Super Mario Maker

Kat

I've made some levels. I need stars bad.

Stinging in the Rain: 7783-0000-0037-D8B6

The Bounce Vault:    8BE4-0000-0038-F252

"It'll give you wings",they said: CAD0-0000-003A-33C0

Can't handle Bill say, "What?": 4E18-0000-0048-69B4

Pyromania Pizza Palace: 79E3-0000-003E-378E

Pin the Tail on the Cheetah: 1706-0000-003F-F632

"Friendly" Mario vs the Sky Guys: 1C58-0000-0043-B19E

Mario, Woodchipper Inspector: 1017-0000-0047-E992

Sink or Fly, Stop and Die: BD8C-0000-0048-E3E6

Ghosts of the Past: E923-0000-004B-4821

Most of the levels are expert-level, but not hard enough that you can't beat them with a little practice. You can message me for help.

if you have to message the creator of a level for help it's probably not the best level

Well, maybe. If it's a technique focused level (and not a game level, where it teaches you how to play itself through good design), then messaging for technical advice is often a good idea, else you bang your head against the wall trying to figure out a specific maneuver by yourself. The point is to practice the execution, not to figure out how to execute.

Already posted these on that repository (thanks for making that KP9000) but gonna share them here too.

Vegetable Valley 1 (Kirby's Adventure): A972-0000-0043-5F84

Flying Machine (Shovel Knight): 1B1A-0000-0047-982C

And here's another original stage! With 16 possible routes through it. Choose wisely!

Castle of Choice: 6A3D-0000-004D-DE91

if you have to message the creator of a level for help it's probably not the best level

I think I blocked you WAY~ in the past for harassing me a bunch. Please at least *try* not to be rude the moment I pop my head out to say something.

Anyway, I put a crazy amount of thought into each and every last level I made. You *should* be able to handle those levels. I said people could ask me for hints as a courtesy. That's easy enough to understand.

Well, maybe. If it's a technique focused level (and not a game level, where it teaches you how to play itself through good design), then messaging for technical advice is often a good idea, else you bang your head against the wall trying to figure out a specific maneuver by yourself. The point is to practice the execution, not to figure out how to execute.

Exactly this. And thank you.

Speaking of Super Mario Bros. 2 characters, I would love to have a level editor for that game.  I can't complain though, because I see that the physics were way different for that game and many argue that it isn't even part of "canon".  I feel overall that the game is well worth the value.  Few games have made me smile in the past few years like this one.

Now realistically speaking, I wouldn't mind the addition of slopes.  I always loved sliding in Mario games, just knocking out some goombas and building momentum.  Some different backgrounds would be nice as well.

Nintendo has been really cool about patching their games and adding in new content.  They showed this with Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. Wii U, I don't think new content is out of the question.

I can't complain though, because I see that the physics were way different for that game and many argue that it isn't even part of "canon".

Yeah, the mechanics are pretty far removed--different character movement properties, standing on and picking up enemies and objects, completely different power-up and health mechanics, and a 95% different cast of enemies. Wouldn't work too well as part of Mario Maker. But as far as "canon," now that Miyamoto officially stated that SMB3 was just a stage play, that's kind of moot.

Now realistically speaking, I wouldn't mind the addition of slopes.  I always loved sliding in Mario games, just knocking out some goombas and building momentum.

Agreed, and they're really nice aesthetically, too. Not too hard to implement if they limit it to 45 degree slopes. Similarly, I'd like to see water tiles (as opposed to just whole water maps) and lava tiles, but I can see how those would be challenging to implement. We'll probably get some of the missing enemies first, if we get DLC content added at all.

New stage!

"Duck" Hunt: 22B3-0000-0066-9F4E

Be sure to play it, and don't worry, there's refills hidden before every round. You'll know what I mean I promise!

Nice one.  I nearly died but somehow cleared it my first try, but it wasn't easy.

Here's one of my mine, a short little kuribo shoe stomp-fest that some people seem to like: 

CE05-0000-0062-4FE5.

I made a couple of new levels, but I can't upload them yet without getting rid of some other ones. I did get rid of one to make room for this one though:

Something Deeply Wrong: 9EBA-0000-006A-4B3F

A friend of mine found two of the rare ( and mostly useless) 30th anniversary Mario amiibos and got me one, and after I saw what it does I HAD to run with it.

