Heart of a Gamer: A Tribute to Satoru Iwata - History

The Damned

Usually the OCR staff handle that part.

We'll have about six weeks for that, and I don't really think we'll need too much? Most of the time, an OCR album gets a fair amount of coverage on the right sites, and things like Twitter and whatnot quickly convey all that really fast. It'll spread pretty fast in the first few days.

I'm more concerned that people will like it, and no one will send me hate mail for (insert arbitrary reason(s) +/- racist comment(s) here) like with The Missingno Tracks.

I'll rough up a few sketches and see what you think

Cool. Cool cool cool.

"White n***** jew fag" was one such message.

They didn't seem to like that there was electric guitar remix and that I was responsible for that, so therefore I was a white n***** jew fag.

I have to assume they weren't entirely serious, or that they don't understand the inherent difficulties of being both white and black. Which then leaves the matter of if they think that jewish and gay are somehow related or opposite of each other.

I still wonder how that logic works out from time to time.

Shortly after the album was released, and the early reviews and comments started coming in, I was told by someone on OCR that I was now part of the the "you ruined EVERYTHING I LOVED ABOUT (game title here)!" group.

Good times.

I still wonder how that logic works out from time to time.

Don't think about it too much, people like that use logic that defies the laws of physics. I found that out on Twitter yesterday when someone decided to personally attack me simply for my choice in TV shows.

Shortly after the album was released, and the early reviews and comments started coming in, I was told by someone on OCR that I was now part of the the "you ruined EVERYTHING I LOVED ABOUT (game title here)!" group.

Good times.

Making good art leads to some people hating you, I've observed. :-/ sorry, man.

I'm more concerned that people will like it, and no one will send me hate mail for (insert arbitrary reason(s) +/- racist comment(s) here) like with The Missingno Tracks.

I think there will be much less insults, due to the nature of the album. Very hard to insult someone for honoring a man who was such a big part of gaming. Its sort of like a Robin Williams album coming out to honor Robby after his death. You really can't hate on it, because Robby was a very good man while he was alive. I tend to make comparisons between Iwata and Robby because they both gave many people smiles.

OK, so the most notable quote (for me) from Mr. Iwata was: 
 "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."

And this album is to be a celebration of the man. Therefore there was only one way I could envisage the album cover:

Screen+Shot+2015-10-09+at+14.45.02.png?f

Please bear in mind this is only an incredibly rough sketch, and a far shout from the finished product (refer to the artwork in my website). I think it really encapsulate how I imagine the man to be when not in his suit and what he meant to so many of us. Please also note:
The Kirby T-shirt
SNES controller
Nintendo mug
Triforce tattoo
Pet Pikachu
Framed Ness
Smash Bros. Wall clock
Balloon Fight balloons.

What do you think of this very rough concept?

The title is great. Nice work. :nicework:

I like the quote, and would like to see how you could include it. Along that line...

I think we should have him wearing his signature grey business suit. That's how he always appeared on the Nintendo Direct videos, and it conveys the "corporate president" part. The other items tie the "a gamer" part as well. He was a professional, but he still loved his games.

The line from the controller to the title is kind of distracting, but the rest is a good start.

I think we should have him wearing his signature grey business suit. That's how he always appeared on the Nintendo Direct videos, and it conveys the "corporate president" part.

Yeah, I loved the art, the title, and the concept, too, but the t-shirt and tattoo were kind of jarring. Maybe a Kirby or a Master Sword tie? If you love the triforce tat, I think it should be on the back of the hand anyway (per the games), where it would both be more subtle and not be covered by the suit.

The title is great. Nice work. :nicework:

I like the quote, and would like to see how you could include it. Along that line...

I think we should have him wearing his signature grey business suit. That's how he always appeared on the Nintendo Direct videos, and it conveys the "corporate president" part. The other items tie the "a gamer" part as well. He was a professional, but he still loved his games.

The line from the controller to the title is kind of distracting, but the rest is a good start.

Yeah, I did find the controller cord kinda odd, and perhaps the tattoo could seem unprofessional, but otherwise it's a great start IMO.

Not to mention that in Japanese culture, tattoos are associated with organized crime and anti-social behavior. Hardly the sort of thing we would expect from an older, prime-and-proper Japanese businessman.

Don't forget: he was chosen by the previous president, Yamauchi, who by all rights and tradition should have chosen his own son. That was a sign of respect and trust, not something that a super-traditionalist like Yamauchi would have done to a man with tattoos.

Tattoos = nope.

Idea. Iwata in his signature suit, sitting in front of an TV with the controller in his hands, and the various game characters crowd behind him. They're smiling and encouraging him. The glow of the TV is shining on his glasses and he's having a good time playing a good game. Slight modification of the original idea, but more towards the "president, designer, gamer" aspect. You really nailed it with that quote. I think we should work it for all it's worth.

Idea. Iwata in his signature suit, sitting in front of an TV with the controller in his hands, and the various game characters crowd behind him. They're smiling and encouraging him. The glow of the TV is shining on his glasses and he's having a good time playing a good game. 

This is a good idea. It was my original plan to include actual characters, but I wasn't sure whether it was too cliché. Plus I'm not sure about time constraints. It'll obviously take a bit longer to draw multiple characters interacting than a bunch of artefacts from the games, but in the words of Fils-Aimé, my body is ready. Personally I like the subtlety of the latter, but I enjoy drawing the characters too, and am very much up for the significantly more allegorical aspect your idea provides. So whichever you'd prefer... How long do I have?

EDIT:

Additionally has anybody claimed the final 2 songs: Dragon Quest and OT Golf? Just thinking of character inclusion

"White n***** jew fag" was one such message.

They didn't seem to like that there was electric guitar remix and that I was responsible for that, so therefore I was a white n***** jew fag.

ive had some harsh criticisms in the past, i've been told the best thing is to do is to accept the criticism gracefully and work towards improving........ worked for me

glad we pick odai! his art is looking great!

Hey Damned, do I speak to you specifically about the album cover or is it a group input thing? I don't want to flood the thread with WIP's if it's unnecessary. Unless the community doesn't mind that kind of thing.

EDIT: Ps I did a quick doodle/sketch of the updated concept. see what you think. I'm hoping that Dragon Warrior and Open Championship golf will get claimed because otherwise that side of Iwata will be rather empty...
Screen+Shot+2015-10-10+at+19.08.17.png?f

Iwata was kind of a small guy. You got him looking pretty buff there.

Yup he was small, especially later on, poor guy. what you see here is basic physical form rather than accuracy. His head is also kinda small here. and his arm length is slightly asymmetrical. You guys forget this is a sketch!   :< 

Fear not, all shall be remedied as the image proceeds. He'll end up actually looking like Satoru too. My main concern is whether the overall layout works, and if so, whether to include Dragon Warrior and Golf Mario since the tracks haven't been claimed as yet.