Super Mario Maker

Kat

http://supermariomaker.nintendo.com/#/home

Scheduled for release on September 11th. I've always been a fan of games that let you get really creative. This started with the simpler ones like The Incredible Machine(essentially the first version of the more modern Contraption Maker), and other side-scrolling creators like Blast Works for the Wii.
So this one really got my attention. The $60 price tag is a tad bit more than I'd like, but not a huge factor for me. Anyone else really interested in this?

KP9000 has created a repository of courses

Click Here to view the repository
OR
SMMbutton.png

I've compiled all courses posted in this topic below. Hopefully we can get these all submitted to the above repository or it might start to get cluttered!

(Hylian Lemon) Goomba Falls: D60C-0000-0019-D75A
(atmuh) Unnamed: 407E-0000-0024-6309
(atmuh) get to chipotle before the rush:  E1EF-0000-003B-1AFE
(FenixDown) Fenix 1-1: 44FD-0000-001A-3EA1
(FenixDown) Fenix 1-2: F1D1-0000-0027-81B3
(Mirby) Ghost Dodgers: A962-0000-001A-FBEF
(Mirby) Icy Skies!: 6EF7-0000-001E-C473
(Mirby) The Flying Dutchman: 1202-0000-0027-2F1D
(Mirby) Plains of Passage (Shovel Knight): 1CC5-0000-0026-195D
(Mirby) Mushroom House (Super Mario Land 2): 1FDF-0000-0029-23A6
(Mirby) Air Man Stage (Mega Man 2) Remix: 314F-0000-0034-3B7B
(Mirby) To Hades and Back: EEC4-0000-0035-7208
(Mirby) Assault on Mount Olympus: 7989-0000-0039-10F1
(Mirby) Anthem (Azure Striker Gunvolt): A7E6-0000-003A-24FE
(Mirby) Follow That Shell!: 70A1-0000-003E-36F3

(Kat) 1-1: Koopa Krusade: 4951-0000-0048-1B52
(Kat) Fear Factory: 0DEE-0000-0043-BCEB
(Kat) Storming The Gates: 7865-0000-003D-08C8
(Kat) Mario's Mission: C64E-0000-0033-D963
(jnWake) Koopa Shells: 551C-0000-0032-58EF
(jnWake) Goomba Jumps: D075-0000-0034-B953
(jnWake) Bullets in Koopatlantis: 6FB6-0000-003A-ED9A
(jnWake) Under The Thwomp: 7D5F-0000-003F-B84F
(jnWake) Mystery House Bounce: 15EA-0000-0048-B42C .
(Bleck) Weighted Companion Shell - 845D-0000-003B-4D70
(purplecowadoom) Stinging in the Rain: 7783-0000-0037-D8B6
(purplecowadoom) The Bounce Vault: 8BE4-0000-0038-F252
(purplecowadoom) "It'll give you wings",they said: CAD0-0000-003A-33C0
(purplecowadoom) Can't handle Bill say, "What?": 4E18-0000-0048-69B4
(purplecowadoom) Pyromania Pizza Palace: 79E3-0000-003E-378E
(purplecowadoom) Pin the Tail on the Cheetah: 1706-0000-003F-F632
(purplecowadoom) "Friendly" Mario vs the Sky Guys: 1C58-0000-0043-B19E
(purplecowadoom) Mario, Woodchipper Inspector: 1017-0000-0047-E992
(purplecowadoom) Sink or Fly, Stop and Die: BD8C-0000-0048-E3E6
(purplecowadoom) Ghosts of the Past: E923-0000-004B-4821

I'm a little leery of user-created content; I got Little Big Planet and wasn't terribly impressed by any of the top-rated levels I downloaded.  But the core mechanics of the SMB games are much more solid and interesting, so maybe.  Less artsy than LBP, more functional.

I imagine the folks here will want to play with the music blocks, to add in their own soundtracks.

I'm a little leery of user-created content; I got Little Big Planet and wasn't terribly impressed by any of the top-rated levels I downloaded.  But the core mechanics of the SMB games are much more solid and interesting, so maybe.  Less artsy than LBP, more functional.

I imagine the folks here will want to play with the music blocks, to add in their own soundtracks.

Not gonna lie - I'm fully expecting to be rickrolled within the first week of release(if not sooner). I'm sure we'll also see lots of high difficulty levels as well.

Honestly, Blast Works was the last game I played that depended heavily on user-created content and it was pretty entertaining. I never really got into Little Big Planet though, so I wouldn't know about that.

Mario fan levels have been around for a long time -- there are at least two projects I know of where I feel the quality is just as good as the original games (see: Super Demo World: The Legend Continues and Newer Super Mario Bros).

This mostly just feels like a retail version of Lunar Magic, honestly.  That being said, I'm in for it!  Looking forward to the musical blocks.

Indeed there are some GREAT Mario hacks, and I've yet to look into the ones BardicKnowledge posted above but I will eventually. The accessibility of SMM though, that's one of the greatest things about it. I used to come up with level designs on napkins as a kid, yo. I would feel like I was in heaven if this came out back then. Kids are gonna get a kick out of this. Get em designing levels young, and down the line we'll get genius platformer devs who discovered their talent by playing Super Mario Maker when they were like 6. Yes, this is a win win.

