Nintendo president Satoru Iwata passes away

lazygecko

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/150713e.pdf

Nintendo Co., Ltd. deeply regrets to announce that President Satoru Iwata passed away on July 11, 2015 due to a bile duct growth

For those who don't know he had been undergoing cancer treatment recently, but there wasn't much indication of it being this serious.The death of beloved high profile people just keep piling up these past couple of months, unfortunately.

I already said this on twitter, but the dude was a programming legend. The guy singlehandedly (more or less) programmed Earthbound, and shrunk Pokemon GS down enough to fit Kanto in. As CEO, he halved his pay when profits dropped. Maintained a priority toward gamers throughout his tenure as well. The man was a monolith in the gaming industry, and will be sorely missed..

I already said this on twitter, but the dude was a programming legend. The guy singlehandedly (more or less) programmed Earthbound, and shrunk Pokemon GS down enough to fit Kanto in. As CEO, he halved his pay when profits dropped. Maintained a priority toward gamers throughout his tenure as well. The man was a monolith in the gaming industry, and will be sorely missed..

This, plus the way he ran his company, the way he always tried to put customers' fun first, and many other reasons, were why he was one of the very few game execs I had even the slightest respect for. He was definitely one of the good ones.

Member of Hal Labs, the creators of Kirby. . Programmed Earthbound. Helped found Creatures Inc., who created a lot of the Pokémon designs, as well as worked on Pokémon Gold and Silver, resulting in Kanto being included in the game (which in turn is often cirted as one of the reason people loved the game so much). Not only gave the go-ahead for the incredibly successful Wii and DS, but also helped out of the designs and even worked on some of the games for said systems.

Yeah, I guess he had a bit of a role in things.

Can we get a tribute album? It would be a primarily Earthbound and Kirby songs, but it's still stuff he worked on.

Can we get a tribute album? It would be a primarily Earthbound and Kirby songs, but it's still stuff he worked on.

Would you be willing to direct one? A 5-7 track EP could be something the community could pull together quickly, as long as someone was pushing it forward. AnSo asked about a potential album on Twitter, so I know he's interested in creating something.

Something from Pokemon G/S that plays in Kanto would be called for, and apparently Smash Melee was on the verge of cancellation due to massive bugginess until he stepped in, so that too.

I am crushed. The instant I got online and found out, it pretty much torpedoed any chance of me being productive. 

Dude was a great person and a badass programmer. 55...god...so early...

I would love to see a tribute album. And totally second the idea of sticking a Kanto song from G/S/C in there. Or Pokemon Stadium 1 (the JP one), as he's the one who ported over the battle logic for that game.

Although Nintendo was pretty much my childhood up until the n64, we got divorced afterwards.  That doesn't take away how great of a person Iwata was and how much respect I had for the man.  Very few people put fun ahead of everything in this industry, and although he also wore a suit all the time, he was the less suit-type of guy in the whole industry.  Nothing but respect for him.

If Larry is organizing some kind of album, please hit me up.

Would you be willing to direct one? A 5-7 track EP could be something the community could pull together quickly, as long as someone was pushing it forward. AnSo asked about a potential album on Twitter, so I know he's interested in creating something.

I've got free tiem this summer, and I wanted to head the Gameboy album, but had to hand it off... so OK.

I remember playing Super Smash Bros: Melee back in late 2007, which got me into this series and I got my first proper slice to experience Kirby in 2011 with the Wii game, Return to Dream Land. I may not be a big Pokémon fan as I used to be. But I had lots of fun with the first 2 generations of it.

While I’ve never had the chance to meet the guy, I have watched a few Nintendo Directs to see that he was a humble and nice man. He has touched the hearts to not only Nintendo fans, but to all gamers in general. Regardless if we’re hardcore, casual, PC, console, mobile or handheld.

Thank you, Satoru Iwata. For everything you’ve done over the years. I give my condolences’ to his family, friends and employees at Nintendo who worked with him. And may Nintendo find a worthy successor to continue his legacy.

May you rest in peace good sir.  :cry:

I met Iwata-san awhile back, very humble person. I can't think of any other way to describe him. Nicest guy you can just smile, and shake their hand.  It feels weird without him being on this Earth anymore. But he did turn heads in the industry. And brought lots of smiles along the way. (and challenged a few too).