Mega Man X: The Sigma Fortress Remix Gauntlet 2015

DarkeSword

Strangely enough, I like using compos to experiment *out* of my comfort zone sometimes. My Round 2 and Round 7 tracks were styles I don't usually write with. My Round 4 entry was more "me" in that it had dubstep, but even that one was mainly similar to the "me" you last heard -once- in late 2013 (metal + glitch in Gunstar Heroes), not the "me" today. TBH, the music I'm most comfortable writing is probably funky EDM, but I don't want to do that *all* the time, so I branch out into variations on dubstep, glitch, and cinematic sometimes too.

TBH, the music I'm most comfortable writing is probably funky EDM, but I don't want to do that *all* the time

Nothing wrong with funky EDM all the time :razz:  #noshame

And yeah I thought there was quite a bit of variety in this compo;  from all the vocal tracks, Jason's choirs, Maverick Astley, some of the more experimental tracks people like timaeus22222222222 and Usa came up with. Good stuff!

I mostly use this compos to do something different.  Sometimes, when tracks get too hard to mix I have to fall onto something safe, which is my 80's electronica style, but for the most part I always do something different.  The last rmrb I did 3 completely different songs, same with the sonic compo, and also the 2 songs I did this time are also completely different.  I don't think I've ever done a classic trance or house remix for one of these compos, which is what most people knew me for.  Overall I think that approach has benefited me as a musician much more than trying to go with the usual path because of time constraints.

In the end, I make music for myself so I pay little attention to what other people are doing style-wise.  So if someone else decided to do some electro-swing in the same round as me that's alright.  In the end what matters to me is to push my boundaries a bit while also making good music.  That's why I also don't care at all about points or following a 50/50 split on source, in the end I just want a good song, so if I have to include only 20% of one source because it's what makes sense, then that's what's gonna be in the end.  The challenge of remixing these songs I like in new fun ways against other songs I also like is motivating for me.

I think I digressed quite a bit there but bringing it back to a concise point: I don't think the songs I've done are similar at all, and I've heard plenty of variety of styles in the others too, so I disagree with Mak.

C'mon guys. Why you all trying to defend your self? Did I say that everybody make same music? Or composing same things? I have a strong feeling that no one read what i said.

Let's take Rammstein's album "Mutter" for example. Then compo round will look like this:

1. Rammstein - Mutter

2. Rammstein - Sonne

3. Rammstein - Links2-3-4

4. Rammstein - Nebel

5. The Offspring - Bad Habit

6. Muse - Bliss

7. Pain - Just Hate me

8. etc

All I'm saying. Tracks SOUNDS same, like they were made for ONE album. Tracks are NOT the same. When I'm talking about mixing structure - I'm talking about MIX's structure. Not about composing or style or whatever. This means that drums/gtrs/synths/whatver sounds same for several tracks as they were build in "Mutter" album. 

Again. Sorry if you find my words offencive. May be my bad english or nobody read. Nevermind. This compo was fun, as i already told in my first post. Dunno why everybody trying to explain away. Sorry.

C'mon guys. Why you all trying to defend your self? Did I say that everybody make same music? Or composing same things? I have a strong feeling that no one read what i said.

Let's take Rammstein's album "Mutter" for example. Then compo round will look like this:

1. Rammstein - Mutter

2. Rammstein - Sonne

3. Rammstein - Links2-3-4

4. Rammstein - Nebel

5. The Offspring - Bad Habit

6. Muse - Bliss

7. Pain - Just Hate me

8. etc

All I'm saying. Tracks SOUNDS same, like they were made for ONE album. Tracks are NOT the same. When I'm talking about mixing structure - I'm talking about MIX's structure. Not about composing or style or whatever. This means that drums/gtrs/synths/whatver sounds same for several tracks as they were build in "Mutter" album. 

Again. Sorry if you find my words offencive. May be my bad english or nobody read. Nevermind. This compo was fun, as i already told in my first post. Dunno why everybody trying to explain away. Sorry.

Seems like a good thing to me. Tracks are all remixed from the same material so there should be some familiarity between tracks. Plus makes for more cohesive listening if made on an album. 

Nothing wrong with funky EDM all the time :razz:  #noshame

And yeah I thought there was quite a bit of variety in this compo;  from all the vocal tracks, Jason's choirs, Maverick Astley, some of the more experimental tracks people like timaeus22222222222 and Usa came up with. Good stuff!

I think you might have missed a 2 in Timaeus's username. 

But yeah, I don't think I got to be as overtly weird as I wanted to be. Maybe next time. Having a busy university schedule sucks yo. 

I also want to thank everyone for participating, and—more importantly—I want to thank everyone for making this a drama-free compo. Usually there's at least one instance of someone being a total poop, whining about how people are voting or complaining about other teams'/artists' music. This time around, we had none of that. Everyone was a good sport and supportive of each other. I'm glad that people had fun and were able to learn things and grow as artists.

Also, just to reiterate something I said a few weeks ago: if you're planning on submitting tracks you made for the SFRG to OCR, please include a source breakdown for the judges' benefit.

I'd also like to suggest someone (not me) maybe organize an album project using select tracks from this competition. There's a lot of insanely good music that came out of the SFRG, and I think that a pretty good package could be put together and dropped as a proper album (as opposed to the standard archival release I put out of compos). Give artists maybe a week or two to make any necessary revisions, gather updated and remastered WAVs, etc. I can put together some album art too, and we can drop this as an OCRI release.