*NO* Sonic & Knuckles 'Enter Sandopolis'

Chimpazilla

Hi people!  I would really like to submit this work to Ocremix, its a personal version of "Sandopolis" theme, from the old classic Sonic & Knuckles game. Hope you like it.

Thanks!
Facundo

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Game: Sonic & Knuckles
  • Name of arrangement: "Enter Sandopolis"
  • Name of individual songs arranged: Sandopolis theme zone 1 + Sandopolis theme zone 2

Edited by Flexstyle
vote finalized

Very creative, so many varied sounds here!  I like how the arrangement slows down and speeds up, giving it some good moodiness.  0:42-1:20 is almost identical to 1:48-2:25, with only very subtle differences.  It isn't copy pasta but it's almost too similar.  I don't have a big problem with this though, since the rest of the arrangement is so creative and well performed.  Lots of discordant ideas that work, both musically and sonically.  I hear plenty of source with some interesting original transitions and variations on the theme.  Fadeout ending, grrr.  Still,

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Man I have to disagree. I am really not feeling this at all. I feel like the instruments are all vying for attention. Everything is so in-your-face and they all have this very exposed, fakey quality. I also feel that with a track that's under 3 minutes, you recycled one of the more creative ideas nearly verbatim in the second half (the slowed down section). Even then, the slowed down section sounds disjointed in a way that doesn't feel intentional.

Maybe I'm assuming too much, but I'm gonna have to say NO on this one.

I'm more on Shariq's side here. I think the track ideas and the soundscape are pretty unique and fun, but I feel like the execution isn't quite there. The samples and mixing sound pretty mechanical, which is definitely noticed in the slow down sections. I'm also it feeling the vocal sample, which just sounds too fake to me.

The arrangement does need a little work as sections are sounding too similar, but I think a lot of your ideas are good here. There's plenty of source apparent, so maybe some original writing can be used to broaden your mix. The fade-out ending is also not cutting it here, IMO.

Good start here; hit up the WIP forums to get some more feedback and send this one back soon!

No (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

I agreed with DragonAvenger on the fadeout being lame, because the track roughly felt like two loops, and then a fade into the start of a third loop. It's important to note, however, that if everything were executed fine on the arrangement & production, the fadeout finish wouldn't pull it down to NO.

Will keep it short and sweet, but the sample timings/articulations were very rigid (the biggest problem), and the textures didn't click at all, with 1) the soundscape sounding hollow most of the time despite the busyness, and 2) the lack of realism in the samples sounding very exposed. At its busiest, the drumwork just feels like it's splashing over the top of the instrumentation and not integrating with it.

Repeating the slowdown effect verbatim around 1:48 was a retread, but the instrumentation does vary in the second half, so it's not as much of a negative to me as it was to DarkeSword.

We have some odd-sounding tracks that can feel disjointed (e.g. http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01436), so we're not weirded out by that. But what's in place now doesn't sound cohesive at all. Co-signed with the others on NO.

Have to agree with the three NOs on this one. Larry nailed it for me:

I agreed with DragonAvenger on the fadeout being lame, because the track roughly felt like two loops, and then a fade into the start of a third loop. It's important to note, however, that if everything were executed fine on the arrangement & production, the fadeout finish wouldn't pull it down to NO.

Will keep it short and sweet, but the sample timings/articulations were very rigid (the biggest problem), and the textures didn't click at all, with 1) the soundscape sounding hollow most of the time despite the busyness, and 2) the lack of realism in the samples sounding very exposed. At its busiest, the drumwork just feels like it's splashing over the top of the instrumentation and not integrating with it.

Definitely bring this over to the crew in the workshop forums if you want to continue working on it!

NO