DDR Mat as a midi controller

Anyone have any experience with this? Hooking up a dance mat to be recognized as a midi controller for playing samples, etc.

I understand there are some ways to have game controllers used the same way, a dance mat would be pretty cool as a drum machine or something.

Er.. a friend of mine is asking, I don't use those gay dance mats.

That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard. And you people are just encouraging him!

Agreed, no need for it and it'd be a stupid visual because people wouldn't think "oh, cool, that guys activatiing samples with his DDR pad!" but instead would think "WTF is that wanker doing on a DDR pad". MIDI controllers were invented for a reason, to kick ass!

That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard. And you people are just encouraging him!

It's an extention of the idea of a pedal-keyboard MIDI controller, so it is not all that idiotic. It could lead to a new way of controlling more pedalle signals than what is offered by one or two foot-pedals.

I could probably code up a program that would take game controller input (basically anything that's set up as a "joystick" in windows) and make it output midi, but I'm not sure if I can output it to the SYSTEM itself. If you had a way to loopback your midi out, it would work. I'll look into it. (Like I really need more projects right now.)