OCR03177 - Dr. Mario "A Doctor You Can Trust"

Liontamer

Everything takes a bit of a backseat to the drums. A lot of the time it just sounds like someone is mumbling in the background. The snare is super loud and dry... It does not at all sound like something that was produced in a high end recording studio. But on to the positive, it's a super funny novelty song, wish we got more joke songs more often. So much fun. :)

Sometimes I wish OCR would split off vocal remixes to another site or something. I just can't get into classic game songs with lyrics added into them, and am always disappointed when I see a new remix but discover it's "tainted".

Anyway, I appreciate the effort on this, but it sounds like a B-side of the Re*arded Hot Chili Peppers...if such a parody band existed.

Sometimes I wish OCR would split off vocal remixes to another site or something. I just can't get into classic game songs with lyrics added into them, and am always disappointed when I see a new remix but discover it's "tainted".

I'm truly satisfied that you have 0 control over the selection process. :-D

It's a joke song, so expecting a musical masterpiece and taking this too seriously is unnecessary. It's good for a laugh, and to be honest, I quite enjoyed the section between the middle and the end of the laughs and other Mario jumping sound effect vocals. Not my cup of tea, even for a comedy mix, but I got a laugh out of it, so it's worth the listen.

Brushing it off as a comedy song and saying it's good for a laugh really isn't doing justice to the review process. Was honestly hoping others would share some crits / positives to the mix so I'd know I wasn't crazy with the crits that I posted. Not liking vocal mixes is beating a dead horse, and you can't defend all vocal mixes under the umbrella of "you don't get it" or "vocal hate is so old hat". There's a lot of facets to vocal performance and quality. I mentioned I thought it sounded buried and mumbly a lot of the time.

I actually had a neighbor circa 2002 or so who had a voice / accent that matched this song. Kinda tickles me. :-)

Brushing it off as a comedy song and saying it's good for a laugh really isn't doing justice to the review process. Was honestly hoping others would share some crits / positives to the mix so I'd know I wasn't crazy with the crits that I posted. Not liking vocal mixes is beating a dead horse, and you can't defend all vocal mixes under the umbrella of "you don't get it" or "vocal hate is so old hat". There's a lot of facets to vocal performance and quality. I mentioned I thought it sounded buried and mumbly a lot of the time.

I actually had a neighbor circa 2002 or so who had a voice / accent that matched this song. Kinda tickles me. :-)

If I really wanted to be pedantic about this, I would say the guitar wasn't particularly rhythmically tight enough. But I found the vocals distractingly bad (so bad it's good) enough that eh, I can accept this as a joke track that's just good enough.

I'm truly satisfied that you have 0 control over the selection process. :-D

I never said I wanted it; I'm not qualified in musical production. However, as a patron of the site since 1999-2000, and a lifelong music lover, I am qualified and entitled to have an opinion, which is what you solicited in the OP. It just so happens that 98% of the time I just don't get into the homespun written-and-sung lyrics, regardless of quality, which I can at least appreciate creatively. That's why I say "sometimes" it would be nice to have all of those somehow separated, especially since they seem to be more common than ever. Unfortunately for me, lately it feels like lyrical new releases outnumber the instrumentals, which I prefer. If you are a judge, hopefully your wisdom includes considering the fans..all of them. That's it, thanks and carry on.

I never said I wanted it; I'm not qualified in musical production. However, as a patron of the site since 1999-2000, and a lifelong music lover, I am qualified and entitled to have an opinion, which is what you solicited in the OP. It just so happens that 98% of the time I just don't like the vocal mixes. That's why I say "sometimes" it would be nice to have all of those somehow separated, especially since they seem to be more common than ever. Unfortunately for me, lately it feels like they outnumber the instrumentals in new releases, which I prefer. If you are a judge, hopefully your wisdom includes considering the fans..all of them. That's it, thanks and carry on.

Well, the judges placed upon themselves the obligation to be fair and be the least subjective as they can. Sometimes they have to reject something they love for poor production, pass something they don't care for out of respect for a great arrangement, and so on. That comes with the expectation that sometimes a ReMix will pass where the panel is split, or sometimes people will get mixed reactions, etc. One might expect that from rap, hip hop, dubstep, metal, and joke tracks, from what I've seen. Oh well. :<

If fans are directly considered, then it would be closer to a popularity vote than a fair vote, by my interpretation.

Larry also gave that remark with a grin, so... grin... too? :-D

But if you really want it...

If you are a judge, hopefully your wisdom includes considering the fans..all of them.

We literally do not "consider the fans" at any stage of the judging process, because this isn't a popularity contest, this is a creativity contest. :-) This site also is cool with diversity. We're not actively catering to anyone's personal taste.

