Recommended Programs for Remixing

I've been listening to remixes from OverClocked Remix for about a year now, and I thought I could start remixing myself. I have a few ideas up in my head, and now I just need help choosing a program.

It'd be great if this program was fairly easy for beginners. I also have acess to garage band on my best friend's computer, if anybody thinks that's a good program to use.

Also, I'm terribly sorry if this question has already been answered.

Many thanks,

-Jack

Oh yes , FL studio is nice to make the tracks you need to make a song and mix it together.

I`m combine FL studio 6 XXL and Adobe Audition 2

I make all the tracks in FL and mix it together in Audition2

I'd rather combine the two, add in better integration, better workflow, more features, make it an overall better product, and call it Cubase.

But that's just me. I mean, I think that recommending FL to someone is pretty much a death sentance when it comes to quality music. Unless you're Zircon, and there's only one of him.

Keep in mind that I'm speaking with a biased opinion because I like GOOD music, alot of people who prefer mediocre crap may recommend FL and other similar software.

.... :) Sorry Zirc, I just had to take this opportunity to trashtalk FLStudio.

In all seriousness, it's best to get used to every kind of software out there. Try whatever demos (or most likely warezzzzz) that you can get your hands on, and really try to learn how each works. That way you can get the most out of what this industry is putting millions of dollars into every year.

Alot of "n00bs" are too young and impatient, and they don't give themselves a chance to actually learn the software they're using.

In 95% of cases, new ReMixers here are like... hmmm, looking for a good analogy...AHA!!! New ReMixers are like a first time button mashing arcade game player taking part in a Street Fighter III tournament. It may impress your dog and 7 year old sister, but it wont hold up against the little Chinese dude who hasn't moved from the machine in so long that his hands are permanently fused to the joystick and buttons. Who's sole purpose in life has become to destroy your personality by humiliating the fuck out of you with a 53 hit Yun bounce combo before he drops dead from malnutrition and dehidration. Or something along those lines.

So yeah, make sure you know what you're doing before you start flooding rapidshare with shitty music. And no, I wont start taking my own advice :(

Snapple... I LOVE your metaphors. They are like melted cheese on a cold day - delicious, fatty, and warming.

Humorous metaphors aside, he has the right advice. The only person who can tell you what to use is you, after you have used a lot of stuff. So go forth and demo.

And welcome to the forums.

I will also reccomend AGAINST FLStudio. I've used it for a long time (3 years) and its flaws are quite a few. Personally (not necessarily a flaw though), I HATE how it does sequencing, the pattern-based thing just ain't working for me. Also, the plug-ins are total shit with the exception of like, one or two of 'em. No surround support, no 64-bit support, terrible support forums (worst layout ever). The audio and automation support is terrible and just slapped on instead of feeling like a real feature. The included synths are meh (although 3xOsc is alright), and aside from Sytrus, the ones you can buy aren't that hot either. Also, mine has been crashing A LOT lately, causing me to lose 2 or 3 projects because of it. It also don't work right with one of my main pieces of my virtual studio (Kontakt). I reccomend you check out demos of Tracktion, Sonar (if you're on windows), Cubase, and Logic (If you're on Mac).

Garage Band is perfect if you know nothing about remixing. It really is built for n00bs. And if you decide you like Apple products, Apple even has a free guide to show you how to use Logic by referring to stuff Garage Band has. So GB really works as a great stepping stone up to Logic Express, and then Logic Pro.

But that's for Mac. Most people will tell you "FROOTYLOOPS IS TEH BOMB!!!".

I will also reccomend AGAINST FLStudio. I've used it for a long time (3 years) and its flaws are quite a few. Personally (not necessarily a flaw though), I HATE how it does sequencing, the pattern-based thing just ain't working for me. Also, the plug-ins are total shit with the exception of like, one or two of 'em. No surround support, no 64-bit support, terrible support forums (worst layout ever). The audio and automation support is terrible and just slapped on instead of feeling like a real feature. The included synths are meh (although 3xOsc is alright), and aside from Sytrus, the ones you can buy aren't that hot either. Also, mine has been crashing A LOT lately, causing me to lose 2 or 3 projects because of it. It also don't work right with one of my main pieces of my virtual studio (Kontakt). I reccomend you check out demos of Tracktion, Sonar (if you're on windows), Cubase, and Logic (If you're on Mac).

I would agree with you on several points, but I still love FL :mrgreen:

Different people prefer different ways of working, so yes, FL isn't best for everyone - but a n00b isn't going to know how they like to work for a loooong itme, at least until they know what kind of work they're DOING. As such, I think FL is also the best option.

