Final Fantasy-Mystic Quest Medley

Possessed

Wow, that's a bit on the loud side.

I wouldn't call this "inspired" so much as a cover.  It's a very good cover, but it's not really a remix.  It gets a little creative very briefly towards the end, but that's it.  Fade-out ending is ugh but one doesn't expect more from a VGM cover with so little interpretation.

Also, the transition between the two parts is really abrupt, even more so than most remixes accused of "medley-itis."  Even the instrumentation changes.  Even if you're not intending this for OCR, that could really be smoothed out.

The instrumentation actually does not change, but I do agree that it could be smoothed out a bit, although of all the people I've had feedback on it from other places you are the first to complain about it.  (not getting upset or anything, I agree that it could be smoother, it's just that since nobody else had pointed it out I was hoping it was just one of those things that only I would notice.   :()

I've updated the link to the version on my soundcloud page, it has the middle section remixed to try and sound closer to the opening and end segments.  I will agree that it's more of a cover than a remix, but that's all I really want to do.  I take songs from video games that I already like just how they are and just wish had real guitars, and make it so.  Like my mega man covers for instance.  I already love the feeling and feel like they are composed perfectly, I'm not going to change them just for the sake of changing them and remove the magic.  I just think they sound better with real guitars.  I already know that isn't what this site is about, I just thought I would share my stuff so that people might enjoy them.

Yo

Pros

very cool choice of song

good guitar playing

Cons

The drums sound very fake to me, both the samples and the performance.

-Find some different samples. I use and love the Steven Slate Drums.  

-Alternatively, study drum mixing, you may be able to make them sound better with a little better production.

-For example, your hats and cymbals are a bit too loud, I think.  Definitely too bright and nasty on the high end.  

-It's obviously MIDI programming, there is no difference between the hits. You can really tell in the part where the snare plays by itself.  "Humanize" it or go in and manually edit the velocities. That's a chore honestly, which is why it's easier to play it on keyboard or e drums and quantize it.

Overall mix is distorting the whole time, sounds like. It may be too loud overall so it's clipping, or one of the instruments may be clipping or too distorted.

Mix is also too bright.  Sounds like there is too much 1K-5K in there on the whole thing, so it's tiring on the ears.

-Compare to a pro song that sounds good often when mixing, this is essential if you are new to mixing.

Nice try with the changed repeat, however, it felt a little boring to me...needs more variation, besides a key change and some strings.

A lot of guitar noise in there, which sounds like it was left on purpose.  It doesn't work for me, it sounds like you messed up.  Ex:amples, 0:39, 3:50

-Use your software to take those parts out, I usually just go through and shorten the ends of the audio clips.

I agree that I hate to change the original song too much, however, I found it can be kind of fun too.  You don't have to write new stuff all the time...just find new ways to put the pieces of the original song together.

A lot of guitar noise in there, which sounds like it was left on purpose.  It doesn't work for me, it sounds like you messed up.  Ex:amples, 0:39, 3:50

-Use your software to take those parts out, I usually just go through and shorten the ends of the audio clips.

Lol, thanks for explaining that.