Mega Man X: The Sigma Fortress Remix Gauntlet 2015

DarkeSword

Are you... are you writing OCR fan fiction?  :shock:

I'm eager to read all about evktalo's insanity and how the story unfolds. How many people will be slaughtered (tuberzd), how many Doritos are eaten and how the hell did they end up in this band called Maverick BeAstley? Guess we'll find out in the new episode! Hope it doesn't involve Hacksocks singing weWillRockyou at loud volumes and throwing NutS at Usa people.

Hey guys, just a quick heads up. I'm submitting my mix now cuz I'm gonna be away from my PC during the weekend and won't be back till late monday. To top it off I found this out after I decided to start over from my initial wip and only had 3 days to work with (-.-') - ya...

So I busted ass with little to no sleep making sure It was of top condition before friday came; also cuz I hate sending work that's not finished... Just a fair warning tho. I don't feel like I have a good ending since I'm really rushing things,So hopefully I made the cut with some either way. 

Good luck to everyone else, Can't wait to hear them when they're released.  ;-)

Quick impressions! Had to travel this week so I haven't had much time to listen to stuff.

Es-cop-pay - Nice mood! Production values are good and the voice sounds super clear. If I'm getting the source usage right it's pretty creative. Arrangement feels very repetitive though.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Maverick - Nice intro, some of the samples seem of slightly low quality but I dig the vibe. Neon Tiger with the wah lead sounds cool. I like that you used most of the X8 theme in different parts of the arrangement. A tad short though. With more development I'd have definitely voted for this one.

Subtle Haystack Tibulation - What the hell is this title haha. I like the use of guitars to give the source a rocking style. I think they could sound more powerful though. The rhytm in 1:21 is weird, seems like the drums and guitars are in different time measures and it sounds odd. In the 2:14 section I feel it gets way too crowded and notes start clashing way too much... Overall it has creative ideas but it seems you tried to cram way too much stuff in here. The moody Never Gonna Give You Up in the ending is amazing haha.

Straight Outta RAGE - Not feeling the RAGE in the intro haha, but I dig the relaxing mood. E. Piano sounds sweet. Very creative use of the sources and definitely one of my faves so far. One thing I didn't enjoy that much were the crushing or whatever effects in the drums. They were nice at first but they get tiring fast. Awesome change to the piano break. Second half drags on a bit but the song is very good overall.

Palace of the Beast - Nice! Feels like I'm playing a PS1 RPG here haha. Guitar kind of breaks that feeling a bit but the menacing mood is cool. Great use of Slash Beast with the brass, I like that you actually changed the melody to fit the chords (something that many people forget to do and end up with clashing notes). The song then continues with similar but awesome ideas. My favourite of the round probably, very creative use of both sources and great production. If forced to nitpick I feel the drums have too much reverb for the style you aimed for.

Chiral - As usual, bringing the funk! The leads sound awesome. Production is clean and the arrangement is fun. However, and as much as I dig the song, I felt other entries used the sources better (maybe just by being longer songs haha), so this isn't getting one of my votes.

Beached Whale in Miami - Nice staccato synths. Sadly, this is ridiculously short... I guess it could be a pretty cool song if finished.

Requiem for a Reploid - Someone had to make a dramatic song eventually! At 0:23 I almost thought you were going to use Metal Gear Solid's theme haha. Orchestra sounds very nice and chords are very interesting. Mixing Shield Sheldon into such a dramatic mood is a bit hard though since that song is so happy sounding. It fits sometimes but other times it doesn't fit that much sadly. I really like how this sounds, production is clean and instrument selection is great. The usage of Sheldon's theme around 2:20 is very very nice. It reminds me of the PS1 Rayman game (the first one). For the outro I thought you'd go with a super crescendo using that last Sheldon melody so I was a bit disappointed with the calm finish haha.

Victory at the Palace of Rejects - For some reasons all your songs sound very similar haha. Production is clean but the arrangement lacks some exciting. To put it bluntly I feel the percussion is very lacking and even boring. Actually I believe this is what usually puts me off about your songs. Leads are fine and have some interesting ideas but drums and bass tend to be slow and without much variation. You should experiment more with that to give your songs a more exciting edge.

Leap of Faith - Bass is surprisingly low for your songs Brostock! Awesome rocking mood as always. Your lead playing has been getting better and better lately, especially your vibrattos. The intro riff and it's repetitions are very cool, maybe my favourite riff of the round haha. Overall this is classic Hakstock, nice guitars, cool bass, rocking mood and fun leads! I have to say production seems worse than in your other entry haha. The drums, to be specific, sound less powerful than I'd expect.

Rise of the Sigma - Another dramatic song! Some nice chords here. Probably my fault but I barely hear Spark Mandrill. which is weird since it has some pretty recognizable melodies. I like how this sounds but I feel it's lacking in the source usage area.

As usual, voting was rough.

As much as I'd love to have done a real glitch-hop track, I was mostly just going for the hop :<  Threw in a bit of wackiness just for fun though.

Then I think we should collab sometime to make this one happen (glitch-hop it up?). There are some things I would be able to beef up with this (the bass, snare, and stereo imaging, mainly). :)

Rise of the Sigma - Another dramatic song! Some nice chords here. Probably my fault but I barely hear Spark Mandrill. which is weird since it has some pretty recognizable melodies. I like how this sounds but I feel it's lacking in the source usage area.

I used quite some Spark Mandrill actually. Here's a breakdown:

0:57 - 1:17: Tubular bells play the first part of the Spark Mandrill theme

1:17 - 1:34: The next part of the Spark Mandrill theme, only altered to fit the chords (and I left a small part out)

2:14 - 2:33: The piano and choirs play the background synths/strings of the first part of the Spark Mandrill theme

2:33 - 3:12: Choirs continue doing what they did, but the piano plays the first part of the Spark Mandrill theme

So, about one-and-a-half minute of Spark Mandrill :)

EDIT: Didn't have the time to listen to all of the songs yet... Hopefully Shariq won't get mad if I vote tomorrow ;)

I used quite some Spark Mandrill actually. Here's a breakdown:

0:57 - 1:17: Tubular bells play the first part of the Spark Mandrill theme

1:17 - 1:34: The next part of the Spark Mandrill theme, only altered to fit the chords (and I left a small part out)

2:14 - 2:33: The piano and choirs play the background synths/strings of the first part of the Spark Mandrill theme

2:33 - 3:12: Choirs continue doing what they did, but the piano plays the first part of the Spark Mandrill theme

So, about one-and-a-half minute of Spark Mandrill :)

EDIT: Didn't have the time to listen to all of the songs yet... Hopefully Shariq won't get mad if I vote tomorrow ;)

Your song probably is my favorite moody piece from this set. Definitely one for my dark souls playlist since it fits the game so well (Majula music is awful).

Nonstop mixing causes encroaching insanity....

Submitted.  I had to rush a lot of things at the last minute, between Jason getting sick, getting asked to work extra days this week, as well as dedicating the first part of the week to brushing up on piano.  I wasn't planning on doing the vocals myself, but I had to get something in there for the amazing lyrics Jason wrote.

Here are the lyrics:

Caine Train

Verse 1:

Caine Train's coming,
The people get in line,
'Cause they always,
Gotta do a line.

The mad conductor,
Yells all aboard get on,
The Ghetto man says,
We gonna run it 'til dawn.

Breathing death through a straw,