It's not the least expensive option, but something like energyXT is no place for a n00b to be venturing. I know that when I was at that stage FL was wondeful because it was really easy to just get going and just MAKE SOUND, right from the beginning. Once you can make a noise the rest follows - and you never know, once he's up and running he may grow to like it on a more serious level or he may end up finding an option that better suits his personal style.

I don't know much about Garage Band but my personal opinion is that Mac is not the optimal platform for the practical musician - namely because the freeware music software/synths/effects scene is focused squarely in Windows (and Linux to some extent), and as we all know, free synths and effects are the mana of the desert that is the life of a musician who's saving his money.

I don't know much about Garage Band but my personal opinion is that Mac is not the optimal platform for the practical musician - namely because the freeware music software/synths/effects scene is focused squarely in Windows (and Linux to some extent), and as we all know, free synths and effects are the mana of the desert that is the life of a musician who's saving his money.

There are plenty of free resources for the Mac musician. You just don't know where to look. VersionTracker, Mac Update, Macworld, Apple.com (and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head). They all feature a ton freeware stuff for Garage Band and Logic.

There are plenty of free resources for the Mac musician. You just don't know where to look. VersionTracker, Mac Update, Macworld, Apple.com (and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head). They all feature a ton freeware stuff for Garage Band and Logic.

I'm not saying there aren't any - but I don't think it's arguable that you can find as many or as good free synths and effects that run under Mac OSX.

Or maybe you can, but if so, people don't talk about them. The only one I hear about is Automat - and if I recall correctly, ZynAdSubbFX runs on Mac OSX as well (although I've always found ZynAdSubbFX kind of flaky). I don't really need to name all the amazing and famous free synths available for Windows. And sfz is Windows only, so is there even a free SF2 player that runs on Mac OSX?! I'm sure there has to be, just that I haven't heard of it.

And I believe a subset of the mda effects have been ported to Mac, but the Kjaerhus series, and gems like FreeAmp2, as well as the amazing Simulanalog Guitar Suite, etc. etc. are Windows only - I'm sure the numbers are in the thousands, although maybe only hundreds are worthwhile. The numbers are likely similar on the synths end.

That said, I haven't looked into free synths or effects for Mac, so if there are many that I haven't heard of then my opinion could change.

I'm not saying there aren't any - but I don't think it's arguable that you can find as many or as good free synths and effects that run under Mac OSX.

Or maybe you can, but if so, people don't talk about them. The only one I hear about is Automat - and if I recall correctly, ZynAdSubbFX runs on Mac OSX as well (although I've always found ZynAdSubbFX kind of flaky). I don't really need to name all the amazing and famous free synths available for Windows. And sfz is Windows only, so is there even a free SF2 player that runs on Mac OSX?! I'm sure there has to be, just that I haven't heard of it.

And I believe a subset of the mda effects have been ported to Mac, but the Kjaerhus series, and gems like FreeAmp2, as well as the amazing Simulanalog Guitar Suite, etc. etc. are Windows only - I'm sure the numbers are in the thousands, although maybe only hundreds are worthwhile. The numbers are likely similar on the synths end.

That said, I haven't looked into free synths or effects for Mac, so if there are many that I haven't heard of then my opinion could change.

Like I said. You don't hear about them because you're not looking for them. Garage Band supports SF2's natively and there is a free soundfont player for Mac if you need to access sfz or sfark files. Of course Windows users haven't heard of Mac plug-ins, because they are not looking for them!

The scale is about even. Everything you can find for Windows there is some Mac equivalent in one form or another. Its all just a matter of looking in the right places.

gems like FreeAmp2, as well as the amazing Simulanalog Guitar Suite

The only thing amazing about those is how many people decieve themselves into thinking that they sound good.

There's a reason good guitar amp modeling costs a shitload of money. Guitar Suite is free because it's crap.

I disagree. :P - vehemently in the case of FreeAmp2, and really only slightly in the case of Guitar Suite, but just because it doesn't sound quite so great doesn't mean it's not amazing and highly useful. It's not free because it's crap - it's free, and its usefulness depends on how you use it.

Also, Cerrax:

I had a long post earlier where I posted numbers from KVR's database, but I decided it was really kind of getting away from the point. We're both right - it's true that you can find basically everything you need for free on the Mac platform (if you say so), and that there are far greater numbers and varieties of free synths and effects available on the Windows platform (as I assert, and which I found to be the case from my quick research).

The only thing I can say about people who talk poorly of FL Studio is that they don't know how to use it.

