Lacking inspiration and motivation lately

Virtual Boy

I tend to get some of my best inspiration when I'm not sitting around trying to find inspiration. I do find listening to a genre you don't normally listen to(but can enjoy) to help though.

Also, taking a break from anything related to music production for a day or two can help you start fresh the next time you sit down and give it a shot.

Listen to a song you really like, then try to write a song just like it with similar elements and structure but change it all just enough that it is your own. That's basically the gist of making music anyway, but to specifically do THAT and then just have a little fun with it can be a great thing. 

Alternatively find an output for the music where you can get instant gratification in the form of feedback or comments, such as Youtube or somewhere not governed by a panel ;) Maybe even the workshop forums if it's a remix. 

Lastly you could listen to this and just give up 

Yeah, I was doing some chemistry programming today and now I have an idea of what to do next on a track for the SFRG compo. =P

This sometimes happens to me but the other way around. If I have a problem with my code, I make music and very often I find a solution.

Unfortunately inspiration is a fickle thing. If you can't find some by listening to music then try to take a short walk, listen to nature (if it's possible) and just let your mind flow.

• 2 months later...

This might sound like a strange idea but what I sometimes do is just press the record button completely unprepared and hum some random stuff into the microphone. Then I try to transcribe it into notes and finally make an arrangement around the melody.

I don't know if this would work for you but it helps me when I'm out of ideas.

I have periods where I get nothing done, musically, either because I'm just in a slump, or because I'm more inspired to do other stuff, typically gaming or writing. I tend to bounce between those interests, having times where gaming is largely irrelevant because I'm working intensely on some music, or vice versa. Some fluctuation of interest is (probably) normal.

That said, I try to keep my music stuff up to date. I listen to my tracks to find issues, listen to other stuff to just enjoy music away from actually trying to improve it, I sometimes come up with an idea that I want to score (eg a scene, a concept, an event) and try to do that, and sometimes I just mess around on the keyboard or in a synth to see what comes out of it. If it's any good, I'll know later when I revisit it, more inspired to work on music.

I've been writing music since I was 16, to...middling results, I've never really made anything outstanding but I've always enjoyed doing it.  Lately however I have no ideas what to write, and even worse I feel hardly inclined to even write anything. How do I fix this? I want to write again. 

Are you me? Like, seriously.