FF2 - The Rebel Army WIP (BIG UPDATE 10-21-06)

SSB

As a trombonist, I can tell you that your trombone samples don't sound quite right. They sound like a euphonimum player trying to emulate a trombone's sound. The sound of your sample is a bit too.. cool. A slightly warmer, harsher sound, especially on the 8th note runs would make them sound worlds better. As a reference point for the style I mean, listen to Al Grey. He has a hot and firey trombone sound. That kind of sound would really match your trumpet samples. What you have right now for the trombone samples sounds sort of like J.J. Johnson (the best jazz trombonist ever, who had all sorts of triple tounging skills for the coolest cleanest sound ever). However, that sound does not match up with your trumpet samples.

Also, adding a bass trombone is a FANTASTIC idea (I'm a jazz bass trombonist as well. It's such a great instrument, and it really is unappreciated. However, playing it makes finding work easy.). Just make sure that it doesn't sound like a tuba. In jazz, the bari sax, bass bone, and stand up bass form their own section much of the time, and mirror eachothers parts. Work that in there, and it will sound hip and hot.

All that aside, excellent work thus far. I enjoy listening to this WIP a lot, and would love to see how far you can take it.

Y'know, the original was never high on my list of favorite themes from Final Fantasy games. Your arrangement is freaking awesome, though... something I'd love to play myself. I especially like having the beginning portion being similar to the original version, then breaking into a jazz style for the rest of the song.

The only issue I'd have is the ending is very... underwhelming. I'd prefer ending the piece on more of an upbeat note than what you've got there. Perhaps at the end of the section at around 3:15, you could transition back into something like what you've got at 2:28, and go for a big finish at the end of that phrase? Or maybe you could just finish it up at 3:01ish. Just a thought, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...