Simultaneously, I can't suggest it for people new to computer music creation because it may SEEM easy to use, but that doesn't mean it's easy to use properly.

First of all, automation is not just tacked on. It's fully integrated into every single part of the program. This is apparent when you consider the following:

a) You can automate 99% of the controls in the program.

B) You can create automation inside of individual patterns to trigger and retrigger as frequently as you desire.

c) Automations can be created using either the graph-based Event Editor or by creating spline-based Automation Clips, which can run either the entire length of the song or can be four measures long and be dropped in at any point.

d) The program contains a number of "internal controllers" which allow you to do things like automate a large number of parameters simultaneously by only creating automation for one knob.

Automation has been as much a part of FL as the fuckin' STEP SEQUENCER has for quite a long time.

Secondly, audio integration may not be the most intuitive, but they're constantly improving on it. The latest improvement incorporates the Edison audio editor, which is QUITE in-depth, considering it's just another part of the program. You can drop an audio clip in (ie: vocals), process it with any of the FX plugins FL has to offer, slice it, edit it, stretch it, quantize it, and any other number of things.

Thirdly, a lot of the plugins that FL comes with are HIGHLY useful. Again, you just have to know what you're doing. If you use them as if they're self-contained synthesis suites, then yeah, they're going to sound pretty lame.

You know what? Fuck it. I don't need to defend the program. If you don't want to use it, don't use it. But please, when someone asks for suggestions about what to use, don't suggest a bunch of things and then tell them why all but one of them suck. Let them try things out on their own.

I've been using FL for nearly SIX YEARS now, and I wouldn't replace it with anything. That's not to say I haven't tried other applications. I have. I've tried Reason, Cubase, Sonar, Project 5, Ableton, Buzz Tracker, ACID Pro, and probably some others I'm not even thinking of. Everything else I've ever used has made me feel restricted to the point of killing all inspiration I had when I first launched the program with the intent of writing. FL is the only program to not do that to me. Its features are so endless and wide-scope that I could have no inspiration upon opening it, and I'd come up with SOMETHING useable before closing it.

I don't know, maybe you all think I'm a shitty musician. But when you say things like

But that's just me. I mean, I think that recommending FL to someone is pretty much a death sentance when it comes to quality music. Unless you're Zircon, and there's only one of him.

it remarkably demeans everything I do. And in saying that, you're also saying that people like, oh, I dunno, AE (http://www.myspace.com/wavetheory), is a poor musician, when FL Studio is also his weapon of choice. And he's not the only one. There are a LOT of people who can make pretty fucking amazing music with it. You just need to know how to use it.

Anyway, I'm done. Made whatever point I felt I needed to make. Maybe the only point was to vent some aggravation.

The only thing I can say about people who talk poorly of FL Studio is that they don't know how to use it.

Thats a rather bold statement, considering I've used FLStudio for almost 3 years and was my sequencer of choice until a couple of days ago.

Simultaneously, I can't suggest it for people new to computer music creation because it may SEEM easy to use, but that doesn't mean it's easy to use properly.

So very true...

First of all, automation is not just tacked on. It's fully integrated into every single part of the program. This is apparent when you consider the following:

a) You can automate 99% of the controls in the program.

B) You can create automation inside of individual patterns to trigger and retrigger as frequently as you desire.

c) Automations can be created using either the graph-based Event Editor or by creating spline-based Automation Clips, which can run either the entire length of the song or can be four measures long and be dropped in at any point.

d) The program contains a number of "internal controllers" which allow you to do things like automate a large number of parameters simultaneously by only creating automation for one knob.

Automation has been as much a part of FL as the fuckin' STEP SEQUENCER has for quite a long time.

I meant automation as in AUTOMATION, not as in the edit events thing. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the edit events thing because it hates automating things in VSTi's that I use that aren't included with FL but it gets the job done.

Secondly, audio integration may not be the most intuitive, but they're constantly improving on it. The latest improvement incorporates the Edison audio editor, which is QUITE in-depth, considering it's just another part of the program. You can drop an audio clip in (ie: vocals), process it with any of the FX plugins FL has to offer, slice it, edit it, stretch it, quantize it, and any other number of things.

Great to know they're improving it, but its still a problem and its not quite in depth as some other programs.

Thirdly, a lot of the plugins that FL comes with are HIGHLY useful. Again, you just have to know what you're doing. If you use them as if they're self-contained synthesis suites, then yeah, they're going to sound pretty lame.