This game looks like the greatest game of all time. Hyperbole but I'm really excited at how this game looks to let you bend rules to a ridiculous extent. The potential for hilariously challenging stages is on another level (get it? level?).

I want a Wii U

Mario fan levels have been around for a long time -- there are at least two projects I know of where I feel the quality is just as good as the original games (see: Super Demo World: The Legend Continues and Newer Super Mario Bros).

And then there's The Original Mario Crossover

Anyway, even though you can change the look and soundscape of the levels (Super Mario Bros, Super Mario World, Super Mario 3 etc), the physics don't change at all unlike the original games having Mario's long jumping slowly improving upon with each game. You'll notice this if one has played the original titles. Nevertheless, I'm really wanting to give this a long-play for sure just to edit levels and drive my wife and brother-in-law crazy as they try to play through my difficult level designing.

We recently found out that course elements get gradually unlocked on a day-by-day basis; you just need to play for five minutes to unlock the next set of blocks/enemies/whatever, but you won't get it until the next day. The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. It's like "hey, you can get crazy later if you want, but try making something cool with a small selection of elements first." It'll get people familiar with the process of designing a creative level out of a limited set of tools, so they can't rely on jumbled nonsense levels right away.

I'm already working on sketching out a level idea using the elements available on day 1. Pretty fun. I definitely have ideas that involve more complicated elements, but I can save those ideas for later. If anything, the unlock process will help me sort out which ideas to work on first.

Anyway, even though you can change the look and soundscape of the levels (Super Mario Bros, Super Mario World, Super Mario 3 etc), the physics don't change at all unlike the original games having Mario's long jumping slowly improving upon with each game. You'll notice this if one has played the original titles.

I've heard the physics feel reasonably accurate to each game style, but I'm not sure there have been any scientific comparisons. At the very least, we know that game-specific mechanics like spin jumping and butt stomping don't cross into older styles.

We now know that you can skip levels in the 10 and 100 Mario challenges. If you come across an obnoxiously designed level (say, a stage that's unbeatable unless you know exactly where the winged invisible vine block is), you can skip it and do a different level in its place. Very happy about that.

Also, looks like reviewers have been able to bypass the unlock schedule by changing the date on the Wii U. You just need to play for 5 minutes on each "day." That should satisfy people who want everything faster. I might skip a couple days just to get those handy decorative jump-through platforms...exclusively because they'd add some nice aesthetic variety to the background of my first level.

I'm kind of peeved at the date requirement, but I thought about it, and going with the default junk on each available day does give me time to flex my level design muscles and try to slowly teach myself how to make good levels, rather than atrociously hard levels (or just outright bad ones), without overwhelming myself with options.  So I think I'll take it slow and follow the limits.

I'll review this Mad style. Okay, that's the hype, so here's the snipe: if they have a 3-D world design mode, now we can see if Super Mario 64 fans create stages as terrible as Nintendo's! I loved that game, but when someone pointed out to me that the level design was WTF, I couldn't deny it. You can't unsee it.

• 3 weeks later...

i made a level 407E-0000-0024-6309

btw you can unlock all the editing stuff very quickly if you just make a 10x10 (or anything big) square of blocks and copy it a bunch of times. then after you get the delivery just wait 5 minutes in the editor for another delivery to queue and do the same thing. took me like an hour and i wasnt paying attention half the time

I've been having too much fun making stages here.

Ghost Dodgers: A962-0000-001A-FBEF

Icy Skies!: 6EF7-0000-001E-C473

The Flying Dutchman: 1202-0000-0027-2F1D

And here's some recreations I've made.

Plains of Passage (Shovel Knight): 1CC5-0000-0026-195D

Mushroom House (Super Mario Land 2): 1FDF-0000-0029-23A6

Icy Skies was a collaboration between my boyfriend and myself and The Flying Dutchman was all his own creation.

I remade another stage.

Air Man Stage (Mega Man 2) Remix: 314F-0000-0034-3B7B

Also my boyfriend made another stage. It's Greek themed (as in mythology).

To Hades and Back: EEC4-0000-0035-7208

I'm currently working on a counterpart to his stage, titled Assault on Mount Olympus. I should have it finished sometime tomorrow.

I may have to tone mine down. It borders on infuriating levels of Nintendo Hard sometimes, and so far no one has even made it halfway, or found the secret alternate route(which isn't any easier.)

Really though, the trick is patience. It auto-scrolls slowly, but that's just false urgency.

Here it is!

Assault on Mount Olympus: 7989-0000-0039-10F1

There's several secret areas, but they can only be reached once you get near the end of the level. You'll see what I mean.

When I design stages, I try to make them kinda challenging but not infuriatingly so. Kinda like how Nintendo designs their stages. Like, New Super Luigi U, some of those were hard, but still fun. I try to strike that balance while also keeping the stages as aesthetically pleasing as possible.