To actually hold DPC's track (or any vocal track) back or put it in a corner because "most people prefer instrumentals"/"think of meeeee, I may not like it" is really closed-minded. Of course, you can dislike whatever you want, but we don't care anyway vis-a-vis track selection or presentation.

"sometimes" it would be nice to have all of those somehow separated, especially since they seem to be more common than ever.

Separate but equal? Segregation of minorities? Really? Tracks aren't people, but to me your proposal is also silly. Let's not go there. :lol:

Also, so far, we've only got 266 tracks with any type of lyrics out of 3,056 ReMixes, so 91% of the site is instrumental. But are the vocals TAKING OVER?

0001-1000: 28/885: 3.16%

1001-2000: 83/992: 8.37%

2001-3000: 128/999: 12.81%

3001-3180: 27/180: 15%

Hey cool, the trend IS growing. 3 out of every 20 ReMixes lately have had lyrics. 17 out of every 20 tracks being instrumental means instrumentals aren't even close to outnumbered, and that you're needlessly fixating on lyrics. Maybe by the time we reach OCR04000, lyrics will (dangerously) bump up to 16% or 17%. :-) Try not to get too hung up on it. VGM is mostly instrumental, OCR will tip towards instrumental for as long as we're doing this, that's just the numbers.

Anyway, TL;DR, you can certainly dislike anything you want, but to tell us to consider some sort of change in how any style or genre of mixes are presented... it ain't happening.

I really - REALLY - REALLY like this mix! Vocal mixes done well are a treasure and delight. I put this up there with Star Ocean Summertime by Hale-Bopp, Her Smile In Every Summer by The Hot Freaks, anything by Jillian Aversa - just, wow. Grade-A material here!

Well, the judges placed upon themselves the obligation to be fair and be the least subjective as they can. Sometimes they have to reject something they love for poor production, pass something they don't care for out of respect for a great arrangement, and so on. That comes with the expectation that sometimes a ReMix will pass where the panel is split, or sometimes people will get mixed reactions, etc. One might expect that from rap, hip hop, dubstep, metal, and joke tracks, from what I've seen. Oh well. :<

If fans are directly considered, then it would be closer to a popularity vote than a fair vote, by my interpretation.

Larry also gave that remark with a grin, so... grin... too? :-D

But if you really want it...

Thanks for your reply. I might have not been specific enough, but I wasn't saying I or any other non-judge should be part of the selection process. I was more addressing the cavalier attitude the judge was tossing around in an attempt to rudely pacify an opinion he doesn't share, immediately after asking for peoples' opinions. I sincerely hope his attitude and personality are offset by more rational and objective talent on the panel; something which pains me to say after enjoying the man's site and work for a decade and a half :-\

We literally do not "consider the fans" at any stage of the judging process, because this isn't a popularity contest, this is a creativity contest. :-) This site also is cool with diversity. We're not actively catering to anyone's personal taste.

To actually hold DPC's track (or any vocal track) back or put it in a corner because "most people prefer instrumentals"/"think of meeeee, I may not like it" is really closed-minded. Of course, you can dislike whatever you want, but we don't care anyway vis-a-vis track selection or presentation.

Separate but equal? Segregation of minorities? Really? Tracks aren't people, but to me your proposal is also silly. Let's not go there. :lol:

Also, so far, we've only got 266 tracks with any type of lyrics out of 3,056 ReMixes, so 91% of the site is instrumental. But are the vocals TAKING OVER?

0001-1000: 28/885: 3.16%

1001-2000: 83/992: 8.37%

2001-3000: 128/999: 12.81%

3001-3180: 27/180: 15%

Hey cool, the trend IS growing. 3 out of every 20 ReMixes lately have had lyrics. 17 out of every 20 tracks being instrumental means instrumentals aren't even close to outnumbered, and that you're needlessly fixating on lyrics. Maybe by the time we reach OCR04000, lyrics will (dangerously) bump up to 16% or 17%. :-) Try not to get too hung up on it. VGM is mostly instrumental, OCR will tip towards instrumental for as long as we're doing this, that's just the numbers.

Anyway, TL;DR, you can certainly dislike anything you want, but to tell us to consider some sort of change in how any style or genre of mixes are presented... it ain't happening.

That was overkill for reading far too much into what I wrote, but thank you for being so empirical. I do admit that my bias of not enjoying the lyrical tracks colors my perception, and that's all I said, that it "seems" like there are more than ever...lately, not literally, and not since the historical beginning. Anyway, thanks for taking the time.

