Super Mario Maker

Kat

Yeah, it's quite frustrating. I'm always happy to find an actually fun stage.

@Kat: Hey, maybe you can start adding in everyone's custom levels to the OP for easy indexing?

Good idea, actually. I'll get to work on indexing these levels.

I'm also finishing up another stage right now. A successor to my last one that is far less frustrating and clustered. Has a few little puzzles I'm happy with.

If you all are having trouble finding fun levels, try looking at the profiles of people who've starred your levels or levels you've starred. You might find some good stuff if you have similar tastes. Of course, that doesn't help with the 100-Mario Challenge.

I may have to tone mine down. It borders on infuriating levels of Nintendo Hard sometimes, and so far no one has even made it halfway, or found the secret alternate route(which isn't any easier.)

Really though, the trick is patience. It auto-scrolls slowly, but that's just false urgency.

If it's "infuriating levels of Nintendo Hard" for the creator, it's often "literally impossible; skipped" for the player who didn't create it. The problem I had in your level was that it was hard to keep track of which type of enemy was coming out of which pipe. There's a lot going on, and you have to be ready to deal with a whole bunch of different possible attack patterns at any moment. The slow autoscroll gives you time to see what's coming up, but in the meantime you've still got enemies dropping above and behind you, which ends up constantly dividing your attention. It's easy to slip up and be in the wrong place at the wrong time while you're focused on dodging something else. A simple mushroom would help mitigate that a lot...or maybe fewer types of enemies, so players have a better idea how to approach things coming out of pipes they haven't already memorized. Or fewer empty pipes, which would make "safe" zones clearer. I'd vote for reduced enemy variation, because that also helps give a level a stronger identity, and the level can stay difficult without being too unpredictable.

Uploaded a new level. I think this one turned out pretty well, and isn't absurdly difficult.

Fear Factory: 0DEE-0000-0043-BCEB

On another note, I'm hoping they do some updates to add...well, a lot of things. I'd love to see a lot of the backgrounds from Super Mario World(winter, desert, etc.) along with a lot of the enemies. What about good ol' Mouser? Nobody throws bombs as good as he does. Or even those...football players, I guess. There are a lot of enemies missing.

It'd also be nice to be able to adjust enemy and object behavior. Things only activate when they're on screen, making it difficult to make floating platforms and such that stay appropriately spaced so the challenge is always as intended, and not sometimes easy and sometimes near impossible. Tracks help, but I don't always want to use tracks.

On another note, I'm hoping they do some updates to add...well, a lot of things. I'd love to see a lot of the backgrounds from Super Mario World(winter, desert, etc.) along with a lot of the enemies. What about good ol' Mouser? Nobody throws bombs as good as he does. Or even those...football players, I guess. There are a lot of enemies missing.

Mouser's a Doki Doki Panic (SMB2US) enemy, so they'd have to put in behavior and interactions for him from scratch.  Heck, there aren't even any bombs in a core SMB game, just bob-ombs.  Not that they couldn't, but Charging Chucks would make more sense.  Several members of the Hammer Bros. family are missing, too (Flying, Boomerang, etc.), as are a whole bunch of the SMB3 enemies (mini Goombas, Thwimps, Big Bertha/Boss Bass, The Angry Sun).  And apparently several types of platform behaviors.

Maybe they'll add them in later.  Nearly all the 1st party Wii U games seem to have DLC now, either paid, free, or both.

This is a level that I can safely say that I've spent at least 24 hours on from its initial creation to several revisions and optimizations.The red mushroom platforms indicate the regular path, yellow indicates an alternate path, and green indicates a path intended for use with Yoshi. There is also a platform that leads to a 1-Up Mushroom in a regular question block hidden somewhere in the level. It will take a good bit of puzzle solving and platforming knowledge to reach it.

Few Paths Forbidden

1DDA-0000-0043-8D13

Sounds intriguing, but I'm getting a course not found error with that code.

Just finished another level. I think I've sort of been doing my world is reverse, so I made the first official course this time. I also focused on making it more on the entertaining side and less on the difficult side. Has a couple secrets.

1-1: Koopa Krusade: 4951-0000-0048-1B52

Also going to be playing through a lot of these right now and dropping some feedback here. Also stars.