Compatibility (Microsoft Edge) "Windows 10"

JourneyJay

As of current: "July 29th, 2015"

OC​​remix uses the contextual menu of any typical web browser to download audio, instead of the "click to open download dialog" option seen for some download types across the web.

Microsoft Edge, the new web browser for Windows 10, has removed the save as and save target as options from its menu, leaving the second option as the only available avenue to downloading the media without some third party software. (To my knowledge)...

I did send them feedback, and I'm sure they'll fix it or force the download dialog for direct links such as seen on OCremix. I'm sending feedback here as well, should the administration take the proactive approach and modify the site and beat Microsoft to the punch.

I really don't want to download another browser. ​

Why don't you want another browser? I've been using Firefox for almost 10 years, and I've yet to switch back to any (pre-10) Windows-native browser because of website-rendering capabilities, internet security, etc. I find that the difference between browsers is mainly the under-the-hood efficiency, features, and looks, honestly. It's not going to hurt you to switch to (or even add) a better browser (Firefox, Chrome, ...), especially if you don't like what you're using. It's straightforward to just uninstall a browser after you've tried it.

Note to His Infinite Machine: Edge != IE. If JourneyJay does not feel comfortable learning a new browser (which is what essentially every new user of Win10 is doing when they open Edge), then don't yell at him for it. Microsoft built a browser from the ground-up to replace the horribly flawed IE. There's no reason to compare the two, and unless you've also tested out Edge then why diss it?

That being said, Chrome and Firefox are the two most popular browsers among PC users. While Microsoft Edge has outpaced Chrome (as well as the cumbersome IE) in several benchmarks, it's still a new browser and will, of course, have kinks (as well as a difficult time enticing power users away from Chrome/Firefox). Let's not kick it to the curb just yet, though.

As of current: "July 29th, 2015"

OC​​remix uses the contextual menu of any typical web browser to download audio, instead of the "click to open download dialog" option seen for some download types across the web.

Microsoft Edge, the new web browser for Windows 10, has removed the save as and save target as options from its menu, leaving the second option as the only available avenue to downloading the media without some third party software. (To my knowledge)...

I did send them feedback, and I'm sure they'll fix it or force the download dialog for direct links such as seen on OCremix. I'm sending feedback here as well, should the administration take the proactive approach and modify the site and beat Microsoft to the punch.

I really don't want to download another browser. ​

So, if I understand you correctly, you do not like how/if Edge is opening the audio files on OCR directly in the browser, rather than automatically launching a "save as..." dialog?  Personally, that's a favorite for me when I'm using Chrome.  As I have yet to get my upgrade for Win10 (It's reserved though, so I'll get it someday), I haven't given Edge a test run yet and don't know what the right-click menu looks like for links. I think it's odd how you say there isn't a save-as option. Weird.

I'm sorry, I'm just not used to the concept of Microsoft potentially doing something right for once.

I found the last fresh install of IE completely acceptable, offering insignificant negatives vs. the leading competitor. Aside from that fact, I am a power user for chrome. I've been using chrome since its first beta, before they added all of the features that bloated it to the same extent as Firefox. In my opinion, all of the browsers are now too complicated to compete with my personal standards.

(Not complicated to understand, complex in nature).

Note to His Infinite Machine: Edge != IE. If JourneyJay does not feel comfortable learning a new browser (which is what essentially every new user of Win10 is doing when they open Edge), then don't yell at him for it. Microsoft built a browser from the ground-up to replace the horribly flawed IE. There's no reason to compare the two, and unless you've also tested out Edge then why diss it?

That being said, Chrome and Firefox are the two most popular browsers among PC users. While Microsoft Edge has outpaced Chrome (as well as the cumbersome IE) in several benchmarks, it's still a new browser and will, of course, have kinks (as well as a difficult time enticing power users away from Chrome/Firefox). Let's not kick it to the curb just yet, though.

So, if I understand you correctly, you do not like how/if Edge is opening the audio files on OCR directly in the browser, rather than automatically launching a "save as..." dialog?  Personally, that's a favorite for me when I'm using Chrome.  As I have yet to get my upgrade for Win10 (It's reserved though, so I'll get it someday), I haven't given Edge a test run yet and don't know what the right-click menu looks like for links. I think it's odd how you say there isn't a save-as option. Weird.

If you left click you will get the playback page similar to chrome, which is great. The problem, no right click save as. It seems obvious that they will add it soon, but the site could just as easily rewrite the page to initiate the download dialog box for its direct downloads. (I think)...

This means, I can listen, but I can't download mp3's through any direct links...which are the only link types available on OCremix.

1. I always run a minimal setup when I fresh install as long as possible.

1A. Simple to understand, and impossible to avoid it seems...the more data you have, the more windows works, (Slaves Away)...

...the slower you get.

Let's not get into the optimization blah blah blah's.

The issue still applies and can only be mitigated...not eliminated. (Without reducing my standards)

I will once again acquire Chrome if Edge fails to meet my standards for web browsing. So far, it's superb and provides a suspended disbelief of superiority over Chrome simply due to its default design. Everything about it screams, "I'm ahead of the curve".

The aesthetics have me sold, and the save flop is the only known issue for me so far. Enough to justify chrome?

No.

If you left-click the link and the MP3 opens in the browser to play, press CTRL+S.

See if that allows you to save the file.

I'm sorry, I'm just not used to the concept of Microsoft potentially doing something right for once.

That's immaterial to the discussion here. He's specifically talking about Edge, so unless you have specific points about Edge as a browser that can help him, please refrain from browser evangelism.

As a website, OC ReMix will always attempt to support most major browsers; this includes Microsoft's browser du jour. If Edge presents usability issues with OC ReMix, we certainly need to know about them so that we can evaluate whether or not to provide a fix or workaround. Responding with what amounts to "ms browsers are shit use a better browser" isn't useful or helpful. There are plenty of people out there that have issues with Firefox and Chrome too, and we wouldn't want them doing the same thing.

We can attempt to force download by specifying MIME type for MP3 as application/other, I believe... however, this does seem like an oversight in Edge that I have to think WILL be fixed, given the fundamental nature of the action in question.

I need to get a Win 10 test machine together, clearly :)

Highly likely.

All windows 7 and 8.1 PCs will be offered a free upgrade...if you have one.