Super Mario Maker

Kat

Level 1:Try to swat everything as soon as it appears so you don't have to deal with a ton of the split off tiny flies.

Level 2: Go for the big bugs as soon as you see one.  Go after the tinier stuff only when big flies aren't visible.

Level 3: If there's a bomb on the screen, hit it immediately.  Otherwise, spend all your time hitting the boss.  Only go after the tiny split flies if there's nothing else currently on the screen.

Level 3's unfortunately really exacting with its timing, but it only took me about 4 tries once I'd stumbled on the advice above.

This is exactly what I've been doing, but I'm just not terribly accurate or fast. I've tried a dozen times at least, and I don't always even get the boss to turn red. When I do, it's always during the last section. If there's no better trick to it than that, then this will probably just sit there as an empty spot on my list.

I have my own question for folks, while I'm posting.  Does anyone know how to make the alternate stage music last the whole stage?  Whenever I'm playing around in Edit mode, and I put down a mushroom or Bowser music icon in mid-air on the start point to immediately begin the alt music, said music only lasts until I get about a screen-length away from where it was triggered, and then it goes back to the default music for the stage.  That'skind of ridiculous, and I've seen several online stages using that SMB1 alt music via the mushroom where the song lasts the whole stage, so I know it's possible, but I don't know how to do it myself.

You can also just place a whole mess of them on the ground, so the player keeps touching them. Doesn't work well for a long level, but does work for smaller rooms (bonus rooms and boss fights).

Grab a Muncher enemy and shake repeatedly. That's how I got it to trigger. Those are the ones that are nigh-invincible, and are the first item on row 5 of the menu by default.

EDIT: New stages!

Artemis's All-Out Assault: E924-0000-0080-8B6F

Premise: The Greek Goddess Artemis is pissed and is firing at Mario with all she has. Can you survive her gauntlet of artillery and make it to the end?

Choose Your Destiny: 1CF5-0000-0080-BCF4

Premise: 8 rooms, at the end of each is the end of the level. You can only choose one per run, so choose your destiny wisely. And lookout for great treasures lurking around the end of the stage!

Training with Doc Loumbas: B81D-0000-0083-0369

Premise: Doc Louis is out sick, so it's up to his Goomba friends to train Little Mac's endurance. Problem is, they're not that fast...

Rollin' 20s (Don't Press Things): 6ABA-0000-0084-979D

Premise: My first autostage. Don't touch anything and watch a bunch of close calls as Mario maneuvers through this stage.

Mad Monster Mansion (Banjo): 8E8B-0000-0086-67A3

Premise: Based upon the stage of the same name in Banjo-Kazooie, remade in Mario Maker. Explore the side rooms or the main hall of the Mansion, jump down the well, or even make your way through the haunted hedge maze to get to the church! Finish line's at Mumbo's hut!

Spiral Mountain (Digimon): 702C-0000-008F-289C

Premise: Based upon the place in the last arc of Digimon Adventure (that's the first season), the land, sea, mountains, and cities have all been spiraled into one large peak. Ascend it, defeat the Four Masters, and save the Digital World!

Also I edited a few older stages to make them a bit more fair.

Air Man Stage (Mega Man 2) Remix: 4EC8-0000-008F-2BEC

Flying Machine (Shovel Knight): 598A-0000-008F-367A

Castle of Choice: 30E7-0000-008F-4D28

Two new stages from me:

• "It's Co-Optitude Time!": [92A2-0000-008A-A02F] This has a theme based on Co-Optitude, the (mostly) retro Let's Play on the Geek & Sundry YouTube channel, with Felicia Day and her brother Ryon.  I'm especially looking for feedback on this one because I'd like to bring it to the attention of the channel and hosts.
  • "Topsy-yvruT": [b0AC-0000-008E-1634] Getting through this level will require an occasional change in perspective.

They're out there, and they tend to be pretty popular. Peach from OCR made one, actually: 5435-0000-003A-55B1

That one is amazing. I've put some music into a couple of my levels, and it's trickier than it looks--the item limit hits pretty fast, and placing notes so they don't overlap or conflict, with only about 2 octaves to work with, is really tough. Peach managed to put in melody, bass, and percussion and really nailed it. Perfect length, too.

As for blind jumps, I have a level with a bit of a dead end with a 1-up in a box. I expected people to understand that they needed to go back because there was nothing beyond that platform, but there are several red X's where people have jumped blindly to their deaths. The tendency for other levels to have blind jumps has conditioned people to commit suicide in my level. Great.

