OCR03219 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 'Sailing on Lava'

Chimpazilla

Hello guys, Sir_NutS here with another sub.

This is a remix of Marble Zone (Genesis) from Sonic the Hedgehog of course.

For this one I went out of my comfort zone to create some Glitch funk.  This song has many genres and influences woven into it.  It's Funk first, of course, but has a bit of a Disco flair as well.  Of course, being a Glitch Hop song, it has that swing beat and snappy snare the genre is known for when it reaches the drop.  Speaking of the drop, had tons of fun with this one.  Most sounds are of my own making as always, but there are some vocals samples there, as well as sonic's own voice.

For the glitchy funk approach I opened a separate project where I could construct several different funky loops with brasses and guitars and the like.  Once I had those built up I bounced them to .rex and imported them back into this project to be mangled and cut into the catchy riffs that drive the song.  Pretty fun stuff.

As far as arrangement goes I took many liberties with the original, but every section of the song has something recognizable there.  This one goes to my main man Joel, master of all jives, and all things sonic as well.  Thanks for teaching me to always keep it funky.

Cool, funky mix with a bit of a Latin flair!  I love the brass and guitar work.  The low end (kick and bass both) feels a little heavy and out of control, bordering on boomy, it's definitely taking up a lot of frequency space.  When the glitch hop drops at 1:11, the snare is too loud and just a bit on the mid-heavy, boxy side, it obscures a lot of the wonderful details.  Transition at 1:47 is very abrupt.  The kick is exposed during the transitions and breakdown and I think the kick is too heavy in the lows.  

The structure of this track is basically ABABA, where the As are nearly the same (with the exception of some variance in the writing near the end of the second iteration, and the third iteration turns into an outro) and the Bs are super similar too (with the exception of more ear candy and sound bites added in the second iteration).  The two transitions between both A and B sections are the same.  The breakdown at 1:47 is the most unique with some noodling going on.  I love the glitch sections, clearly a lot of time and effort went into them.  The track does end up sounding repetitive with this structure, though.  I'm going to see how others vote on this.

edit 8/28/15:  Listening again.  I still find this structure repetitive, but the ideas are creative and very well executed and it's a fun listen.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty liberal in some spots. Here's my source usage timestamps to get it out of the way. I needed at least 126 seconds of source usage for the VGM to be dominant in the arrangement:

36.5-54.5, 1:11.75-1:35.75, 1:38-1:44.75, 1:49-1:51.5, 2:04-2:20.5, 2:38.5-2:56.5, 3:15.5-3:20.75, 3:22-3:37.75, 3:40-3:46.5, 3:48.75-4:10.5 = 135 seconds or 53.14% overt source usage

I didn't have any problem with the arrangement structure. There was some repetition of the broad ideas, but I heard minor variations of the verses through grace notes, SFX usage, and stuff like that. Also, the overall arrangement was so transformative that it could withstand some repetition, so I wasn't close to saying there was any reason to hold the arrangement back on any level.

Great energy and nice, creative flow here from Mike!

YES

Nice style change from the original! Really adds a nice flair here, and I like your overall approach to the arrangement. A couple things I noticed in the intro are that the brass crescendos could be a little louder when there is less going on in the mix, as they sound like they're holding back for no reason, and that particular sound clip is used a lot throughout the mix.

That's a bit minor overall, but my bigger issue comes with some sections feeling really cluttered at times, like when the melody first comes in. There's so much going on I don't really know what to focus on. I think some adjustments to the balance on those sections might help, or maybe dropping some parts to clear up a little more space. After a second listen I felt it wasn't quite as bad as my first impression, though I do feel that you should keep that in mind for future mixes. :)

I'll also throw out there that I do agree with Kris that the transition at 1:47 is a little wonky, but it's a pretty brief thing that I'm willing to look past.

I'm good with giving this a pass, though I'd say it's a bit tight overall. Good luck with Tver rest of the vote!

Yes (borderline)

funky. 

glitched out to the max, i think there are points in this where the arrangement is brilliant and balanced and others where it gets unnecessarily cluttered. it isn't even so much the arrangement as it is the orchestration where you have instruments competing for the same little bit of real estate in the sound field; in short, cluttered. fortunately your glitch drops more than make up for the sometimes clunky disco funk sections. 

all in all, it's a strong effort from a seasoned vet and i hear plenty of source. i see no reason to NO it soooo...

YES