I got this on Thursday and have been going nuts.  A lot of people create some pretty terrible levels, but there are some gems as well.  100 Mario Expert is especially stupid--people don't generally create challenging levels so much as sadistic guessing games.  Far too many leaps of faith and surprise deathtraps.  If Expert was only maybe 5 levels long, it would be more palatable.  As it was, it took me 40 lives to pass two levels, with a ton of skips when I realized I'd found yet another one that was just learning by repeated death.

One thing I was surprised to find out was that the Music Block has a different timbre for everything that bounces on it!  I haven't see that feature mentioned before, and it's nuts.  The POW block is a kick drum, the Super Mushroom is a square wave (genius!), and Bowser is an overdriven guitar.  There's a list here but it was written by a non-musician; someone who actually knows instruments should probably make a new one.  I'm really surprised that with all the automatic levels out there (seems like about 25% of the Easy 100 Mario levels are automatic), there aren't more musical ones.  OCR, represent!

I set a goal for myself to create one stage with each item delivery, to challenge myself and really learn what each thing can do before moving on.  This had... mixed results.

• Day 1: "Troopas' Towas" (EA45-0000-006B-12F6).  Climb the tower, stomp the giant Koopa Troopa, use the shell to escape, repeat.  For a day 1-only level, I'm pretty pleased with it.  It's aesthetically lacking, and it seems to be harder than I thought, but it works well.  It's not hard at all if you're patient.
  • Day 2: "Drill Down".  I'm not proud of this one--it's far too hard and not tremendously interesting.  It involves getting Lakitu to produce Spiny shells for you to break through layers of blocks, one row at a time.  This will undoubtedly be the first level I overwrite.  I won't even give you the code.
  • Day 3: "William S.M. Cannon, Realtor" (F95A-0000-0072-6F7E).  Should have been "Blaster" but I didn't catch the real item name until later.  The cannon floats overhead, feeding you starmen so you can take a tour of the houses on his list.  Because everything outside is spikes.  Again, easy if you're patient, hard if you try to rush.
  • Day 4: "Wall Jump Palace" (C812-0000-0073-C87F).  An intentionally challenging wall jump level.  No surprises, no cheap deaths, just a test of skill.  The deliveries started unlocking faster than 1/day at this point, since my levels are on the long side.
  • Day 5: "K.K.'s Cloud Convoy" (DE66-0000-0074-A6F7).  Didn't get anything I wanted from this pack, so I just made a level where K.K. Slider uses Lakitu's Cloud to fly between airships.  There's a lengthy section at the end where the challenge is in cloud management, making sure you get a new one before the old one expires.  Even though I didn't have a clear vision of what I wanted here, I'm still pretty happy with it.
  • Day 6a: "Complacency" (0DF2-0000-0077-E60D).  This is me being a troll.  As long as you can take a hint, and remember that the level is indeed trying to kill you, you'll be fine.  This was kind of a cop-out, so I made another day 6 level (mostly).
  • Day 6b: "Wario's Haunted Palace" (C236-0000-0079-0B64).  Wario makes another grab at real estate, based on rumors that this castle is abandoned.  Only Wario isn't all that bright.  Can you help him find the exit?  A fairly standard haunted Bowser's Castle with a surprise ending.  I added sound effects once I unlocked them halfway through making the level, and arrows for hints at the end, but no mechanical elements.

I've unlocked through day 8 but haven't used the day 7 elements yet.  I have tons of ideas at this point, though.  Earning 50 stars to increase the limit seems so far away....

Oh, and does anyone have any tips for that *&^@*%$# fly swatter game?  I thought beating the NWC2015 levels was going to be the big unlock challenge, but no--they're hard enough, but unlocking the Maker Mario costume will be something else altogether.  There's a reason I haven't seen it in a stage yet....

I've seen it in a few stages actually lol

Also new stage.

Time to Decrease Your Slowness!! - 1C89-0000-007E-4962

EDIT: Just unlocked the Builder Mario costume myself. My tips for it are be quick. In the second stage, get rid of the big yellow guys as soon as they appear so they don't spawn a bunch of tiny flies. And on the boss stage, tap the boss as rapidly as possible because he has a good amount of health. I finished that stage with 2 seconds left, so yeah. Also get rid of the bomb flies cause if they blow up they eat a second off your time.

I'm really surprised that with all the automatic levels out there (seems like about 25% of the Easy 100 Mario levels are automatic), there aren't more musical ones.  OCR, represent!

