OCR01499 - Tetris (GB) "Thirty-Plus Mix"

djpretzel

The synth layouts remind me of DaRude's song Sandstorm, just more unique with humanized arps.

Good job.

8/10 8)

...scary. I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or not...lol

Considering it's one of the most well known pieces of techno out there, I'd take that as a compliment.

It's also one of the most overrated and overplayed pieces of techno out there.

This remix is incredible! It's deliciously fast-paced, bordering on the hectic, and most importantly, it's the B theme instead of the eternal A theme everybody and their grandmother has been mixing to some sort of entropic death. It's the sort of mix that makes me wish I knew a lot of technical musical expressions to more specifically dissect the various glories contained within, but I don't. So for the time being, "tremendously awesome" will have to suffice.

More, Mr. Grover, more of this!

• 6 months later...

I have this habit. If I'm going to do an arrangement of a theme, I see what's already been done with it, to make sure I don't cover old ground. And if it's been covered, then I have to make sure I cover it better. Or more thoroughly. Or with astroturf.

Anyway, I may or may not be working on an arrangement of this same theme, so I came to the OCR archives to see what existed, so as to not duplicate any efforts. So I found this mix and the previously mentioned Techtris TypeZ mix covering the Type B music. Now see, I never had a gameboy (Sure, I played my friends' Gameboys from time to time, but I didn't play Tetris. I mean, what was the point? I had Tetris at home on the NES. And that was bigger. And in color. Sure the gameboy was portable, but I was in 3rd grade when this came out, so if I wasn't at home, I was probably at school, where Gameboys and walkmans were confiscated) but the Tetris that I had had 3 themes you could choose from. Type A was "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies" by Tchaikovsky, Type B was the music (basically) remixed here, and Type C was this ethereal atmospheric chill tune with a weird time signature. The Korobeiniki theme that's USually associated with Tetris wasn't even on the NES version I had. In any case, I always prefered this theme, though I don't know that I could explain why. Maybe because the Nutcracker Suite sounds much better orchestrated, I don't know.

However, this remix. Yes. The topic of this post. It is VERY well produced, albeit a bit short and abrupt. I know, 4 minutes is longer than most songs played on the radio, but with the build up time (foreplay), we don't reach the melody (coitus) until nearly halfway through. Then the climax (orgasm) comes near the very end, and leaves no room for the regression (cuddling) that would usually complement the rest of the work.

In addition, I have the same qualm that a previous reviewer had:

That's a professional quality remix in my book. You've set a very high standard that all OCremix should strive for.

But where did you get the melody from? I noticed in this mix and MangaX's "Tetris Techtris TypeZ OC ReMix" that the B theme starts its descent from the top note two beats too early. Compare these 2 midis:

Meticulously transcribed: http://hundredyearswar.googlepages.com/TetrisB.mid

VGMusic's : http://hundredyearswar.googlepages.com/VGmusic_Tetris2.mid

If you pull out your GameBoy, I think you'll find the first midi to be more accurate. Unfortunately, this remix, as well as MangaX's (http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00258/), uses the second, erroneous transcription. It's a shame that such an incredible remix doesn't truly represent the original.

I think the obvious answer to the question of why this has occurred is because both remixers used the faultily transcribed midi file. HERE is what the original "B" theme sound like. It's not quite the same as this arrangement. Actually, they're considerably different. Anyway, the remix as a standalone song, is a rather enjoyable piece of trance/dance/etc music, but the shortcomings are the abruptness and the lack of accuracy with the melody. It's like hearing that your favorite book is being made into a movie, only to watch the movie and discover that it doesn't quite interpret the book properly. You watch the movie thinking "No, that's not right, that character dies in the book." I listen to the song, and it gets to the melody and my brain starts humming along with it, except my brain knows the melody, and I find that the notes aren't matching. It's a bit like hitting pot holes in the road on an otherwise nice drive. Bittersweet, really. Anyway, yes. Great quality, just work on the other stuff. That is all.

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
It's also one of the most overrated and overplayed pieces of techno out there.

+1.

This is better. Even if it doesn't accurately get the source, it IS a remix, and not a cover... Though, yeah, Disco Dan's analogy to a movie is pretty accurate, though I don't see it as that big of a deal for me..

I just wish I could find more of his work :/

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01499 - Tetris (GB) "Thirty-Plus Mix"
  • 3 years later...

Really interesting to hear a techno-ish piece with the intro build up of a trance song, but as long as it’s not boring, I can handle a longer intro and this certainly wasn’t boring to me. Enjoyed the beat and the high-paced energy throughout the song. Kinda reminded me of a lot of electronic music I heard in the early 2000’s, so it feels right at home in my tastes.