Town theme genres

This is something that's been bugging me for awhile, I can't find what genres these kind of songs belong to, making it hard to find similar music. The reason this relates to music composition is because I want to try making this kind of music, but I find it really hard when I only have a couple songs to listen to

Here's some of the songs I'm talking about, all by Nobuo Uematsu

There's plenty more, but I'll just stick with 4 to avoid making a huge post of youtube videos

I hear a lot of harmonic tension in these songs, especially in Fishermans Horizon, I think that's what makes it sound so relaxing.That's something I'm not too good with yet, so I'm hoping finding more music in whatever genres these belong to will help me understand it better
I've sarched everywhere for specific genres but I always end up with "Videogame music"

I'd really appreciate if someone could point me in the right directioin

I'd say you're having trouble because most of those tunes are really difficult to categorize into a genre. Most RPG town themes never fall into one category of music.

Most commonly though, it's just a more relaxing piece of music that is either a lullaby or ambient tune.

Like, in most of the examples so far, it is basically a string instrument (or something emulating one) playing a progression of arpeggios and a melody. Wind instruments, a music box or another string instrument usually carries the melody. There is usually not much in the way of percussion either. It's all pretty minimalist. As for harmony, just use a lot of extended chords etc. in either a major or minor key. Lots of 7ths, 9ths and Sus chords for example.

I'd say you're having trouble because most of those tunes are really difficult to categorize into a genre. Most RPG town themes never fall into one category of music.

Most commonly though, it's just a more relaxing piece of music that is either a lullaby or ambient tune.

Like, in most of the examples so far, it is basically a string instrument (or something emulating one) playing a progression of arpeggios and a melody. Wind instruments, a music box or another string instrument usually carries the melody. There is usually not much in the way of percussion either. It's all pretty minimalist. As for harmony, just use a lot of extended chords etc. in either a major or minor key. Lots of 7ths, 9ths and Sus chords for example.

Interesting, I thought there would've been a specific genre for this kind of stuff. This just makes me respect VG music a whole lot more

That guitar lulluby video does sound kind of similar, just with a single instrument. So far I've recognized some new-age, folk, and bossa nova elements in Uematsu's town/character themes. I guess all I need is practice with extended chords, I don't really have an ear for them yet

Thanks for the help