They're out there, and they tend to be pretty popular. Peach from OCR made one, actually: 5435-0000-003A-55B1

100 Mario Expert is especially stupid--people don't generally create challenging levels so much as sadistic guessing games. Far too many leaps of faith and surprise deathtraps. If Expert was only maybe 5 levels long, it would be more palatable. As it was, it took me 40 lives to pass two levels, with a ton of skips when I realized I'd found yet another one that was just learning by repeated death.

Levels get sorted by their completion rates. If a level's first jump is cut short by an invisible block that makes laughing sounds, you can bet it's going to be skipped a lot and end up in expert mode. I've been through expert mode 14 times, and sometimes I'll skip a level before even moving because I can already tell it's going to be one of those. Then I go look at my recently played courses, and surprise--it has 100 plays and 0 stars.

As for blind jumps, I have a level with a bit of a dead end with a 1-up in a box. I expected people to understand that they needed to go back because there was nothing beyond that platform, but there are several red X's where people have jumped blindly to their deaths. The tendency for other levels to have blind jumps has conditioned people to commit suicide in my level. Great.

As for blind jumps, I have a level with a bit of a dead end with a 1-up in a box. I expected people to understand that they needed to go back because there was nothing beyond that platform, but there are several red X's where people have jumped blindly to their deaths. The tendency for other levels to have blind jumps has conditioned people to commit suicide in my level. Great.

It applies to everything, I think. I was watching a streamer play through one of my levels and he outright ignored two doors that led to moderately safe rooms with power ups. In most of the levels before that, most of the doors had led to inescapable death traps. I think it's safe to say that the kanzei-esque levels flooding Expert mode are conditioning people to expect death traps, blind jumps and luck-based challenges in every level.

It applies to everything, I think. I was watching a streamer play through one of my levels and he outright ignored two doors that led to moderately safe rooms with power ups. In most of the levels before that, most of the doors had led to inescapable death traps. I think it's safe to say that the kanzei-esque levels flooding Expert mode are conditioning people to expect death traps, blind jumps and luck-based challenges in every level.

you mean kaizo

and the game does need any more automatic levels, mario doesnt need cutscenes

and the thing is kaizo levels were not bad but the way people try to emulate them is

kaizo levels were for the most part very challenging but fair levels that focused around a concept and got progressively more difficult, which was able to happen because it was a progression of levels not just one

people just skip the progression and put the stupid stuff in their level so the player will have no idea what to expect but in the actual kaizo game because of the progression, would

Oh, and does anyone have any tips for that *&^@*%$# fly swatter game?  I thought beating the NWC2015 levels was going to be the big unlock challenge, but no--they're hard enough, but unlocking the Maker Mario costume will be something else altogether.  There's a reason I haven't seen it in a stage yet....

Level 1:Try to swat everything as soon as it appears so you don't have to deal with a ton of the split off tiny flies.

Level 2: Go for the big bugs as soon as you see one.  Go after the tinier stuff only when big flies aren't visible.

Level 3: If there's a bomb on the screen, hit it immediately.  Otherwise, spend all your time hitting the boss.  Only go after the tiny split flies if there's nothing else currently on the screen.

Level 3's unfortunately really exacting with its timing, but it only took me about 4 tries once I'd stumbled on the advice above.

-----

I have my own question for folks, while I'm posting.  Does anyone know how to make the alternate stage music last the whole stage?  Whenever I'm playing around in Edit mode, and I put down a mushroom or Bowser music icon in mid-air on the start point to immediately begin the alt music, said music only lasts until I get about a screen-length away from where it was triggered, and then it goes back to the default music for the stage.  That'skind of ridiculous, and I've seen several online stages using that SMB1 alt music via the mushroom where the song lasts the whole stage, so I know it's possible, but I don't know how to do it myself.

I have my own question for folks, while I'm posting.  Does anyone know how to make the alternate stage music last the whole stage?  Whenever I'm playing around in Edit mode, and I put down a mushroom or Bowser music icon in mid-air on the start point to immediately begin the alt music, said music only lasts until I get about a screen-length away from where it was triggered, and then it goes back to the default music for the stage.  That'skind of ridiculous, and I've seen several online stages using that SMB1 alt music via the mushroom where the song lasts the whole stage, so I know it's possible, but I don't know how to do it myself.

drag the sound effect onto mario