Lufia's Theme 'That Girl I Knew' Submitted

avaris

Which Style?  

713 members have voted

1. 1. Which Style?

• Asian Instruments/Pop Ballad
    • Orchestral All the way

Ok, now it's getting better. But it just don't feel allright with the flute playing the same as the piano in the beginning. Try to write something different. You should put pads in the intro too!. Try changing the drums! at least give it a try!! (i don't mean changing the beat, wich is nice , but that ballad-like drumset.).

You gonna hate me forever, but i got an idea.

Your tune is in D major. Then in the variation part, just after beginning once again that melodic loop, instead of repeating again, change the last chord for F# Major and make up a minor part in B Minor. Then, you can go back to the other thing using A major. Check that out. Is nice to make a variation part.

This is getting hot, but it needs a variation part. Give a try to changing the drums. If you didn't like, you can always change them back.

I definately agree with Prometheus, the drum need to be different, maybe you could use the TGSF21x soundfont from soundfonts.darkesword.com or pc_drums_42 from http://www.personalcopy.com/home.htm in the sidebar go to soundfonts and you should find it

Whoa, today everyone's agreeing with me. Is there any psycho plan behind this? :P

Haha, hey ur making good points. Yeah I thought u meant to change the drums completely and I said there and listened to it a bunch of times yesterday and I was like some of the instruments are off but the beat and rythm works really well. Another good thing I noticed is that this song really grows on you the more u listen to it.

Ok in my next update for this, I'll have the pads more in the foreground in the beggining (they are there right now, but the velocities are turned way way down, they fade into the song) As far as adding bass, i don't think it would go well, but i might construct somethng and see how it is.

Okay now onto the possible chord changes. Ur description is confusing. But here much to my agony I'll write out part of the song, so I can fully get what ur saying so I can try ur changes. Chord progressions are from the piano playin in the background. FYI the melody plays C#, the piano plays C though. So VII for the piano is C.

D E F# G A B C#

1st part: 0:00-0:19 I I IV IV V V I V

D D G G A A D A

2nd part: 0:19-0:36 I I IV IV V V I I

D D G G A A D D

3rd part: 0:36-0:54 IV V IV III II V I I

G A G F# E A D D

Chorus 1: 0:54-1:14 IV V I x3 I II

G A D x3 D E

4th part: 1:14-1:32 I VII VI V IV III II V

D C B A G F# E A

5th part: 1:32-1:59 I VII VI V IV III II V VII VII I I

D C B A G F# E A C C D D

6th part: 1:59-2:17 I I IV IV V V I V

D D G G A A D A

7th part: 2:17-2:34 I I IV IV V V I I

D D G G A A D D

Chorus 2: 2:34-2:55 IV V I x3 I II

G A D x3 D E

8th part: 2:55-3:13 I VII VI V IV II II V

D C B A G F# E A

9th part: 3:13-3:43 I VII VI V IV II II V VII VII I I

D C B A G F# E A C C D D

Whaha now you must hate me Prometheus. From your description it seemed like you thought the F# being played was in different section. So with that lil setup I just added lay it on me exactly where the variation in the piano is.

FYI: while the chord structure is the same in some parts the meldoy isn't.

I don't like the bass drum you're using. You should probably be using a more jazz-ish kick there. This one just sounds like you're hitting a plastic bag.

Haha ur right bout the plastic bag i'll fix that one

rpggamer180: I'll try to work on the flute sounds a lil bit. It's actually a flute and an oboe playin a lil softer behind it. There are two strings that enter in at 1:59. A cello plays the melody, and then there is a string ensemble that enters in during the background? Do u mean the string ensemble, bc I thought the cello sounded really good? I'll work on both a lil and see what I can come up with.

Update:

Fixed the snare, and some of the mastering all over especially on the strings and flute. It's piccolo flute playing backdrop to the flute. I am getting some clipping on my speakers same for you guys? My speakers are blown out so I don't know if it's the song or the speakers.