As for the "consider the fans", I did not in any way mean that my nor any other site visitor's opinions be considered in the judging process necessarily, and not to make it any type of public voting/popularity contest. Just that rudely dismissing long-time visitors' opinions after explicitly requesting them in the OP doesn't really instill much confidence in a judge's ability to be fair, impartial, etc. It also doesn't say much that an officiating member of the site would brashly and curtly speak for everyone (staff and all of the site's traffic) to swat down with such a strong hand, a very passive, informal suggestion that in all honestly would cause precisely zero negative side-effects, yet benefit all users in their ability to find the content on the site most relevant to their tastes.

And for the record, I have never said, please OCR, quit posting lyrical remixes. I see the value in posting them for those who do enjoy. I was mostly saying that because some of us do not particularly care for them, it would be great to have some way of denoting them (i.e. metadata, etc) that would be searchable, so we can quickly tell. Obviously a separate site is hyperbole, but the core idea above is a sound suggestion.

And for the record, I have never said, please OCR, quit posting lyrical remixes. I see the value in posting them for those who do enjoy. I was mostly saying that because some of us do not particularly care for them, it would be great to have some way of denoting them (i.e. metadata, etc) that would be searchable, so we can quickly tell. Obviously a separate site is hyperbole, but the core idea above is a sound suggestion.

Seems reasonable, and we ARE working on tags/terms that would enable this... we like to strike a balance between encouraging diversity (both on the part of artists AND listeners) and being accommodating to folks who may have more specific tastes.

The human voice will always be my favorite instrument, personally, and I love the extra layers of creativity that original vocals/lyrics can provide.

Thanks for your reply. I might have not been specific enough, but I wasn't saying I or any other non-judge should be part of the selection process. I was more addressing the cavalier attitude the judge was tossing around in an attempt to rudely pacify an opinion he doesn't share, immediately after asking for peoples' opinions. I sincerely hope his attitude and personality are offset by more rational and objective talent on the panel; something which pains me to say after enjoying the man's site and work for a decade and a half :-\

That was overkill for reading far too much into what I wrote, but thank you for being so empirical. I do admit that my bias of not enjoying the lyrical tracks colors my perception, and that's all I said, that it "seems" like there are more than ever...lately, not literally, and not since the historical beginning. Anyway, thanks for taking the time.

As for the "consider the fans", I did not in any way mean that my nor any other site visitor's opinions be considered in the judging process necessarily, and not to make it any type of public voting/popularity contest. Just that rudely dismissing long-time visitors' opinions after explicitly requesting them in the OP doesn't really instill much confidence in a judge's ability to be fair, impartial, etc. It also doesn't say much that an officiating member of the site would brashly and curtly speak for everyone (staff and all of the site's traffic) to swat down with such a strong hand, a very passive, informal suggestion that in all honestly would cause precisely zero negative side-effects, yet benefit all users in their ability to find the content on the site most relevant to their tastes.

It's funny that my impartiality would be called into question for not being biased like you are against arrangements with lyrics, but sure, I'll take that bet. :lol: Like djpretzel mentioned, we're underway with a large project to add descriptors to all of the mixes which (on the negative side) should help picky people avoid stuff that spooks them, but (on the much more positive side) help folks find more of what they like and learn more about the artists in the process. If you had suggested a metadata approach in your previous comments -- which you didn't -- I would have said we're already working on this.

I wasn't trying to "rudely pacify" you like you'd be some wilting flower. The original post doesn't say "Post your unassailable opinion." I was only flatly and forcefully rejecting the worst and -- by your own admission -- most hyperbolic of what you suggested, i.e. "I wish OCR would split off vocal remixes to another site or something," "lately it feels like lyrical new releases outnumber the instrumentals," and that vocals mixes are "tainted." Those things were said under the claim of somehow being good to the fans as a whole if we moved the vocal tracks, but would just stifle artistic creativity due to not getting equal exposure. I'll defend that for Dynamite Pleasure Chair or any other artist doing creative things with their music.

My opinion, this track is not "tainted" and neither are any of the other vocal mixes just for having vocals.

• 3 months later...

This song immediately reminds me of El Duce of the Mentors. While El Duce's style is wildy far from this mix, the vocals have a similar stutter skip effect where every word is shot like popcorn from the mouth. Love the weird spin, this style reminds me of Fred Schneider from the B-52's (Funkylittle shack! funk-y lit-tle shack! juke-box mon-ey, etc...)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The source theme does fit rather well with the instrumentation in this mix, especially the cowbell into guitar solo, but really what makes it for me are those vocals - they're SO BAD, but so good...

Song was definitely a good chuckle, I'm turning my head and laughing.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR03177 - Dr. Mario "A Doctor You Can Trust"