Useful? Yes. Quality? Ehh, not too sure on that one. The only included plugins I used were the EQUO, Reverb 2, Delay Bank, and every once in a while the multiband compressor. None of them are really anything special or amazing and most of them have better, free alternatives. Don't give me that "then you must not know how to use 'em right" crap because they just aren't anything special, you have to admit that if you had to pick between Logic's plug-ins and FL's you'd go straight for Logic's. Fl's work fine and I'm sure you can get some wicked sounds out of them (hell, I have) but in the end they're sub-par and other plug-ins will give you better sounding results.

You know what? Fuck it. I don't need to defend the program. If you don't want to use it, don't use it. But please, when someone asks for suggestions about what to use, don't suggest a bunch of things and then tell them why all but one of them suck. Let them try things out on their own.

Thats why I listed multiple sequencers, so they could try 'em out and see which one they like. The only reason why I expressed my peeves with FLStudio is because with none of the other sequencers is he going to get a whole bunch of "OMG [sequencer] is the shit, get it now!". I rarely see Logic, Cubase, or Sonar discussed he, even less Nuendo, Pro Tools, or Tracktion, and all of these topics usually end up being a huge FLStudio praise topic annyways so I was just letting 'em know that FLStudio isn't the end-all sequencer and that he should check some others out before getting one.

I've been using FL for nearly SIX YEARS now, and I wouldn't replace it with anything. That's not to say I haven't tried other applications. I have. I've tried Reason, Cubase, Sonar, Project 5, Ableton, Buzz Tracker, ACID Pro, and probably some others I'm not even thinking of. Everything else I've ever used has made me feel restricted to the point of killing all inspiration I had when I first launched the program with the intent of writing. FL is the only program to not do that to me. Its features are so endless and wide-scope that I could have no inspiration upon opening it, and I'd come up with SOMETHING useable before closing it.

Well, good for you, FLStudio is your sequencer of choice, I'm glad you've found something that you like and you're used to, but not everyone is going to fall in love with FLStudio like you did. To be honest, I find FLStudio restricted me a lot of ways in expressing my ideas and most of the time I'll get something great sounding in Reason, then I'll Re-wire it into Sonar to expand upon it. Everyone has different methods of how they work and its all about finding your niche.

I don't know, maybe you all think I'm a shitty musician. But when you say things like

it remarkably demeans everything I do. And in saying that, you're also saying that people like, oh, I dunno, AE (http://www.myspace.com/wavetheory), is a poor musician, when FL Studio is also his weapon of choice. And he's not the only one. There are a LOT of people who can make pretty fucking amazing music with it. You just need to know how to use it.

Its not about knowing how to use it, its about FLStudio working with your creative needs. For some, its layout and workflow may inspire creativity, for others, it may hamper it. As for FLStudio being used professionally, one of the top Drum and Bass producers (Concord Dawn) uses FLStudio and some of their stuff is the most amazing stuff I've heard. In the end it comes down to what works best for you because its all about who uses it rather than what they use.

Anyway, I'm done. Made whatever point I felt I needed to make. Maybe the only point was to vent some aggravation.

Hey man, I don't mean to demean what you do, but if you see it that way, I don't really care because nobody even mentioned you specifically in this thread. FL will always be a poor way to create music. I don't care about wavetheory at all, no offense to whoever AE is. What's true to me will remain true until I prove myself wrong through experiance. I try versions of FL once in a while, and they just don't do it for me.

If you're happy with what you use, that's great, but getting so overly defensive over software is a sign that you yourself have issues with it that you'd like to imagine don't exist. I mean honestly, getting upset because someone trashtalks the software you use? Nobody even brought your music into this, you're creating that argument all on your own. FL sucks, plain and simple. The PS2 sucks, but developers still manage to create good games for it.

My music is my music, not Cubase music. If you can't dissasociate your music from the means of creating it, then you need to like, stop that o_O

But like I told you earlier, I realise that FL is expanding itself, and in time it may even be where Cubase and ProTools and Sonar all are now, but everything is moving forward, so it looks like FL will never be something I can find useful to me.

Oh, and Rellik, you must not have that much experiance with real guitar amplifiers. When I hear those free plugins that ever non or bad guitarist raves about, they sound like a voice talk program trying to emulate real speech. Non guitarists don't realise that an amplifier is an insturment just like a guitar or anything else. They have tonal responses and dynamic characteristics that are very hard to capture in emulated form. Guitar Rig is the ONLY software guitar modeling that comes close to faithfully reproducing how real amps work and feel. I mean, you can use an amp simulator to add distortion to a synth or something along those lines, but it's core functionality is what it should be based on. It's like me saying that my PS2 doesn't suck becuase it makes a great doorstop.