Prometheus this version doesn't include the modulation yet. I'll do it after I get back from running errands then rip the mp3 and post it. So check back in about 2-4 hours.

alright i put in the modulation at :43 (part 3) and 1:44 (part 5). And also messed around with a few volume levels.

OK so I think the modulation is completely kick ass and a brilliant idea at 1:44. At :43 sounds just a lil off in my opinion. Ok so if u guys notice any notes where the volume level or the dynamics seem off let me know. One or two more updates and then I'm submitting this one. I don't do a ton of orchestral style mixes so any advice on the mastering and production is welcome.

Putfile link

http://media.putfile.com/lufia-modulation

Googlepages link

http://avaris.studios.googlepages.com/Lufia3modulation.mp3

I don't know if those are my speakers but i feel a little distortion (try to do some mastering in cool edit, or simply reduce the volume in the sequencer and do the mp3 once again). I have to confess that this sounds much better, but the armonic structure is not what i expected (I though you were goin to play D Major and then of a sudden F# Major and finally B minor, yeah, thats violent :-D). Though, your way is very nice.The tune feels much better. in 3:31 the flute plays a note wich is a semitone lower than what it should be.

Now this is really "chilling-music".

I dunno if there's anything else to make better. Simply submit after you do those minor fixes.

Great job!!

------

PS : What's the point of so much agreeing with Prometheus? You're risking to make your music better, and that's dangerous.

----

Thanks Prometheus and sephfire.

I noticed those volume disparities on first listen but on my second listen I didn't, so I let them pass. But I'll fix em now as someone else has noticed them. Yeah I forgot to change the flute melody too, but I changed all the pads to fit it, fixing that will take two seconds.

Yeah Prometheus I though u wanted to replace F# with Bm, but oh well some of the best things ever created were accidents. Like potatoe chips and cookies. Well I'll make those adjustments and then rip the final version tonight. Yeah guess I'll turn down the overall volume of the mix bc I already got a soft clipper and multibandcompressor for everything.

Okay I am posting this tomorrow unless anyone else can notice anything. I am still getting a lil bit of static in my speakers with flute, but my speakers are so anyone else experiencing the same thing. Prometheus I changed those notes at 3:31, but I think I'm gonna change them back to how they were before which is how they were in the source tune. Those same exact notes play at 1:54. That playing the melody at a semitone happens in numerous places throughout the whole piece. Unless everyone else objects i won't change it. Thanks for all ur comments so far guys, to think I only started making this just as a cover for fun.

Edit: Wow Im an idiot, I accidently turned off the soft clipper and forgot to turn it back on. Well since it takes 4 hours for this thing to rip, guess I won't be able to give it another listen to till tomorrow.

Putfile link

http://media.putfile.com/lufias-theme-that-girl-i-knew

Googlepages link

http://avaris.studios.googlepages.com/ThatGirlIKnew.mp3

Okay, lets see. You did the thing i didn't wanted to mean. I wanted to mean that you should move one semitone up that note, but i explained myself badly and you lowered the note a semitone. :P. Sorry about that.

I really like the song, but i think the judges will argue about the drums. Maybe the hi-hat should be less loud and the snare should be a little louder

And when you finish with that, just send, SEND!! :-D

it's very nice, but i still think it is too close to the original.

i'm not really digging the drums either, especially the high hat. It doesn't flow well at all, with the start and stopping of it. if you were going to do that, have the hat slightly open for the last attack so it rings a bit.

good luck though, im cheering for you!

Alrighty it's submitted, if you guys have any clipping please let me know right away so I can fix it. My speaker's are blown so...you get the picture.

Googlepages Link

http://avaris.studios.googlepages.com/LufiaandtheFortressofDoomThatGirlIKnewOCReMix.mp3

Putfile Link

http://media.putfile.com/Lufia-That-Girl-I-Knew-90