Chrono Trigger - Schala's Theme (Progressive Metal)

RichaadEB

Absolutely awesome stuff! I love the djent and the crazy effects like around 3:45. The cymbals feel a bit buried, but it might just be me. Arrangement-wise, I feel like the mix drags on a bit, and it could use some down time in the middle of the song for some sonic variety. You did it in your Midna's Lament mix with the saxophone section, which I thought worked well.

I'll mostly echo the sentiment above: awesome technique, and a really good, powerful arrangement. :) I would have loved some more variation though (at least regarding chord progressions), and as such I thought that last go at 4:10 was kinda unnecessary and made the piece overstays its welcome. It may also be the Schala melody on keyboard that gets a bit tiring after a while. But all in all, I loved it.

Absolutely awesome stuff! I love the djent and the crazy effects like around 3:45. The cymbals feel a bit buried, but it might just be me. Arrangement-wise, I feel like the mix drags on a bit, and it could use some down time in the middle of the song for some sonic variety. You did it in your Midna's Lament mix with the saxophone section, which I thought worked well.

Thanks! There's a LOTTT of stuff going on at the high end, so I'd definitely believe it if someone told me I possibly went overboard trying to tame that beast. I feel you about the variety, having heard mixed things about it. Balls-to-the-wall types love it while with others it might feel a bit stale. I think Midna definitely is a bit more on the accessible side of things.

I'll mostly echo the sentiment above: awesome technique, and a really good, powerful arrangement. :) I would have loved some more variation though (at least regarding chord progressions), and as such I thought that last go at 4:10 was kinda unnecessary and made the piece overstays its welcome. It may also be the Schala melody on keyboard that gets a bit tiring after a while. But all in all, I loved it.

Thanks! I was kinda going for a Born of Osiris approach, with it just repeating in the background while adjusting the volumes. I found that if I took the keys out during a section it felt super empty. This could be that I'm just a sucker for wall-of-sound approaches, which I think I need to get over eventually. Thanks for the feedback!