I know what you mean. I made Topsy-yvruT so that the sub-level is almost exactly identical to the main level (but upside down), down to coin placement. And when people see coins, even when they're plainly right at the bottom of the screen and meant to be collected on the flip side, down they go.

Turns out I got truly unlucky with my first go at Expert. My first three levels took about 40 lives, but I haven't had a net loss of more than a couple of lives each for the next 4 or 5. I haven't had the frustration tolerance to finish yet, though.

New stage: "Weighted Companion Shell" (DF06-0000-009D-31A5). If Cave Johnson lived in the Mushroom Kingdom and worked with Koopa shells instead of portal devices, you might end up with something a little like this.

... I may have to play the stage myself and leave hint comments. It's lightly puzzle-ish--everything you're supposed to do seems really obvious to me--but the 0% completion rate speaks to greater difficulty than I'd intended. Then again, I'm not sure if people are really trying; one player walked right up to the Koopa Troopa at the start, got killed by it, and quit.

Level 3: If there's a bomb on the screen, hit it immediately.  Otherwise, spend all your time hitting the boss.  Only go after the tiny split flies if there's nothing else currently on the screen.

Level 3's unfortunately really exacting with its timing, but it only took me about 4 tries once I'd stumbled on the advice above.

I finally passed the game, and learned that, despite the fact that this is the advice I see everywhere, it's actually wrong. I can now pass level 3 100% of the time (and have played it several times to make sure), with several seconds to spare.

The trick is this: ignore the bombs when the boss is on screen. Priority becomes boss, bombs, gnats. The reason is that the boss flies away once you've destroyed a certain number of bombs, and you want it to stay on screen for as long as possible. Sure, it costs you a second when each bomb goes off, but it's totally worth it for the extra boss-whacking time.

There was an interview with Takashi Tezuka recently (longtime producer of the Mario series), and one of the things he said rings true.

There is a tendency for the courses people make to be a little harder than they think they are. The creator already knows the design, where they have placed their traps, and the best route to take. So it would generally be easier for them to play through than someone trying it for the first time. As a result, the course ends up being more difficult than the creator meant it to be.

Source

That should explain your low completion percentage.

There was an interview with Takashi Tezuka recently (longtime producer of the Mario series), and one of the things he said rings true.

Source

That should explain your low completion percentage.

Yeah, I saw that, and it certainly explains some of my other courses. But this one in particular has very little that can kill you, except for whacking yourself with the shell. There are no traps, no surprises, no alternate routes.

I'm increasingly thinking there needs to be a new difficulty level in the 100-Mario challenge. An "expert" level can be anywhere from "tough but fair" that probably needs a few deaths just to figure out the course, to deathtrap guessing-game BS, to Kaizo-level insanity. I always finish Normal difficulty with 95+ lives left over, and I haven't finished Expert yet at all. The worst are the ones that start off moderately challenging, so you spend a few lives figuring them out, but have a finale that's just absurd, or worse, features surprise deaths. I end up wasting lives on those and then skipping them anyway.

:<

Recently bought the game a few days ago. It feels limited in the beginning but as I kept playing, the money I spent on it seems to be fitting. 

I did the 100 Mario challenge without loosing a life first time I tried it, primarily because of the abundance of the auto Mario levels I kept getting which ruins the experience. I think Nintendo might patch this if they haven't already. 

I enjoy the game even though I spend more then an hour to upload my levels, I only make easy levels because I am too lazy to upload hard levels that I can only clear in edit lol.

:<

Expert isn't that bad if you're careful. I've finished it like 12 times now. Only because you can only earn like 20 costumes in Easy and 45 in Normal, so now I'm stuck doing Expert to get the rest.

I got capped at 15 easy and 36 normal. I didn't even use any amiibo or anything. Baaah. Like you said, it's not hard to finish Expert mode, but it takes at least twice as long as Normal mode because of all the skipping.

New set of Zelda courses, starting with:

Cavern of Courage

7577-0000-00AB-C250

You can go to my profile from there and play the rest in order. They're labeled Z-1 through Z-4.

I also tried my hand at a music course...or more accurately, a course with original music in it. I wanted to make a space level with the SMB3 underground style, but with something other than the underground or bonus area music. It's hard! You're very limited in the amount of enemies you can use to trigger note blocks (I ran out), and you have limited room for harmonies if you're trying to keep most of it off-screen. Every note takes up several blocks of vertical space. Makes me wish the game came with its own music sequencer so you could just add tracks to your levels.

Ice Blue Raspberry Galaxy

B2ED-0000-00A8-9687

• 2 weeks later...

I just got capped at 15 Easy as well. Still working through Normal, I spend more time making than playing.

