that point as the root of a C minor key on the repeat. Seemed forced to me, but ah well. :whatevaa:

Pu freak

Frankly I really wasn't impressed at all when I first started listening to this song.  As a pianist, I am extremely picky whenever I hear other people perform.  However, it wasn't long before my opinion changed.  Obviously everything in this song is performed live, not some sequenced crap (yes, I have an utter seething hatred for sequenced piano, or mediocre execution).  The arrangement continues to get more and more emotional and keeps building up energy and evolving.  6 minutes is a long time, and I was cursing the fact that I drank strong alcohol content beer before playing this song, yet I couldn't tear myself away from it until the very end.  This is definitely by far my very favorite mix of the week.  I had never heard of Pu freak before this compo, but now I definitely want to hear much more.

Thanks for the compliments man! :D

Music is being prepared.

Hiryuu, Anorax, and Darren Smith, you guys didn't submit 44.1kHz waves. I have to convert these.

Please make sure you are exporting your wav files in accordance with the standards specified in the first post. :)

Ah, fuck. Completely forgot to check the sample rate when exporting. Sorry DarkeSword!

Warning:  The following reviews are influenced by the consumption of alcohol and in no way reflect the views and opinion of team Rock Hard Mandrills

Nothing more honest than drunken honesty!

Anorax

Really nice arrangement this week.  I love the direction and vision this song has going for it.  Unfortunately I think the execution could have been a lot better.  The song seems to have quite a few mixing and production issues.  Could have used more energy as well.

Fair enough. I was hit with a solid wall of writer's block (or whatever the arranger's equivalent is) for most of the week. What was turned in was completely BS'd Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. I really wish I had devoted more time to this track, but life got in the way a lot a bit.

ladyWildfire, I strongly urge you to get someone to spit some rhymes over Tribal Hunter if you decide to sub to OCR. The beat is too good and is practically begging for someone to rap over it.

Sounds like a great idea! I'd love to perform it myself, but I'm not really the best lyricist, so if anyone wants to volunteer some help that'd be fantastic!

I didn't submit 44.1k? Weird. I swore I did. Reaper must've changed my defaults on me.

And yeah, I'm really disappointed in my production/mix job, but I had a half-hour to do it, and that was stretching it as it was. It was never my strong suit anyway, but I can do a LITTLE better than that when I actually have time to tweak.

I agree that it's C minor (besides in the dissonant section, where it's less clear). The scale used as the main melody is a minor scale that definitely contains Eb and Ab. Eb major is Ab, Eb, Bb, so we're in the C relative minor, before 1:02. There, it switches to Eb minor, containing Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, and Gb. On the repeat at 1:15, it sounds like it should go to Bb to resolve into a Bb relative minor key, but the composer decided to use what sounds like the 2nd in the Bb minor key at that point as the root of a C minor key on the repeat. Seemed forced to me, but ah well. :whatevaa:

Well I kind of did a whole midi from scratch on this song, so I understand what's going on pretty well.  Yes, the key is C minor.  The intro uses a chromatic downward progression to build tension, but technically all the melodic notes can still fit into the C melodic minor scale neatly.

There's a transition that's probably throwing people off.  The song suddenly goes into an E flat minor chord.  It is a very brief modulation used to build tension for just that chord (jazz music does this all the time, by the way).  Then it goes into D flat major or F minor, which smooths the transition back to C minor (though there's one part which goes I think E flat minor, D flat, then F major, before going back to C minor).

Song indeed begins in C minor. However, the organ plays C minor with major and minor 7ths in the following bars, making that chromatic progression Lee mentioned.

Section with the main melody is still in C minor, adding minor 7th, major 6th and minor 6th in the following bars (essentially, highest note of the chord goes C, Bb, A, Ab).

Then there's a bass riff that is in Db minor for two bars and F minor for two more bars. Song essentially repeats once before a new change.

Final section is on Db minor and chords are Db minor, Gb major/Db and a weird one that feels like Fsus but I'm not entirely sure.

Song indeed begins in C minor. However, the organ plays C minor with major and minor 7ths in the following bars, making that chromatic progression Lee mentioned.

Section with the main melody is still in C minor, adding minor 7th, major 6th and minor 6th in the following bars (essentially, highest note of the chord goes C, Bb, A, Ab).

Then there's a bass riff that is in Db minor for two bars and F minor for two more bars. Song essentially repeats once before a new change.

Final section is on Db minor and chords are Db minor, Gb major/Db and a weird one that feels like Fsus but I'm not entirely sure.

It is an Fsus.  Edit:  I just posted the midi's I worked on.  Sorry, they're not 100% complete, but should be enough to help people get started.

Part One

Part Two