OCR03296 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'La Gran Fuente de Salsa' *RESUB*

Chimpazilla

previous decision

Your ReMixer name: MrKyle
Your real name: Kyle Raub
Your email address: 
Your website: http://eiravaein.com
Your userid: 22266

Name of game arranged: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Name of arrangement: "La Gran Fuente De Salsa"
Song Link: 

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Great Fairy's Fountain
Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site): All there
Link to the original soundtrack: already on site

Mix Comments: 

This slightly renamed resub (was "La Gran Manantial De Salsa") has had some notable overhauling done to it since the first submission, though the basic arrangement is still intact.  Electric guitar work was removed and an acoustic performance was added.  Percussion, piano, and synths were all reworked.  A new intro and outro have been added, and finally, the sound bytes were removed.  I put the mix through the workshop several times and made further tweaks per discussions there.  Source coverage starts in the intro and eventually fills out around 75%, so things are solid on that front as well.

The whole piece has taken on a salsa/tango/Latin jazz feel that I am really enjoying.  I am looking at this and future submissions to OCR as opportunities to challenge myself with new concepts that I personally haven't attempted before or writing/arranging ideas that can be more difficult to execute.  Being the prior in this case, this genre is (was?) honestly outside of my comfort zone, but I have enjoyed creating the track immensely and have taken on a whole new appreciation for a flavor of tunage that I was aware of, but wasn't aware of, ya know?

I hope the listening goes playfully well.

Cheers,

Kyle (MrKyle) Raub

I remember this one, and this version is significantly different from the first submission.  I like this one much better.  It's a great concept, and it gels much better in this iteration.  And I hear more fairy fountain.  

Intro goes on too long for my taste.  The piano tone works for me, and the playing is realistic enough.  I like the acoustic guitar a lot.  Shaker is too loud and dry.  I love the other drumming, the djembe, timbale, etc.

The bass is boomy and out of control, needs to be eq'd down in the mid-lows.  Also, the bass has that one boomy note problem I often mention (usually it is an F or G, and it is too loud at 100Hz, a narrow-ish eq notch at 100Hz will fix this, and I like to follow this correction with some compression)  Listen to the track with an instance of SPAN open, you'll see how the bass spikes at 100Hz when the notes get loud.

My other issue with this track is that I hear a LOT of dissonance, lots of notes out of the key signature.  Is this a stylistic choice or just error, I'm not sure.  Is this a thing in salsa to which I am unhip?

This is much closer for me to a pass than the last version, but I still hear issues.  Other Js? 

edit 9/16/15:  My little grudges aside, this is quite a creative take on this source.  I'm cool with passing it.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

I think it sounds really clean. I can hear what Kris is saying about the dissonance but there's nothing egregious; I'd just chalk it up to some interesting harmonic choices. They keep me guessing but never make me cringe. This is one of those pieces that makes you sit up and pay attention.

Really like everything going on here. Sounds like everything came together really well. Very creative.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I'm down with this, it's a really fun mix that definitely pulls the source into a new and different style. On the dissonance I agree with Shariq that nothing feels like it's a sore thumb here, and if anything only adds to the flava. I do agree with Kris that the intro is a little long, I think a reference to the source would make it tie in better, but that is a small nitpick.

Yes

I have to be honest, I actually didn't pick up on how you adapted the source usage til about a minute in, but it put a smile on my face when things finally clicked! Very subtle and clever adaptation throughout, your arrangement feels fluid and constantly evolving... nothing ever repeats wholesale and you consistently introduce new ideas and flavors throughout. This truly feels like a live jam session despite the fact that much of it was sequenced, which is a rare feat to achieve when it's so easy to fall back on loops and copy/pasted writing.

There's some production nitpicks and moments of diminished realism but I don't really even feel the need to tread back over them - this is working for me on the whole and I know the masses are going to dig this :-)

YES