I was about to post a couple new levels of my own, but I'm probably going to remake them and a few of my others now that checkpoints are being added to the game (next Wednesday). Unfortunately, KP9000's repository doesn't have any functionality to update or delete entries. I'll just use Nintendo Life and MarioMade.

I will share this one, though: B155-0000-00B1-31F5. I made a crappy version of "Still Alive" for Weighted Companion Shell, so I made a better version as a standalone level.

Hi, guys!  I checked out a few of your courses.  Pretty neat!  And Hylian Lemon, thanks for sharing my first Melody Road!  All of my Melody Roads are showcased on my YouTube channel.

Here's a spooky Melody Road, made available just in time for Hallowe'en! A unique take on the iconic ghostly theme of Luigi's Mansion is the spotlight of this stage. Unlike the speedrun gameplay of past Melody Roads, this one slows things down a bit with an autoscrolling adventure through a new haunted manor. Surprises and various details await the player at every turn! There are rumours that a new music remix accompanies a familiar foe in the old mausoleum....

Melody Roads: Luigi's Mansion

BA4C-0000-00BD-7923

Melody Roads: Luigi's Mansion

BA4C-0000-00BD-7923

This was the top US level by star count this past weekend, nice job! And I believe it was #2 after a Japanese level. I especially enjoyed the boss segment with accompanying music.

Apparently someone discovered my "Still Alive," too. It sat there for a week and a half, slowly getting a star every couple of days, then on Friday it exploded, getting plays and stars in a steady stream while I was building other levels. Over 100 stars at last count. Not sure how that happened, I can't find anywhere online that mentioned it. Did it show up as "Featured" to anyone else?

Which is kind of frustrating. Making these things isn't tremendously hard (Peach's being an exception, since they're actually playable levels as well) if you have any music experience, and especially if there's sheet music. But last time I checked, something like 80% of the top starred levels were music, and the rest were automatic. Making a good, fun, actual level is much harder, but they don't get any recognition unless they get featured by a popular site or streamer (and they mostly stick to things featured elsewhere, or made by other popular media personalities). I feel like several of my other levels are much more deserving of recognition. The only way to use the game to find non-automatic levels is to set the difficulty filter to "Expert" (even "Normal" shows mostly auto/music levels, it seems).

Speaking of which, I reiterate that the game needs another difficulty tier. I saw levels in Expert with clear rates of about 12%. That's not tremendously hard; I usually beat levels like that on the first or second try. These should really be separate from the levels with <4% completion rate (that seems to be about my threshold for where levels move from "challenging" to "frustrating"). And of course the ones with <0.1% completion are another beast entirely.

I got a sizeable influx of players on Ice Blue Raspberry Galaxy, too. I'm guessing people like to look through popular makers' recently starred courses. Anything you touch turns to gold, Peach. :<

The new update is available now! Checkpoints, size-sensitive powerups, and event courses. I unlocked a Tri Force Heroes costume from one of the event courses, so I guess that's a thing that happens. I also reuploaded my first course with a checkpoint in it. For everyone's reference, you can delete a level without losing those stars from your total. You'll lose the nice comments and play data and stuff, though.

Someone left a "Fuck you" comment on my Mad Monster Mansion stage (I don't know why, apparently they didn't realize that you can still enter pipes if there's vines going into them). Also that's literally what the handwritten message said. I reported it.

Anyways, I made a new stage, Roller Ghoster Tycoon. Apparently if you pass an upside-down checkpoint the M looks like W so I used Wario Mystery Mushrooms for it. Also the joke is all the ghosts are the people you've killed on your death coasters you've made in Roller Coaster Tycoon, you monster!

You can check it out at 45A1-0000-00D6-BA5E

Also since Nintendo deleted a stage of mine, I've reuploaded it, nerfing it slightly and adding a checkpoint. It's found at 0DDC-0000-00D6-9C06

• 1 month later...

New update is out! Comes with three new objects.

Bumper: Shake the Grinder (those sawblades) to get a donut that you bounce off all sides of.

P-Switch Door: Shake the normal doors to get blue ones that only appear when a P-Switch is active. P-Switches have been redesigned to be blue in all themes, btw.

Fire Koopa Clown Car: Shake the normal Koopa Clown Car to get one with a fiery paint job. Hit Y to shoot a fireball from the car's mouth, hold Y and release for a larger fireball that does more damage and can break most walls.

Already made a shmuppy stage using the last one. Apparently that's what it was designed for. 

Oh, and that Bookmark site is now up. Pretty nice, you can even directly share stages or your profiles. Also found a pretty slick Metroid-themed stage using it. Never would've found it otherwise haha